Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 01:14 PM

400 posts, read 602,134 times

Advertisements

I was going to ask, "Is The Bible Relevant Today?" Then I thought, "Is The Bible Relevant To ______?" I decided to leave today and the blank question out because I thought it might illicit more response. Feel free to put them in if helps you formulate an answer. I've read many of the latest posts on here. Thoughts on The Bible are all over the map. I thought this could be a thread where thoughts come together.

Anyone who has read more than a couple of my posts know where I stand. But, I don't want it to be about me. Besides, I like to keep my neck off the chopping block as much as I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 01:36 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,308,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartstarr1960 View Post
I was going to ask, "Is The Bible Relevant Today?" Then I thought, "Is The Bible Relevant To ______?" I decided to leave today and the blank question out because I thought it might illicit more response. Feel free to put them in if helps you formulate an answer. I've read many of the latest posts on here. Thoughts on The Bible are all over the map. I thought this could be a thread where thoughts come together.

Anyone who has read more than a couple of my posts know where I stand. But, I don't want it to be about me. Besides, I like to keep my neck off the chopping block as much as I can.
Yes scripture is relevant today when read and understood by the mind of Christ.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:46 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times
Yes, scripture is relevant as long as it doesn't contradict itself, as it does with about 100 verses that support universal salvation, 100 verses that support annihilation, and roughly 25 that support eternal torment in hell/lake of fire.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:53 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,021,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Yes scripture is relevant today when read and understood by the mind of Christ.
Right on. The bible must be rightly divided. The Holy Spirit is our teacher.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:01 PM

33,251 posts, read 26,470,212 times
The Bible is the word of truth, the written Word of God, and stands forever. Contrary to the beliefs of those who hold to a neo-orthodox position, the Bible is not man's subjective beliefs about God, but is God's objective revelation about Himself. It is therefore relevant and necessary for the believer's spiritual growth. Under the filling ministry of God the Holy Spirit who is the true Mentor, the believer who would grow to spiritual maturity must transfer from the Bible and into his soul those doctrines and principles of God's Word which is the believer's spiritual nourishment.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:18 PM

400 posts, read 602,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Yes, scripture is relevant as long as it doesn't contradict itself, as it does with about 100 verses that support universal salvation, 100 verses that support annihilation, and roughly 25 that support eternal torment in hell/lake of fire.
You're like a thorn in my side sometimes, but I can't help but like you Thrillobyte.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:41 PM

183 posts, read 192,869 times
Thoughts are all over the map because people do not read it and do not bother to understand it.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:24 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,348,344 times
Some religions need scriptures. Christians, Jews, and Muslims need scriptures.

The term scripture is not used by all. For others the Bible is just a guide or a historical document.

For others the scriptures are inaccurate because they are copies of copies and alterations are likely.

The bible is relevant as the sole and only word of God for fundamentalists and a guide to Christianity to others.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:33 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
If the reader is wise and discerning enough to separate the wheat from the chaff, I'm sure s/he can find much relevance.

Sadly, some seem unable to do so and thus wallow in, and pass along, their ignorance-inspired interpretations.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:41 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,463,489 times
It is while we have it. But if every bible was to vanish tomorrow, I will still be resting in Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity