Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 03:00 PM

198 posts, read 262,759 times

Advertisements

Rev 7-9-10
[SIZE=2]9 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands;[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]10 And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb.[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 03:21 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
1%

3%

2.5%

Which is it?

Seriously, I've never heard a % mentioned in any sermon, Bible study, conference, etc.
You saw the quote. I didn't make it up. Any of the three figures is abysmal, don't you agree? But if you want to split hairs, as if half of a 1% difference is going to be an improvement, then Pittman's actual figure is 2 1/2% make it to heaven. I've heard fundamentalists apply a much more rigorous standard that yields only 1%, but hey, at maximum 3% making it to heaven while 97% end up in hell, no fundamentalist ever said Jesus' sacrifice was going to save anyone except a tiny fraction of mankind.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:44 PM

400 posts, read 601,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Seriously, fundamentalists believe that only approximately 1% of men and women will get into heaven. Howard Pittman in his book, "Placebo" in which he describes his near death experience said he was on an elevator going up to heaven and only saw 3 people for every 97 people on the elevator going down to hell (I am not making this stuff up; he actually said this)
So 2 1/2% make it into heaven as a result of Christ's redemptive work. All that coming to earth, incarnating, suffering on the cross; the humiliation, the pain, the torment of being cut off from His Father---just so 2 1/2% could make it through the pearly gates while the other 97.5% still get thrown into eternal torment in the Lake of Fire. Some redemptive plan, huh?
Thrillobyte, I don't understand you. First of all, where's the proof in your blanket statement that all fundamentalists believe only 1% will go to heaven? Secondly, you quote Rev. Pittman's Placebo Chapter 9 but ignore Chapter 8 and more importantly Chapter 11 where God showed him MERCY. Lastly, what motivates your post? You are guilty of the very things Rev. Pittman is warning us against. I'm not implying his NDE is gospel truth and neither does he claim this is exactly how events will unfold for each of us. This is not to be taken as anything but what it is, a NDE recounting. However, the core of his message is true. Many who profess to know Him don't.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:27 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
If you just give up and say I am going to hell, then I will go to heaven , then you are definitely wrong , as you end up in hell then it will be far to late for heaven .............. See people have to be married to Lord Jesus to go to heaven , as there is no other way , and going to heaven is not like winning the lottery , any one can go but you will have to reject the devil and his possession on your life and your will to say no to Jesus which the devil hold on the lost ..............Every one who repents to Lord Jesus , and prays in patient faith for Jesus to make you born again in the Spirit of God , and receive Jesus Spirit on your life ...You will need to find a church which has the evidence of Holy Spirit , and preaches the gospel , as the believers there are anointed by the righteousness of Jesus , so their prayers you will need to find the right Spirit of God , as there are some church which have false Spirit and a form of godliness but lack the true Spirit of God ............. Jesus hopes you will turn to Christ and wait for you to move, and Jesus hopes you will not be the slacker who waited to long , and was lost to God ............ See the passing of people of the earth is the test that all people must make , either you have Jesus Spirit who will protect your soul at your passing , or your soul will not be protected , and your soul will die , but your spirit will live and be dumped in the place where you will not want to be ....

Old 10-15-2013, 05:06 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You saw the quote. I didn't make it up. Any of the three figures is abysmal, don't you agree? But if you want to split hairs, as if half of a 1% difference is going to be an improvement, then Pittman's actual figure is 2 1/2% make it to heaven. I've heard fundamentalists apply a much more rigorous standard that yields only 1%, but hey, at maximum 3% making it to heaven while 97% end up in hell, no fundamentalist ever said Jesus' sacrifice was going to save anyone except a tiny fraction of mankind.
Well again, I've never heard a number or percentage, just "few", like Scripture says. And I'm Southern Baptist, which is considered fundamentalist.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:22 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,128,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanSalvador View Post
Raised a Christian, it's been years since I went to church, but I remember always hearing that only a very, very small number of people will go to heaven and this number includes everyone who ever existed. that sounds like playing the lottery, so I will go to hell I guess. Ever thought of what would happen if you are a faithful Christian, go to church, read the bible, but in the end you still go to hell? Why? Simply because you weren't holy enough.

What about the new earth? Will you go there instead? Something to think about.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:24 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartstarr1960 View Post
Thrillobyte, I don't understand you. First of all, where's the proof in your blanket statement that all fundamentalists believe only 1% will go to heaven? Secondly, you quote Rev. Pittman's Placebo Chapter 9 but ignore Chapter 8 and more importantly Chapter 11 where God showed him MERCY. Lastly, what motivates your post? You are guilty of the very things Rev. Pittman is warning us against. I'm not implying his NDE is gospel truth and neither does he claim this is exactly how events will unfold for each of us. This is not to be taken as anything but what it is, a NDE recounting. However, the core of his message is true. Many who profess to know Him don't.
Tell you what: for simplicity's sake let's throw away the 1% and the 3% and stick with Pittman's own figure. I'd have to dig for the 1% statistics so let's just say I made the figure up. That invalidates it.

Now the second point you made: God showing Pittman mercy has no relevance to my point, which is that Pittman claims that only 2.5 out of every 100 people are going to be saved. How would you feel if only 2.5 of your 10 children made it to heaven while the others burned in hell? How would you feel if you had to watch even 1 child of yours burning in hell forever, yet Pittman is implying that God will be satisfied with just 2 1/2% of His children making it to heaven, and not caring that the other 97.5 didn't.

Your third point: Pittman may be making all this up, or he may be telling the truth, or he may be under the mistaken impression he had an NDE. Only he knows. I assume he's telling the truth because as a minister I trust his veracity.

Many indeed do not know Jesus, but who's fault is that? If you're a Calvinist maybe it's God's fault because He pre-elected His favorites to heaven and left the others to rot in hell; if you're Arminianist, then it's the people's fault because by free-will they could have chosen Jesus and they chose not to.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:49 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
All will go to heaven except the truly evil and intransigent Fundamentalists.

They got some s'plainin' to do.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:26 PM

241 posts, read 245,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
All will go to heaven except the truly evil and intransigent Fundamentalists.

They got some s'plainin' to do.
are those the ones that run around telling everyone we are going to hell, and we already took the mark of the beast? I was looking all over my body for that mark!

Old 10-15-2013, 06:40 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlanynna View Post
are those the ones that run around telling everyone we are going to hell, and we already took the mark of the beast? I was looking all over my body for that mark!
That's one way to ID them. But the main give-away is they deem the bible to be literally true - but only their interpretation of "true."

Not yours or The Other Guys' definition of "true" - as in, that-which-kinda'-corresponds-to-reality-as-we-perceive-it.

Nuh-uh and no-sir.

Their reality doesn't correspond with ours. They arrange it so it fits their dreams - no responsibility required - just believe in The Correct God(s*) and eternal (so what if it's boring) bliss awaits.

*Just hedging my bets, like a wise Believer would, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity