Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2016, 01:21 AM

301 posts, read 287,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
All this thrashing around over the law when it was long ago made obsolete. It was a weak and beggarly system, given to Jews to express the perfect nature of God. The law is good, the problem is NO man is able to keep it. People who are actually deceived enough to think they keep the law only read about the blessings. When you have a spare hour, take a look at the curses in Deut 28.........and see how you like those.

We are not under law today but under grace.......only grace.......not law and grace. If you have put yourself under the law you are plainly under a curse..........

Gal_3:10 For all who rely on works of the law are under a curse; for it is written, "Cursed be everyone who does not abide by all things written in the Book of the Law, and do them."
Gal_3:11 Now it is evident that no one is justified before God by the law, for "The righteous shall live by faith."
Gal_3:12 But the law is not of faith, rather "The one who does them shall live by them."
Gal_3:13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us—for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree"—
Jesus Christ is God who became man, and He teaches us in the Gospel the commandments that God had really given since always and forever.

In the Old Testament and in the letters attributed to Paul there are many precepts contrary to what Jesus Christ commanded in the Gospel, and Jesus Christ commanded to preach only the Gospel.

Jesus Christ commanded PREACH ONLY THE GOSPEL, but the emperors of Rome and other empires did not love the Gospel and, for this reason, imposed their BIBLES AND THEIR RELIGIONS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 03:47 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
The difference between OT law and NT teaching by Jesus is that the OT Ten Commandments and most of the Levitical laws are all about what one should NOT do.

When Jesus said to love your neighbor as yourself, that wasn't about what one should not do, it was about what one SHOULD do.

The positives in the message of Christ submarine the the OT teaching of fundamentalists.
Very true. The law of sin and death which basically is a law set in motion by setting our attention on that which are not supposed to be doing (that which I don't want to do I do) , which like you said is OT, is the law by which evangelicals are ignorantly using to completely misrepresent the teachings of Jesus. In other words they ( the evangelicals) are still under the law, and the roots of condemnation they dish out can be found under the law, but never in Christ where there is no condemnation.

Old 05-19-2016, 04:45 PM

63,812 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
The difference between OT law and NT teaching by Jesus is that the OT Ten Commandments and most of the Levitical laws are all about what one should NOT do.
When Jesus said to love your neighbor as yourself, that wasn't about what one should not do, it was about what one SHOULD do.
The positives in the message of Christ submarine the OT teaching of fundamentalists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Very true. The law of sin and death which basically is a law set in motion by setting our attention on that which are not supposed to be doing (that which I don't want to do I do) , which like you said is OT, is the law by which evangelicals are ignorantly using to completely misrepresent the teachings of Jesus. In other words, they ( the evangelicals) are still under the law, and the roots of condemnation they dish out can be found under the law, but never in Christ where there is no condemnation.
Amen, brothers!

Old 05-19-2016, 05:14 PM

Default The law that Jesus CAME NOT TO ABOLISH is the GOSPEL'S LAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps
Very true. ................... they ( the evangelicals) are still under the law, and the roots of condemnation they dish out can be found under the law, but never in Christ where there is no condemnation.
Many "evangelicals" say they are not under law but under grace. They follow the letters attributed to Paul twisted by the unlearned.

Many "evangelicals" don't want understand that Jesus Christ taught us the true commandments of God ...

There is only one Gospel, the Gospel of Jesus Christ. But many "evangelicals" say there are two different "gospels":

They say that one is the gospel of Jesus Christ and the other is the "gospel of Paul". What can you answer about this? ...

Old 05-20-2016, 03:26 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porque77 View Post
Many "evangelicals" say they are not under law but under grace. They follow the letters attributed to Paul twisted by the unlearned.

Many "evangelicals" don't want understand that Jesus Christ taught us the true commandments of God ...

There is only one Gospel, the Gospel of Jesus Christ. But many "evangelicals" say there are two different "gospels":

They say that one is the gospel of Jesus Christ and the other is the "gospel of Paul". What can you answer about this? ...
I can answer that if you do not see critical differences in the teachings coming from the reported words of Jesus and the writings of Paul--then you aren't much of a Bible student.

The Gospel of Jesus Christ is what HE, let me repeat HE, showed us with His life and words. All the writings of Paul, John, Peter and the other unknowns are purely commentary. The mistake too many make is putting them on equal footing.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:03 AM

Quote:

How do i identify what is good news and what isn't ? The one that sets you from from the condemnation you've been under. Subjecting yourself to the law which I think you might be doing tells me that you have not understood the good news and are under that which came by Moses, rather than IN that which came BY Jesus Christ.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
How do i identify what is good news and what isn't ? The one that sets you from from the condemnation you've been under. Subjecting yourself to the law which I think you might be doing tells me that you have not understood the good news and are under that which came by Moses, rather than IN that which came BY Jesus Christ.
The Law of Christ is the law of God, Moses received God's law (the law of Christ) ...

Many Old Testament commandments no longer kept the Law of God ...

Old 05-22-2016, 05:07 AM

Quote:
The Law of Christ is the law of God, Moses received God's law (the law of Christ) ...

Many Old Testament commandments no longer kept the Law of God ...
The law of Christ is not the same law of Moses. The law(the operation of it) of the spirit of life(I can do all things through Christ) - sets me free from the law(the operation of it) of Moses....that which I want to do I cannot do.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:06 AM

1,146 posts, read 648,827 times
Quote:

WHICH IS THE LAW OF GOD?

The Old Testament? The New Testament? Or the Gospel?...

So which is the law that the Christians must follow?

The law that Jesus CAME NOT TO ABOLISH is the GOSPEL'S LAW

Jesus did not come to abolish the law.

It does not say or imply this anywhere in the pages of Holy Writ. I challenge anyone to prove it by quoting chapter and verse. Hypothetical fictions are not sufficient to disprove scriptural truth.

Jesus DID come to fulfill the law.

There's a world of difference between fulfillment and abolition of the law. In today's licentious lawless society it is no wonder that the difference between the two words has become muddied. People do not understand the law or the blessings that result from it. Instead they wish to be a law unto themselves and thereby make life a misery for everyone else.

One fulfills a law by obeying it, by representing it and by demonstrating its positive attributes. Jesus did not sin. If Christ came to abolish the law, then He would have been the most sinful man that ever lived. Instead He fulfilled it and became famous for being the most righteous man that ever lived.

It gets better.

The law was meant to bless mankind and make his life upon the earth a good one. Penalties for disobedience were severe because the consequences of breaking the law were destructive of human society and an accurate understanding of how to live in peace with God.

Observe if you will how those who believe the law is of no consequence have destroyed lives. Athestic philosophy became globally popular in the late 19th century. As a result of being widely embraced, the second world war began. It did not stop until nearly one hundred million people had died. Is this better or worse than penalizing one or two individuals for breaking a law?

It is better for the law to end the life of one lawbreaker than for a nation or civilization to suffer the agonies that result from widesprad acceptance of lawlessness.

Consider the consequences of lawlessness. Few today want to do that. Many want to be a law unto themselves thus achieving wreck for the lives of others. Violence and war and death are the flowers of the diseased plant of licentiousness.

No one has a license to sin.

But the law was also given that men may have life. Christ came to reaffirm the laws of Leviticus, which show how one can live peacefully with God. God is good and wishes all men to come to a saving knowledge of Him. But mankind is inherently evil selfish and self-destructive and will not choose God's way.

Jesus came to AFFIRM and to FULFILL the law, not to abolish it. He didn't die on the cross so that men and women could live in sin. Jesus died on the cross so that men and women could live in peace with God according to His law.

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Old 05-22-2016, 07:56 PM

Default The law that Jesus CAME NOT TO ABOLISH is the GOSPEL'S LAW

Quote:
The law of Christ is not the same law of Moses.
The True Law given to Moses, is the Law of God, and Jesus Christ is God who came to teach us the true commandments that had received the people in Moses' time ...

You are wrong, because you call "Law of Moses" to the Jewish laws of the Old Testament containing many precepts of men that Jesus Christ abolished ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity