Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2015, 03:03 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,765,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
They were killed by the controllers, Finn, the people with an agenda, the ones who stood to lose when people operated in love instead of fear.
Jesus said otherwise about why people are offended. Why did He say regular people would be offended by the truth?

Your comment about message of Jesus offending people because it threatens their way of life is very true. I am glad you thought about it came to that conclusion. It proves you are starting to see what I am trying to say.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 07-25-2015 at 03:31 PM..

Old 07-25-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I actually quite agree that people are offended by the message of Christ---look at all the so-called Christians on this board who are offended by some of us telling them that the message of Christ is about love and forgiveness not sin and judgment.
I was offended by message of love before I embraced it, and so was Nicky Cruz and millions of other unbelievers before Jesus drew them in. Later I learned about the other things Jesus talked about, but that has nothing to do with being offended earlier.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:52 PM

28,139 posts, read 30,070,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The point is the speak the truth. If the truth offends some, then so be it. Speak the truth. That is the instruction of Jesus.
I can't disagree with that. That's why I make a point of always speaking the truth. Most of the time, people aren't offended. But now that you mention it, there are a few people on this forum who have been extremely offended when I've spoken the truth. So maybe I'm doing a good job after all.

Last edited by Katzpur; 07-25-2015 at 04:43 PM..

Old 07-25-2015, 08:05 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,461,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I can't disagree with that. That's why I make a point of always speaking the truth. Most of the time, people aren't offended. But now that you mention it, there are a few people on this forum who have been extremely offended when I've spoken the truth. So maybe I'm doing a good job after all.
Yes, like pointing out that love of God is required, as Jesus said, and not actually having that love, which includes obedience, brings:

KJV John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:06 PM

865 posts, read 1,079,682 times
You'd like to believe that atheists are offended by Christianity (and to be fair, some atheists are). All I'm offended about is the fact that religious people have the power in my society to wield their fantasies in order to encroach upon my freedom in this life. If it weren't for that, Christianity would be nothing more than a joke or a psychological curiosity.

Many Christians are greatly offended by the mere mention of atheism. I believe that for people like yourself (perhaps not specifically you, but certainly some Christians) to be able to continue believing your religion, you need to know that the majority of people think the same way as you. Having strength in numbers makes it easier to ignore the fact that you have absolutely no evidence based reason to support your faith. You believe only because Christianity resonates with your own emotional need to feel that your life has significance to the universe.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Would you like to answer the questions I asked before?

Old 07-26-2015, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micC View Post
You'd like to believe that atheists are offended by Christianity (and to be fair, some atheists are). All I'm offended about is the fact that religious people have the power in my society to wield their fantasies in order to encroach upon my freedom in this life. If it weren't for that, Christianity would be nothing more than a joke or a psychological curiosity.

Many Christians are greatly offended by the mere mention of atheism. I believe that for people like yourself (perhaps not specifically you, but certainly some Christians) to be able to continue believing your religion, you need to know that the majority of people think the same way as you. Having strength in numbers makes it easier to ignore the fact that you have absolutely no evidence based reason to support your faith. You believe only because Christianity resonates with your own emotional need to feel that your life has significance to the universe.
OK, don't want to be bothered by them. That is yet another way of being offended, although this brand of offence isn't really related to the truth of Christ, but rather to the fact that you are annoyed by people "selling" something you are not interested in.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:50 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,739,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I was offended by message of love before I embraced it, and so was Nicky Cruz and millions of other unbelievers before Jesus drew them in. Later I learned about the other things Jesus talked about, but that has nothing to do with being offended earlier.
Yet if you preach against sin and not provide the story of love there is no Good News.

You cannot antagonize and then evangelize. You cannot insult and then inspire.

The word "sin" should never leave the lips of any person unless they are talking about their own.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:01 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,375,203 times
If i be lifted up has an offense i will send all men away from me . John 12:32

Old 07-26-2015, 10:37 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,375,203 times
Snce the fundamentalists of today cannot provide an example of Jesus being offensive with the truth to anyone other than the fundamentalists, here's an example of Jesus being offensive with the truth to the fundamentalists of his day

Why do you not understand my speech? even because you cannot hear my word.

Here we have Jesus saying you just don't get it and you cannot hear my word. I am amazed one of those fundies didn't answer him back and say we have the bible of cause we get it. He then goes on to say they are of their Father the devil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity