Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 07:19 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times

Advertisements

I have heard some say that you need to have a "believer's baptism" or some other statement to that effect. I was baptized in church at a fairly young age. I am pretty certain that I have always trusted in Christ so I have never had a huge revelation about being converted into the faith. I have grown in faith in many ways later in my life, however.

But at the time I was baptized I didn't fully know what I was doing. I wasn't even able to communicate with the adults who were explaining what this represented.

Some have said that my early baptism was enough. But others would say that I need to be baptized again. The thing is, if I were to do it now I feel like I would be doing it out of fear of not observing a certain ritual.

Being baptized in front of your church members (they don't know your heart anyway) and friends is not the same as doing it in the first century when you were taking a stand against the state.

What if a church said the you need to be baptized first before you can serve in their church. Would you do it out of their policy? Is that even right? (I'm not even sure if this occurs, just speculating.)

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 06:20 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,045,540 times
Jesus Christ KNOWS your heart - good or bad. Rituals aren't going to change your heart. Your behavior will. TRY to follow His way.
If you want to get baptized, then do it. If you don't want to, then don't.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:51 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,459,775 times
churches cannot figure out what to do. I was baptized at an adult when I became a believer. then, several years later, I moved to florida. I met a guy who told me that I need to be rebatized because I was not a real believer. he was from the church of Christ camp.
Well, I said no, and moved on. the sad thing is that I really began to enjoy that church and the people. but I never get emotionally attached to any church I ever went to. so walking away was not hard. maybe you are attached to that church, but I would not baptize so I can be a member of some church.
and If you ever have kids, you should be the one to baptize them, you do not need some person who is ordained by man. you are the priest of your home, that authority is yours. they are your kids, you should personally baptize them

Old 09-30-2013, 07:15 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
If your calling Jesus Lord, then obey Him. He provided the Holy Spirit to teach you God's will . Spend the time before the Lord and Obey what He tells you to do . Having God's govern is what all this is about , not what men think. Jesus said Blessed are they that do hunger and thirst after righteousness ,for they shall be filled . But if you only coming as a casual interest your neither hungery nor thirsty for God's influence. Get serious with God, and He will get serious with you.In love.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:28 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I have heard some say that you need to have a "believer's baptism" or some other statement to that effect. I was baptized in church at a fairly young age. I am pretty certain that I have always trusted in Christ so I have never had a huge revelation about being converted into the faith. I have grown in faith in many ways later in my life, however.

But at the time I was baptized I didn't fully know what I was doing. I wasn't even able to communicate with the adults who were explaining what this represented.

Some have said that my early baptism was enough. But others would say that I need to be baptized again. The thing is, if I were to do it now I feel like I would be doing it out of fear of not observing a certain ritual.

Being baptized in front of your church members (they don't know your heart anyway) and friends is not the same as doing it in the first century when you were taking a stand against the state.

What if a church said the you need to be baptized first before you can serve in their church. Would you do it out of their policy? Is that even right? (I'm not even sure if this occurs, just speculating.)

What do you think?
There are 40,000 protestant denominations and most make up rules or interpret the Bible as they please. Pick one that you like, but be aware that there is no clear guidance governing these churches.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:40 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,771,662 times
Baptism is a symbol of death and rebirth. One is "buried" by being submerged, then "risen" by coming back out of the water. If someone did not experience that spiritual rebirth, they just got wet.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:45 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
Baptism is a symbol of death and rebirth. One is "buried" by being submerged, then "risen" by coming back out of the water. If someone did not experience that spiritual rebirth, they just got wet.
That is just your understanding about baptism, it's not everyone's. Personally, I don't buy that idea about baptism at all. I believe that baptism is the sacrament that in the new covenant replaces circumcision in the old. It's a sign and a seal of being a member of a covenant community. It does not convey salvation in any sense.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:54 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
Always remember that first and foremost, it is faith that saves. Many baptized people will be in hell, since they died with no faith. Jesus commands baptism, for all Christians, even babies. Note in Jesus words to make disciples of all nations in Math 28, he commands baptism for all, not all over an particular age. Note also that the Bible says nothing about any "age of accountability" It's a man made doctrine and has no basis in scripture. So for even babies and little children, need faith and this is what God gives in Baptism.

Jn 3:5 Jesus answered, “I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.
Jn 3:6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit.

This is the reason that you have believed as long as you can remember back in your childhood. God promises this also in Acts 2. Ac 2:38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Ac 2:39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.”

Again, you'll notice that all are included and children are specifically mentioned. The bottom line is that no additional baptism is required. This has been the common practice for 2000 years. "believers baptism" was unknown until the 1500's and even today, most new Christian are still baptized as babies/ little children as practiced in the Roman Catholic church, Eastern Orthodox, and Lutherans, and many other denominations.

If you want additional reading material, send me a PM and I'll be happy to help you.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:09 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
In the Catholic Church baptism is the beginning. This is followed by first communion and later on by confirmation when the kids are teenagers.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:28 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
You know, this 'believers baptism" as it is practised in the Anabaptist denominations paints a pretty picture with the dying to self and the coming up reborn and all the other symbolism the act demonstrates. The problem with it is it's not scriptural. Also, it's not a point of doctrine that will make much of a difference in a Christian's walk in the world or impact his faith in any negative manner. It's for that reason I never dispute with believers about it. I will tell them what I believe and why but on the negative side of things, such as proving their ideas are wrong I never ever attempt that in any way.
It's just not an essential pillar of the faith. When it comes to those pillars that are essential I'm like a bulldog with a bone. I'll never let go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity