Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2019, 05:27 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
In my opinion I think atheists are more offended about Christians saying believe us and be “saved” and then behaving in a very non-Christlike ways
Is that why they killed the Apostles?

Old 06-13-2019, 08:08 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They killed the apostles because they lived in a primitive, barbaric time and place and pissed off the wrong people.

They were uneducated and behaved stupidly. But then again, it was a dumb time and savage culture.

It's quite understandable if you read the barbarism contained in that collection of old pamphlets which became the bible.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
They killed the apostles because they lived in a primitive, barbaric time and place and pissed off the wrong people.

They were uneducated and behaved stupidly. But then again, it was a dumb time and savage culture.

It's quite understandable if you read the barbarism contained in that collection of old pamphlets which became the bible.
Barbaric times? People are still offended by the same exact message, and (as evidenced on this thread), people still attack the messenger.

The main counter argument here has been "its not the message, its the messenger". It was that way then, and its the same way today.

People are too proud to admit they need Gods forgiveness. Donald Trump said he has never done anything which would require God's forgiveness, and "If I do something wrong, I just try and make it right. I don't bring God into that picture". Lot of people see it that way.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:46 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Barbaric times? People are still offended by the same exact message, and (as evidenced on this thread), people still attack the messenger.

The main counter argument here has been "its not the message, its the messenger". It was that way then, and its the same way today.

People are too proud to admit they need Gods forgiveness. Donald Trump said he has never done anything which would require God's forgiveness, and "If I do something wrong, I just try and make it right. I don't bring God into that picture". Lot of people see it that way.
Lot of people are correct. I dunno about Der Trumpher, but I don't think I've done anything that requires a god-thing's forgiveness either. I've never hurt a god-thing. In fact, any god-thing remotely worthy of a capital G is hurt-proof when it comes to puny humans.

Do you really think the one described in your holy book - which spoke the universe into existence and slaughtered billions with a wave of its finger - would fret about TroutDude's being disobedient to his parents when he was 13?

If so, it's even more of a head-case than the bible depicts.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:01 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:

There are multitudes of believers that are not offended, that is because they believed Jesus Christ and not the message of bible fundamentalism. If you believe in heaven and hell and you are deserving of going to hell because you are worm of a sinner in the eyes of God and that being a worm sinner is offensive to God, then, yes you are going to be offended...... Thankfully that ain't the glad tidings, the good news, the gospel or the heralding of joy and peace to the world, it's a religion created out of man believing in separation from God.

God does not give a rats ass about sin(unless you have a plank in your eye), no word of warning, no pointing of the finger and no condemnation came from the prodigal's Father upon his return, what mattered to the Father was that his son returned to him.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Do you know your church history at all?. Deny it as much as your want there is blood on its hands for many a century. They believed in the bible just like.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:25 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
I think this topic is more for Psychology...the workings of the mind relating to fear and blame and change. (?)

Finn, why do you believe people are offended? Sorry, I forgot if anyone asked you and what your reply was.
(I'm not offended of Jesus' msg...so I would be guessing it was just fear...fear is the core of pride and
guilt, jealousy...and many more things...even theft and alcoholism!
You have to go back and back...but the core is fear.)

And I don't care what the Bible says, (Lol. 'Did she say that?' )....God knows even
a murderer's heart...He knows they are 'messed up',
wounded, acting out, ignorant, was mistreated, their brain didn't develop the 'right way'...
but at their core started out pure...His child; and has endless compassion for each
confused little creature.

(I know many do not believe this way, oh well.)

Old 06-13-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I think this topic is more for Psychology...the workings of the mind relating to fear and blame and change. (?)
Not sure what you mean about fear and blame.

Quote:
Finn, why do you believe people are offended? Sorry, I forgot if anyone asked you and what your reply was.
Believe? I know many are offended, and have given too many example to count. Look at what happened to the Apostles. Look how Nicky Cruz reacted when he heard the Gospel.

Quote:
(I'm not offended of Jesus' msg...so I would be guessing it was just fear...fear is the core of pride and guilt, jealousy...and many more things...even theft and alcoholism! You have to go back and back...but the core is fear.)
I said it is pride, but if you say fear is the core of pride, then I guess we are saying the same thing.

Quote:
And I don't care what the Bible says, (Lol. 'Did she say that?' )....God knows even
a murderer's heart...He knows they are 'messed up', wounded, acting out, ignorant, was mistreated, their brain didn't develop the 'right way'... but at their core started out pure...His child; and has endless compassion for each confused little creature.
Yes, which is why He wants everyone to come to Him, and which is why He told His disciples to spread the Gospel, even thought He knew it would offend many. Of course it does not offend those who have already embraced it.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:

Believe? I know many are offended, and have given too many example to count. Look at what happened to the Apostles. Look how Nicky Cruz reacted when he heard the Gospel.
It is only you and your fundamentalist ancestors that get offended by the Acts of Jesus, which revealed the true nature and character of God. Nicky Cruz became a fundy and inserted that into his testimony. What exactly was it about the good news that offended you?.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:07 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Believe? I know many are offended, and have given too many example to count.
I, also, know people are offended, I'm not sure that is even in question to most here...that wasn't my ques.
I used the word, "Why" do you believe they are...

The core of all our troublesome emotions...anger, blame, jealousy, pride, indignation, hurt feelings, deprivation, shame, competition....when you follow them all, boil down to ...(it's a process most do not do as we know),
they stem from our basic fear of survival as infants....
I'm not going to play therapist here and explain the whole thing...I don't get paid enough.
I will say, on the surface...it is not apparent that stealing something or jealousy are from our route fears
of abandonment, thus, our very life.

And this lack of understanding causes an enormous lack of compassion for our fellow man...
But, God understands...and His compassion is boundless.
Most of the Bible was written from a lack of this compassion and understanding into the classic
struggles of man.

From the moment we are born
We cry.
And each day I know why.

-16c George Herbert, priest ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity