Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 01:00 AM

794 posts, read 846,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
Hi I have been attending a church for quite a while but I'm not too sure if it's a good one. Some things that the pastor teaches I do agree with, such as God's grace et. But there are certain things that he supports and teaches that I'm not so sure about. For example, he doesn't believe in marriage, as in he thinks that there should only be civil unions and no marriages of any kind (his wife supports gay marriage) . He is also pro choice and I feel that they kind of teach grace in the wrong way, I don't believe it's a free ride to do whatever you want. He also rants on Republicans a lot and bashes them.

I am conservative but I don't mind a little bashing, but I don't think church is the place to spout his political views. I like the man personally but I just don't really agree with some of his teachings. I want to understand the Bible and God better, and not be mislead. I don't really get anything spiritual about the church, it seems a little too liberal. I'm all in favour of loving others, not judging them, forgiveness etc... It's the opposite extreme of the other church I went to which was based in legalism and not God's grace, this church seems to be do "whatever you want " other extreme.

Also something I noticed is that the church is not growing at all. It's very small and new people often leave in a month.
It seems like this church has more of a political agenda than a religious agenda. The church is not a place for politics. Grace is something that is all too often abused due to a lack of understanding. God's grace is a responsible love and not to be used for things we humans come up with such as pro choice.

I think it would be a good decision to find a new church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 01:17 PM

304 posts, read 302,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I would suggest you take the time to read the New Testament before you select another church, but yes, I wouldn't go back there. Look someplace else, like where they teach from the Bible.
Yeah, nothing like having a 5th grader read a book on astrophysics then go build a rocket to visit mars, right?

This of course is addressing the thought in quotes, not the OP.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:54 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Catalyst View Post
Yeah, nothing like having a 5th grader read a book on astrophysics then go build a rocket to visit mars, right?

This of course is addressing the thought in quotes, not the OP.
Misinterpretation of the Bible AKA literal interpretation of the Bible is a favorite sport of many.

I suggest OP goes to a mainstream long standing Protestant Church.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:42 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
One Prophetic Word of God I heard ,`` For the people who hear hypocrisy from the leaders of the church or other believers is to turn to Jesus in your prayers , and He will clear a path for the true Gospel to be relayed through Him ``....... Where some may just complain their indifferences to others or to demons who are listening , which can create curses which can block Jesus from leading the leaders of His churches , ....See in your prayers which can take a year to many year to bring a church were the tolerances are the same as Jesus knows , or Jesus may lead you out of your church and into a different church were the tolerances are the same

Old 10-06-2013, 11:03 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Was just watching conference for LDS church conference live on BYU TV. They have already spoken on the topic of society moving away from Gods doctrine and that we are not to follow. We are to turn to the scriptures and follow Christs teachings.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:04 PM

48 posts, read 40,044 times
Here is a link to a video you might find interesting. God Bless.

who founded your church? - YouTube

Old 10-07-2013, 03:18 PM

198 posts, read 262,835 times
I believe you should do more studying on your own. Pray when you study that God reveal to you what he wants you to know. Visit different churches, and see which one aligns with what you have privately studied. Don't get discouraged and give up all together. God will direct your path, and he'll give you what you've been looking for.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:31 PM

122 posts, read 217,203 times
Wow........find a new church!!!!!! NOW!!!!!!!!

Old 10-07-2013, 08:19 PM

400 posts, read 601,892 times
I would look into the following things of this church:
  1. Theology
  2. Christology
  3. Anthropology
  4. Soteriology
  5. Eschatology
  6. Ecclesiology
Somewhere along the way this church may have lost its bearings. Do they have an Articles of Faith or some similar document?

God Bless.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:33 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartstarr1960 View Post
I would look into the following things of this church:
  1. Theology
  2. Christology
  3. Anthropology
  4. Soteriology
  5. Eschatology
  6. Ecclesiology
Somewhere along the way this church may have lost its bearings. Do they have an Articles of Faith or some similar document?

God Bless.
These independent churches make their rules as they go. That is why you have 40,000 sects.

As I said, she needs to join the Catholic church or at least an older mainstream Protestant church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity