Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 03:53 PM

400 posts, read 597,809 times

Advertisements

Much is being made lately that, at least in some Christian faiths, changes are afoot. These changes are reported as 'changing with the times,' or 'modernization' by the media and much hoopla and praise is being made about it. While I think the reasons are profoundly deeper seated, regardless the reason, it is timely.
1. Is the Church under any obligation to reflect the times we live in?
2. Should we go along with all 'modernizations' or is there a line in the sand believers should not cross?
3. Is it the role of Church hierarchy to decide the Church's direction or is it the role of those in the pews?
4. Would you continue to blindly support a Church whose changes became unacceptable to you and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 04:10 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,441,062 times
If individuals change with the time, then the system will change. The system is made up of individuals. Whether it is good or not will be determined by time.
Most churches focus on growth , these are more fluid and change with every blowing of the wind. They must change, many youth are a lot smarter than we give credit to. They want to be stimulated, and an organ soloist is not entertaining.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:34 PM

9,664 posts, read 9,919,726 times
Many liberal false prophet from the media can try to crash the Church of Christ with pressure of adoption of sin , by calling it hate or whatever they can come up with ............ Still many people in the Christian Church will never bow to sin right to the bitter end , as the righteousness of Jesus Christ will be compromised , and the very salvation of Christ could come to be limited in a apostasy for souls , as Man don`t save men , it is God who saves men and it is Gods rules for salvation which are under attack by spirit of the false prophet through the media and politicians corruptions .............. See Jesus warned the church that the laws will change against the purpose of Christianity , where apostasy will come during the end time and the false prophet and the spiritual authority of the harlot of Babylon which rules liberalism with the corruption of greed and covetousness of the markets of the world will collapse , as these spiritual authority are removed from the earth by Christ ............. So it is best to turn to Lord Jesus to remove the corruptions from the earth , as the only other road is not to bow to the corruptions of evil from the media and resist with the martyr systems

Old 10-15-2013, 05:31 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,542,613 times
Absolutely not. If you are (for example) Christian, you believe that God is all-knowing. You believe that God created man in a certain way. And the rules laid out in the Bible are there because we are the way we are. If you are Christian, you believe that we do not change, and if we do change, say for example through something like natural selection, we change far too slowly to see a necessary change in scripture yet. You believe the rules in the Bible are in place for a reason so the only reason to change the Bible would be to say good is wrong. People who think we should change the Bible think they know humanity better than God, the all-powerful being tgst created humanity. This is understandable if you aren't a Christian, but if you are, then this is blasphemy, and a sure fire ticket to hell.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:53 AM

112 posts, read 116,734 times
The 'church' is satan's synagogue.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:58 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,836,279 times
I don't believe in changing with the times. Our service is pretty much like it was when I was a kid, 50 years ago. Maybe a few newer hymns, but we still have liturgical worship, we still read from the Bible, have sermons, Lord's Supper, pot lucks etc. God doesn't change, why should the worship of him change. In fact, our worship hasn't changed much from the days of the Reformation. If it isn't broke, why try to fix it?

Old 10-15-2013, 08:15 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,869,426 times
It might depend on what you mean about changing with the times.

Like any other facets of the human experience, we learn and know more about Christian faith and theology as time passes. (Just as we learn and know more about science, history, language, social interactions, or any other subject of human study).

Whether you consider it changing, or growing, I think churches do need to be progressing on a path in the worship and teaching of faith and not being static or sitting still.

Now, in detail, this can present itself in many forms. Anything from incorporating modern technology into services, to a growing understanding and definition of faith and doctrine.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:51 AM

668 posts, read 686,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMurph View Post
The 'church' is satan's synagogue.
Why do you belive Jesus built "satan's synagogue"?

Matthew 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Jesus said He built the church and you call it "satan's synagogue". Why do you think Jesus did this for satan?

Old 10-15-2013, 08:56 AM

668 posts, read 686,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartstarr1960 View Post
Much is being made lately that, at least in some Christian faiths, changes are afoot. These changes are reported as 'changing with the times,' or 'modernization' by the media and much hoopla and praise is being made about it. While I think the reasons are profoundly deeper seated, regardless the reason, it is timely.
1. Is the Church under any obligation to reflect the times we live in?
2. Should we go along with all 'modernizations' or is there a line in the sand believers should not cross?
3. Is it the role of Church hierarchy to decide the Church's direction or is it the role of those in the pews?
4. Would you continue to blindly support a Church whose changes became unacceptable to you and why?

The church is under no obligation to reflect the times or conform to the world. However it does change in some way's. We now have indoor plumbing! We have electric lights. We have air conditioning. We have amplified microphones. We have an electric keyboard. We use the internet and email.

I do not accept any "church hierarchy" but only the local congregation as show in scripture to decide it's own affairs.

If your a true member of the church then you are part of those making the decisions. Other wise your part of something else.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:24 AM

7,287 posts, read 6,858,278 times
I visit a number of different churches , taking temperature you might say. I have been doing this for many years
including several years in evangelism across the continent and street ministry.
Apathy and unbelief have always been a danger to any body of believers, and it starts from the pulpit, and the people that vote the values they want to embrace.
I observe some of the down right lies preacher spew forth ,completely ignoring the things Jesus said, compromising every thing for the sake of making it easier for some one to get sold in to their church and all their programs.
Some of the larger churches are more vulnerable to this temptation, but it's not worth it come judgment day.
Smaller groups can be just as distracted but I think that there are several factors that are causing change.
Jesus said , men don't like the truth (light) , it reveals their sin.
How often do we see that here ?
To best define sin, it is the lack of obedience to God, on a personal level .
This draws a lot of controversy because Paul's writings were included in the bible as scriptures and that was the killer.
Lending to the idea God is compromising with sin, with Paul's definition of grace, Jesus did not teach.
Every breakdown stems from this one fact. I have observed it for over 63 years of my life, and many more years added to the men's observations I learned who came before me.
Delete all of Paul's influence, and you have a very different gospel, one of accountability, not compromise.
How many have actually repented their self govern, under Paul's influence? None .
People tend to include Jesus in a philosophical way under Paul, but not actually come under Jesus Lordship.
Paul is listing his own do's and dont's, as though he replaces Jesus .
Neither he nor Peter can do that.
Matthew 7; and John 15; are a stark contrast to Paul's influence.
In layman's terms how about if I combined two separate engine manuals one from Toyota and one from Ford, but I call it Honda . How would that work out for you ? Not very well.
That is exactly what happened when men assembled the bible as we know it.
Men ,disregarding Jesus ,and included other men for their volume of writing, not their accuracy.
There is much more that Paul wrote that did not get included.
He was an egocentric Pharisee, that knew how to bulldoze his way among the disciples but not all.
Reading all of John's writings including revelations , Paul had zero influence on him.
I could call my writings as much scripture as Paul's ,but the fact of the mater is, Jesus is the only one, going to on the thrown making the decision on who has been obeying Him , not Paul nor Peter nor any other man.
So who's gospel should one be embracing most ?
Jesus provided the Holy Spirit to teach in His place .Those under Jesus Lordship know this . Those with out His Lordship, rely on men ,because that is what other men taught them to do.

Last edited by arleigh; 10-15-2013 at 09:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity