Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 07:30 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Without that one saving act, where would we be? Can we save ourselves?
And the point is that a lot of people keep Jesus nailed to the cross by doing nothing to demonstrate that what He did is meaningful in their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 08:02 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
And the point is that a lot of people keep Jesus nailed to the cross by doing nothing to demonstrate that what He did is meaningful in their lives.
I understand your point. I've always wondered why Catholics keep Jesus on the cross (crucifix). The empty (victorious) cross seems more appropriate. Just mo.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:15 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
I understand your point. I've always wondered why Catholics keep Jesus on the cross (crucifix). The empty (victorious) cross seems more appropriate. Just mo.
Tradition

Old 10-01-2013, 08:20 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I also think it's because it's a nice, clean, symmetrical symbol. I'm sure the OP had in mind whoever it was that once said Christians should really be running around with little empty tombs around their necks.

Does it matter?

Old 10-01-2013, 08:24 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
Jesus, keep me near the cross,
There a precious fountain;
Free to all a healing stream,
Flows from Calv'ry's mountain.

In the cross, in the cross,
Be my glory ever.
Till my raptured soul shall find,
Rest beyond the river.

Near the cross, a trembling soul,
Love and mercy found me;
There the bright and morning star,
Sheds it's beams around me.

Near the cross! Oh lamb of God,
Bring it's scenes before me;
Help me walk from day to day,
With it's shadows o'er me.

Near the cross, I'll watch and wait,
Hoping, trusting ever,
Till I reach the golden strand;
Just beyond the river.

In the cross, in the cross,
Be my glory ever;
Till my raptured soul shall find,
Rest beyond the river.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:34 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Many times people state that Jesus is risen from the dead so why should they have a cross with a Him still on it? Obviously, Jesus did not stay on the cross; it was the tomb He from which He rose, so technically the analogy is slightly illogical. I have never seen Christians walking around with empty tomb jewelry or wall statues. Catholics wear crosses with and without the corpus. The modern day equivalent of wearing a crucifix or a cross would be to wear miniature electric chairs. The cross was an inhumane, tortuous way of death.

Catholics look at the crucifix as a remembrance of His pain and suffering that He placed upon Himself in order that we could by-pass the consequences of sin. Because we receive our salvation through Our Lord’s death, we gaze upon the crucifix with reverence, adoration and thankfulness to Him, the Lord of lords.
The cross is a sacramental. Although we honor or venerate it, it doesn't mean that Catholics worship it. Catholics worship Jesus Christ and His atonement for our sin--completing the New Covenant.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:35 AM

304 posts, read 301,884 times
Default To ICON or not to ICON, that is the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Now, before anyone goes ballistic or starts throwing Bible verses at me, please hear me out.

Yes, I understand that the cross is the most widely recognized symbol of Christianity throughout the world. But it is also a symbol of death. As I understand it, crucifixion was fairly common at the time, so it is not even Jesus specific. That is where it is believed he died, NOT a symbol of resurrection.

Think of it this way - If a leader of your religious order were beheaded or hung, would you wear a mini guillotine or noose around your neck? Even if it were all blinged out or sparkly gold, it would just be weird.

I don't understand why the cross rather than the stylized fish - or any other positive symbol - became more representative of Christianity.
I like the way you think.

His death wasn't even the most important part of His visit. But it's given attention to the point of being Idolatrous. The same folks who wear the cross with pride, are those that gripe about the RCC and their symbols. It's incredible.

The fact you even ask the question is KUDOS to you!

Old 10-01-2013, 09:48 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Catalyst View Post
I like the way you think.

His death wasn't even the most important part of His visit. But it's given attention to the point of being Idolatrous. The same folks who wear the cross with pride, are those that gripe about the RCC and their symbols. It's incredible.

The fact you even ask the question is KUDOS to you!
Wrong! Christianity's foundation is Christ's death on the cross and His resurrection from the grave. Without it, we cannot be saved from God's impending wrath. Everything else Christ taught us begins with the cross. That is why we keep the cross ever before us, and why we observe The Lord's Supper (Communion).

Luke 22:19

“This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me.”

Old 10-01-2013, 10:51 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,047 times
If you have a problem with the cross of JESUS Christ, than you have a BIG problem as there is no other way for you to be forgiven for your rebellion.

The preaching of the cross is foolishness to them that are perishing, but to us that are saved it is the power of God. (Bible paraphrase).

The power is in the BLOOD. This is a common theme throughout Scripture. Without the shedding of innocent blood there can be no forgiveness of sins. The sacrificial atoning death of the innocent (another) in the place of ME (the guilty) is the offense of the cross. Abel offered a better sacrifice (the ordained blood sacrifice) than Cain (His own Works from the cursed ground).

I am guilty and so are YOU for our rebellion. I'm forgiven. Are you? If JESUS is not YOUR Savior dying in YOUR PLACE as a Sinner on that cross than YOU will have to answer for ALL of your sins before a HOLY GOD.

Every THOUGHT .. NOTHING will be secret.. ALL will be made manifest..

ETERNAL SHAME..

This is one to sit, think, and pray on...

GOD has initiated Salvation through JESUS Christ. We must respond in repentance and trust in Him. JESUS is waiting for ALL to come, but not all will come.. Pride and lack of fear of God look to be the prime reasons why people do not come. God receives the humble repentant heart, but resists the proud.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:23 AM

304 posts, read 301,884 times
Quote:
Wrong! Christianity's foundation is Christ's death on the cross and His resurrection from the grave. Without it, we cannot be saved from God's impending wrath. Everything else Christ taught us begins with the cross. That is why we keep the cross ever before us, and why we observe The Lord's Supper (Communion).

Luke 22:19

“This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me.”
I'm not wrong. For you to conclude so without investigating why I said what I said tells me it doesn't matter what the BIBLE says, your opinion is in concrete.

1 John 4:16-18 Tells me that if you don't LOVE correctly, that you aren't in Him and HE isn't in you. At that point, His death is irrelevant, your altar calls is irrelevant, your baptism is irrelevant. If you fail at love you failed at being His.

God isn't a Fascist. His Son on earth wasn't to stop a THREAT. God doesn't threaten. You paint a picture that puts God and Mussolini on the same page of Wiki under Despots.

If that's all you see...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity