Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2015, 07:55 AM

301 posts, read 287,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porque77 View Post
The commandments of Jesus Christ...

""The laws of the empires of the world must be respected... but the commandments of Jesus Christ, we must love... Do you follow the laws of atheists countries that not love Jesus Christ?... Do you follow religions called "Christians" who deny the Jesus Christ commandments?..."
So we will start with your first point. You say you "don't see commandments being abolished". And I will remember a few Old Testament commandments that were abolished by Jesus Christ:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porque77 Jesus Christ did not come to abolish true Law of God ... But Jesus Christ abolished many precepts of the Old Testament because they were not true Law of God...

The Law that Jesus came not to abolish is the Law of the Gospel, which is the true Law of God. But Jesus Christ abolished many commandments of the Old Testament because they were not God's true Law. The Gospel says so:

"It was also said, 'Whoever divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce. Nevertheless I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for the cause of prostitution, makes her commit adultery, and whoever marries a divorced, commits adultery" (Matthew 5:...)

The jews of that time wrote in the law of the Old Testament that could separated from women for many reasons when they tired of them, but Jesus abolished these commandments. These commandments were written into the Old Testament and Jesus Christ abolished them.

"Again you have heard that it was said by them of old not swear falsely, but shall perform your oaths to the Lord. Nevertheless I tell you, Do not swear at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, or by the earth, for is the footstool of his feet, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because you can not do a single white or black hair. But let your ' Yes, yes, no, no, because what is more than these cometh of evil" (Matthew 5:...)

The Jews were accustomed to swear in many cases, and so wrote it in the laws of the Old Testament... The Lord abolished these precepts of the oaths.

The law of retaliation ("Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth") ABOLISHED BY JESUS CHRIST

"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also, and whosoever want to get to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your coat also, and whosoever shall compel thee to go one mile, go with him twain. Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away" (Matthew 5:...)

The Jews were in the habit of applying the talionis law (law of revenge) in their judgments (eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn... and so on.), And so they wrote it in the laws of the old Testament (Exodus 21:24-25). The Lord abolished this law of "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth" because it was a law that did not included forgiveness or mercy, then weren't God's Law, because what God likes is the mercy.

"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you...." (Matthew 5...)

The Jews, often beheaded or hanged his enemies, and not only to them, but then, as says the laws of the Old Testament, entered the conquered peoples and in many cases children and women were slaughtered... Jesus Christ abolished these Old Testament laws and commands us to love our enemies.

Other Old Testament laws abolished by Jesus Christ:

"If a man commits adultery with his neighbor's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be dead". (Leviticus 20:10)

"And the daughter of any priest, if she fornicate, dishonor his father; she shall be burnt with fire" (Leviticus 21:9)

That Is not what Jesus did with the adulterous woman in the Gospel Example:

"And the scribes and the Pharisees bring a woman taken in adultery; and having set her in the midst, they say unto him, Teacher, this woman hath been taken in adultery, in the very act. Now in the law Moses commanded us to stone such: what then sayest thou of her? And this they said, trying him, that they might have whereof to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground.

But when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. And again he stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground. And they, when they heard it, went out one by one, beginning from the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman, where she was, in the midst. And Jesus lifted up himself, and said unto her, Woman, where are they? did no man condemn thee? And she said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said, Neither do I condemn thee: go thy way; from henceforth sin no more. Again therefore Jesus spake unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in the darkness, but shall have the light of life". (Juan 8:3-12)

With this teaching, Jesus abolished the Old Testament commandments that ordered kill people for various reasons. So far we have collected some examples of Old Testament commandments that Jesus abolished, but the argument that Jesus had with the Jews because of the law, is much broader and at this discussion is devoted a large part of the Gospel. Jesus taught us the true law of God.

ABOUT THE SHABBAT'S LAW OF THE OLD TESTAMENT

Says the Old Testament:

"And while the children of Israel in the wilderness , they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath. And those who found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses and Aaron and to all the congregation, and put him in prison, because was not declared what should be done to him. and the Lord said to Moses: man dies, all the congregation shall stone him outside the camp. congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him, and died, as the LORD commanded Moses" (Numbers 15: 32-36)

That's not what Jesus commanded us:

"At that time Jesus went through the grain fields on the Sabbath, and His disciples were hungry and began to pluck heads of grain and eat. Seeing the Pharisees said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do on the day rest. But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did when he and those with him were hungry, how he entered the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, which was not lawful to eat neither he nor those who were with him, but only for the priests ? or have you not read in the law that on the Sabbath the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless? for I say that one greater than the temple is here. and if you had known what this means, I desire mercy and not sacrifice, not have condemned the innocent, for the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath. " (Matthew 12: 1-8)

"Jesus saith unto him, Rise, take up thy bed, and walk. And immediately the man was made whole, and took up his bed, and walked: and on the same day was the sabbath. The Jews therefore said unto him that was cured, It is the sabbath day: it is not lawful for thee to carry thy bed. He answered them, He that made me whole, the same said unto me, Take up thy bed, and walk.........

And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the sabbath day. But Jesus answered them,
My Father worketh hitherto, and I work. Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God" (John 5: 8-18)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porque77 View Post
Hello, friends. We can see that many laws of the Old Testament are contrary to the Gospel and were abolished by Jesus Christ, therefore, those laws were not true Law of God because Jesus came not to abolish the true law of God. All what Jesus abolished from the old testament were only precepts of men.

The Gospel is the one that really teaches love and forgiveness:

"If you had known what this means, I want mercy and not sacrifice, you wouldn’t have condemned the innocent" (Matthew 12: 7)

he Commandments on the so-called "Decalogue" of the Old Testament are not equal to the commandments that Jesus teaches us in the Gospel. Jesus Christ in the Gospel reveals the true commandments God gave to Moses. So the Gospel tells us:

"if thou wouldest enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? And Jesus said, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honor thy father and mother; and, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. The young man saith unto him, All these things have I observed: what lack I yet? Jesus said unto him, If thou wouldest be perfect, go, sell that which thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. But when the young man heard the saying, he went away sorrowful; for he was one that had great possessions" (Matthew 19: 16-22

Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/chris...#ixzz48RPJaLm6

Old 05-12-2016, 10:02 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,162,246 times
Gal 2:21 I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:29 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,047,480 times
I saw the threads name and I just had to reply since I am readying the marrow of modern divinity that deals with exactly this issue of Gospel law. Neither legalism nor lawlessness will save anyone, but the law of Jesus Christ is true salvation and true faith. Here is a small part from the marrow of modern divinity that deals with this very important issue, copy from a msg I sent someone not long ago:

The book centers on the topic of legalism and antinomianism called the Marrow of Modern Divinity (wiki antinomian: one who holds that under the gospel dispensation of grace the moral law is of no use or obligation because faith alone is necessary to salvation.) The writer shows the true faith in Christ that saves, and distuingishes between a legalistic works righteousness that will not save, and an antinomian 'righteousness' that is against the law and will not save.

He tells from his own experience:

"Let me confess ingenuously, I was a professor of religion at least a dozen of years before I knew any other way to eternal life, than to be sorry for my sins, and ask forgiveness, and strive and endeavour to fulfil the law, and keep the commandments, according as Mr Dod and other godly men had expounded them; and truly, I remember I was in hope I should at last attain to the perfect fulfilling of them; and, in the mean time, I conceived that God would accept the will for the deed; or what I could not do, Christ had done for me. And though at last, by means of conferring with Mr Thomas Hooker in private, the Lord was pleased to convince me that I was yet but a proud Pharisee, and to show me the way of faith and salvation by Christ alone, and to give me, I hope, a heart in some measure to embrace it; yet, alas! through the weakness of my faith, I have been, and am still apt to turn aside to the covenant of works; and therefore have not attained to that joy and peace in believing, nor that measure of love to Christ, and man for Christ's sake, as I am confident many of God's saints do attain unto in the time of this life. The Lord be merciful unto me, and increase my faith!
And are there not others, though I hope but few, who being enlightened to see their misery, by the reason of the guilt of sin, though not by reasons of the filth of sin, and hearing of justification freely by grace, through the redemption which is in Jesus Christ, do applaud and magnify that doctrine, following them that do most preach and press the same, seeming to be, as it were, ravished with the hearing thereof, out of a conceit that they are by Christ freely justified from the guilt of sin, though still they retain the filth of sin?
These are they that content themselves with a gospel knowledge, with mere notions in the head, but not in the heart; glorying and rejoicing in free grace and justification by faith alone; professing faith in Christ, and yet are not possessed of Christ; these are they that can talk like believers, and yet do not walk like believers; these are they that have language like saints, and yet have conversation like devils; these are they that are not obedient to the law of Christ, and therefore are justly called Antinomians. Now both these paths (Namely legalism and antinomianism) leading from Christ, have been justly judged as erroneous;..
For this cause I, though I be nothing, have by the grace of God endeavoured, in this Diealogue, to walk as a middle man betwixt them both, inm showing to each of them his erroneous path, with the middle path (which is Jesus Christ received truly and walked in answerably) as a means to bring them both unto him, and make them both one in him; and Oh! that the Lord would be pleased so to bless it to them, that it might be a means to produce that effect!

Another part from the intro:

That is, till we be brought to despair of obtaining salvation in the way of the covenant of wokrs. Mark here the spring of legalism, namely, the natural bias of man's heart towards the way of the law, as a covenant of works, and ignorance of the law, in its spirituality and vast extent. (Rom. 7:9, 10:2-3) Mark here the spring of Antinomianism; namely, the wand of a sound conviction of the odiousness and filthiness of sin, rendering the soul loathsome and abominable in the sight of a holy God. Hence, as the sinner sees not his need of, so neither will he receive and rest on Christ for all his salvation, but will go about to halve it, grasping at his justifying blood, neglecting his sanctifying Spirit, and so falls short of all part or lot in that matter.

The middle path we should tread carefully:

A short and pithy description of the middle path, the only pathway to heaven - Jesus Christ (the way, John 14:6) received truly (by faith - John 1:12); this is overlooked by the legalist) and walked in answerably, by holiness of heart and life (Col.2:6); this is neglected by the Antinomian. The Antinomians faith is but pretended, and not true faith, since he walks not in Christ answerably. The legalists holiness is but pretended, and not true holiness, since he hath not 'received Christ' truly, and therefore is incapable of walking in Christ, which is the only true holiness competent to fallen mankind. Thus both the legalist and Antinomian are each of them destitute of true faith and true holiness; forasmuch as there can be no walking in Christ, without a true receiving of him; and there cannot be a true receiving of him without walking in him: so both of them are off the only way of salvation, and, continuining so, must needs perish. Wherefore it concerns everyone who has a value for his own soul, to take heed that he be found in the middle path.

I pray people will see the truth of this text and the Lord will bless it.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
I saw the threads name and I just had to reply since I am readying the marrow of modern divinity that deals with exactly this issue of Gospel law. Neither legalism nor lawlessness will save anyone, but the law of Jesus Christ is true salvation and true faith.......
The legalists holiness is but pretended, and not true holiness, since he hath not 'received Christ' truly, and therefore is incapable of walking in Christ, which is the only true holiness competent to fallen mankind. Thus both the legalist and Antinomian are each of them destitute of true faith and true holiness; forasmuch as there can be no walking in Christ, without a true receiving of him; and there cannot be a true receiving of him without walking in him: so both of them are off the only way of salvation, and, continuining so, must needs perish. Wherefore it concerns everyone who has a value for his own soul, to take heed that he be found in the middle path.[/i]

I pray people will see the truth of this text and the Lord will bless it.
Jesus Christ is God who became man, and He teaches us in the Gospel the commandments that God had really given since always and forever.

In the Old Testament and in the letters attributed to Paul there are many precepts contrary to what Jesus Christ commanded in the Gospel, and Jesus Christ commanded to preach only the Gospel.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:33 PM

The law that Jesus CAME NOT TO ABOLISH is the GOSPEL'S LAW..............

Old 05-15-2016, 02:22 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times
The difference between OT law and NT teaching by Jesus is that the OT Ten Commandments and most of the Levitical laws are all about what one should NOT do.

When Jesus said to love your neighbor as yourself, that wasn't about what one should not do, it was about what one SHOULD do.

The positives in the message of Christ submarine the the OT teaching of fundamentalists.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:25 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
The difference between OT law and NT teaching by Jesus is that the OT Ten Commandments and most of the Levitical laws are all about what one should NOT do.
When Jesus said to love your neighbor as yourself, that wasn't about what one should not do, it was about what one SHOULD do.
The positives in the message of Christ submarine the the OT teaching of fundamentalists.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:55 PM

All this thrashing around over the law when it was long ago made obsolete. It was a weak and beggarly system, given to Jews to express the perfect nature of God. The law is good, the problem is NO man is able to keep it. People who are actually deceived enough to think they keep the law only read about the blessings. When you have a spare hour, take a look at the curses in Deut 28.........and see how you like those.

We are not under law today but under grace.......only grace.......not law and grace. If you have put yourself under the law you are plainly under a curse..........

Gal_3:10 For all who rely on works of the law are under a curse; for it is written, "Cursed be everyone who does not abide by all things written in the Book of the Law, and do them."
Gal_3:11 Now it is evident that no one is justified before God by the law, for "The righteous shall live by faith."
Gal_3:12 But the law is not of faith, rather "The one who does them shall live by them."
Gal_3:13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us—for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree"—

Old 05-16-2016, 11:01 PM

Here's just a part of what God thinks about those who have broken even ONE law........

Deu 28:15 "But if you will not obey the voice of the LORD your God or be careful to do all his commandments and his statutes that I command you today, then all these curses shall come upon you and overtake you.
Deu 28:16 Cursed shall you be in the city, and cursed shall you be in the field.
Deu 28:17 Cursed shall be your basket and your kneading bowl.
Deu 28:18 Cursed shall be the fruit of your womb and the fruit of your ground, the increase of your herds and the young of your flock.
Deu 28:19 Cursed shall you be when you come in, and cursed shall you be when you go out.
Deu 28:20 "The LORD will send on you curses, confusion, and frustration in all that you undertake to do, until you are destroyed and perish quickly on account of the evil of your deeds, because you have forsaken me.
Deu 28:21 The LORD will make the pestilence stick to you until he has consumed you off the land that you are entering to take possession of it.
Deu 28:22 The LORD will strike you with wasting disease and with fever, inflammation and fiery heat, and with drought and with blight and with mildew. They shall pursue you until you perish.
Deu 28:23 And the heavens over your head shall be bronze, and the earth under you shall be iron.
Deu 28:24 The LORD will make the rain of your land powder. From heaven dust shall come down on you until you are destroyed.
Deu 28:25 "The LORD will cause you to be defeated before your enemies. You shall go out one way against them and flee seven ways before them. And you shall be a horror to all the kingdoms of the earth.
Deu 28:26 And your dead body shall be food for all birds of the air and for the beasts of the earth, and there shall be no one to frighten them away.
Deu 28:27 The LORD will strike you with the boils of Egypt, and with tumors and scabs and itch, of which you cannot be healed.
Deu 28:28 The LORD will strike you with madness and blindness and confusion of mind,
Deu 28:29 and you shall grope at noonday, as the blind grope in darkness, and you shall not prosper in your ways. And you shall be only oppressed and robbed continually, and there shall be no one to help you.
Deu 28:30 You shall betroth a wife, but another man shall ravish her. You shall build a house, but you shall not dwell in it. You shall plant a vineyard, but you shall not enjoy its fruit.
Deu 28:31 Your ox shall be slaughtered before your eyes, but you shall not eat any of it. Your donkey shall be seized before your face, but shall not be restored to you. Your sheep shall be given to your enemies, but there shall be no one to help you.
Deu 28:32 Your sons and your daughters shall be given to another people, while your eyes look on and fail with longing for them all day long, but you shall be helpless.

Who still wants to be under the law?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity