Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 08:18 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times

Advertisements

Many people who call themselves Christian claim that what you believe is not important. Someone just made that claim on another thread on this forum. The Bible begs to differ.

Jesus said to the unbelieving Jews;
''Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for unless you believe that I am He, you will die in your sins.'' (John 8:24)
So does it matter whether you believe that Jesus is 'I am'? You bet it does!!!

Jesus said to Martha;
''I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes on Me will live even if he dies, and everyone who lives and believes on Me will never die, Do you believe this?'' (John 11:25-26)
Is it therefore important that you believe on Christ? Absolutely. What you believe regarding salvific truth matters. What you believe in salvific matters determines where you will spend the eternal future.

Now, not everything is salvific. That is, not every category of truth has bearing on your eternal salvation. Still, the Bible is the word of truth as stated in 2 Timothy 2:15 and has bearing on your spiritual growth as a believer. What you believe certainly matters. And if you disagree, as some or many of you always will, you are sadly and tragically mistaken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 08:24 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Circular logic is not fun.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:25 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
What you do matters much more.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:26 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Many people who call themselves Christian claim that what you believe is not important. Someone just made that claim on another thread on this forum. The Bible begs to differ.

''Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for unless you believe that I am He, you will die in your sins.'' (John 8:24)

Jesus said to Martha;
''I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes on Me will live even if he dies, and everyone who lives and believes on Me will never die, Do you believe this?'' (John 11:25-26)
Is it therefore important that you believe on Christ? Absolutely. What you believe regarding salvific truth matters. What you believe in salvific matters determines where you will spend the eternal future.

Now, not everything is salvific. That is, not every category of truth has bearing on your eternal salvation. Still, the Bible is the word of truth as stated in 2 Timothy 2:15 and has bearing on your spiritual growth as a believer. What you believe certainly matters. And if you disagree, as some or many of you always will, you are sadly and tragically mistaken.
You are right Mike. What we believe will determine where we spend eternity.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:38 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
''I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes on Me will live even if he dies, and everyone who lives and believes on Me will never die, Do you believe this?''
If not mistaken, "Surely, you will die?"

Old 10-16-2013, 08:45 PM

63,808 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
You are right Mike. What we believe will determine where we spend eternity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
This is something that is poorly understood about the generational and cultural differences that separate us from those early primitives. There was a direct and unwavering connection between what they believed and what they DID . . . unlike today. Today there is a more nuanced and diverse connection between what we will claim to believe and what we DO. Back then there was no separation. So getting them to actually believe was the same as getting them to say so. Belief was absolutely necessary to achieve the desired outcome of getting them to do what the beliefs demanded of them. Today the disconnect is widespread and a distinction has to be drawn between what is claimed to be believed and what is truly believed. What is truly believed is reflected (as always) in the "fruits" . . . i.e. what you DO.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:00 PM

183 posts, read 192,739 times
I believe little elves may shine my shoes while I sleep.

Belief is meaningless.

Knowledge and faith is a different matter.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:10 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
What you believe dictates what you'll do - chicken or the egg?

Old 10-16-2013, 09:16 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
What you believe dictates what you'll do - chicken or the egg?
Words expressing belief in doing good may come easily.

The deeds don't always follow.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:19 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,389,664 times
Quote:

Jesus said to Martha;

Amen! Great post, Mike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity