Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 04:04 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
No one should expect to have eternal life if they do not keep the sayings of Christ.

Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death. John 8:51

If you don't keep his sayings you will surely perish.
Michael, what Jesus said was;
''Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps (téreó - keep; observe) My word (logon; Singular, not plural) he will never see death.'' (John 8:51)
This is just another way of saying what He said in John 5:24.
''Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life (John 5:24).
The word that Jesus was speaking to the Jews in John chapter 8 was that He is God. He had said that if they did not believe that ''...I am He'' (8:24) that they would die in their sins. He told them, ''...before Abraham was born, I am.'' (8:58)

The Jews with whom He was speaking did not believe what Jesus was saying about Himself.

''Keeps My word'' in John 8:51 is simply another way of expressing a positive response to His revelation concerning Himself. A person who believes on Christ will ''never see death,''

Now what does it mean to believe on Christ? John tells us in 1 John.
1 John 5:1a Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God...''

I John 5:5 Who is the one who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.

1 John 5:13 These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.
What you believe about Christ matters. To have eternal life you must believe the gospel message that Jesus is the Son of God, and that He died for your sins and rose again.

The mechanics, or nuts and bolts of the gospel;
1 Cor. 15:3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4] and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,
The gospel message in a nutshell;
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes on Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

You do not earn eternal life by trying to [imperfectly] keep the commands of God, you simply receive as a free gift the eternal life that God offers to you though simply believing on Christ which again means to believe that He is the Son of God and that He died for your sins. And believing that, to put your trust in Him.

The believer should absolutely obey God and strive to keep His commands. But doing so is not the means of eternal salvation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 09:15 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,784,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
No one should expect to have eternal life if they do not keep the sayings of Christ.

Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death. John 8:51

If you don't keep his sayings you will surely perish.
Correct. I know Him and I keep His word.

No one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born from above.

The one who enters through the gate is the shepherd of the sheep.

Anyone who drinks the water I give him shall never become thirsty, the water I give him will be like a fountain inside him rising up to provide eternal life.

Abide in me as I do in you. Just as a branch cannot bear fruit apart from the vine, neither can you apart from me.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:40 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
How Christians Are Deceived
I could tell you if you had a week to spare.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:48 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
IMHO, Christians get messed up and deceived because they either don't know the word, because they haven't studied or learned enough. Or because someone deceives them and leads them astray. Or simply because some things that the Bible teaches they don't like. We all fail to do everything that God commands every day. We are saints and sinners at the same time. This is why when we are again confronted with the reality of our own sinfulness in spite of our best efforts, we have to relearn again and again, what Jesus says to Paul, "My grace is sufficient for you."

Old 10-10-2013, 11:37 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
How Christians Are Deceived?

Many are deceived by those who profess to be Christian:

Because they do not know the Word.
Because they are gullible and led astray.
Because they believe everything, they hear.
Because they are told to follow certain rules.
Because they believe, they are filthy rags.
Because to them, love is merely a feeling.

"Take heed, lest you make a covenant or mutual agreement with the Religious inhabitants of the land."

Human beings tend to focus on the worst, rather, than the best.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:20 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Because they think from a place of separation from God.

Be transformed by the renewing of your mind.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:36 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMurph View Post
Christianity itself is the deception.
Well, many Christians are deceived on what Christianity should be about, often by participation in "Christian" churches. Many others are deceived by presentations by people with programs such as promoting Judaism as "correct" understanding of the message.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:08 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
What the bible says IS DOCTRINE. Therefore I do agree with what Mile is saying.
I believe that we are saved by Faith alone in Christ alone and by nothing else whatsoever.

If works had anything at all to do with our being saved we would all be lost because in ourselves we are TOTALLY CORRUPT and sin touches us at all of our points.
True, works are not a matter of salvation, but a matter of spiritual growth after salvation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity