Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 04:58 PM

183 posts, read 192,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I've got to say, Julian, that this does strike me as an odd thing for a believing Catholic to say. As a Catholic, don't you believe that Jesus Christ personally established His Church here on earth, giving the keys of authority to preside over it to Peter, and that this authority has been passed down all the way to Pope Francis? If this is the case, surely the Catholic Church would not be man-made, but God-made.

It was Peter Simon Magus that started the Universal church of Rome which later became the Catholic church, catholic means universal.
Simon the Sorcerer.

[SIZE=3]"But there was a certain man, called Simon, which beforetime in the same city used sorcery, and bewitched the people of Samaria, giving out that himself was some great one: To whom they all gave heed, from the least to the greatest, saying, This man is the great power of God. And to him they had regard, because that of long time he had bewitched them with sorceries. But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women. Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done. Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost: (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.) Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost. And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles’ hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money, Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost. But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money. Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of God. Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee. For I perceive that thou art in the gall of bitterness, and in the bond of iniquity. Then answered Simon, and said, Pray ye to the LORD for me, that none of these things which ye have spoken come upon me." (Acts 8:9-24).

[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Right from the very beginning, Satan had his counterfeit "messiah" operating right in the true Messiah's backyard. His name was Simon Magus or Simon the Sorcerer and this man, and not Simon Peter the Apostle, went on to found the Universal Roman "church." His career was the history of Roman Catholicism in miniature. For a long time he bewitched the people with his false miracles. Since the year 800 A.D., Rome has bewitched the world with her false miracles of transubstantiation.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Simon believed and was baptized. Outwardly he was a Christian but his belief was only superficial and he was still a pagan at heart. He coveted the apostolic office and saw the opportunity of using Christianity to make money — a business corporation masquerading as the church of Christ!![/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]From Simon Magus we get the word simony which means to buy a religious office with money. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]After his encounter with St. Peter, this magician went to Rome and by tricks and false miracles established a "Christian church" in that city. This man can truly be considered as the first of the age long dynasty of Popes —many coming in Christ's name and deceiving many (Matt. 25:5).[/SIZE]

http://www.reformation.org/simon_peter_versus_simon_magus.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 05:59 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdMaster View Post
It was Peter Simon Magus that started the Universal church of Rome which later became the Catholic church, catholic means universal.
Simon the Sorcerer.

[SIZE=3]"But there was a certain man, called Simon, which beforetime in the same city used sorcery, and bewitched the people of Samaria, giving out that himself was some great one: To whom they all gave heed, from the least to the greatest, saying, This man is the great power of God. And to him they had regard, because that of long time he had bewitched them with sorceries. But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women. Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done. Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost: (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.) Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost. And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles’ hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money, Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost. But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money. Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of God. Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee. For I perceive that thou art in the gall of bitterness, and in the bond of iniquity. Then answered Simon, and said, Pray ye to the LORD for me, that none of these things which ye have spoken come upon me." (Acts 8:9-24).

[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Right from the very beginning, Satan had his counterfeit "messiah" operating right in the true Messiah's backyard. His name was Simon Magus or Simon the Sorcerer and this man, and not Simon Peter the Apostle, went on to found the Universal Roman "church." His career was the history of Roman Catholicism in miniature. For a long time he bewitched the people with his false miracles. Since the year 800 A.D., Rome has bewitched the world with her false miracles of transubstantiation.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Simon believed and was baptized. Outwardly he was a Christian but his belief was only superficial and he was still a pagan at heart. He coveted the apostolic office and saw the opportunity of using Christianity to make money — a business corporation masquerading as the church of Christ!![/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]From Simon Magus we get the word simony which means to buy a religious office with money. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]After his encounter with St. Peter, this magician went to Rome and by tricks and false miracles established a "Christian church" in that city. This man can truly be considered as the first of the age long dynasty of Popes —many coming in Christ's name and deceiving many (Matt. 25:5).[/SIZE]

http://www.reformation.org/simon_peter_versus_simon_magus.html

The is even less support for that than the idea of Peter being the first pope

Old 10-22-2013, 06:30 PM

183 posts, read 192,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

I know what the church is. I'll buy that, support or not, over anything the church is selling.

Perfectly logical to me.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:01 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Quote:
Pope was not a term used in Biblical times. Peter was simply the first leader of the church.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:04 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Pope was not a term used in Biblical times. Peter was simply the first leader of the church.
No. He wasnt.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:13 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Quote:
No. He wasnt.
Oops, most Bible scholars will tell you Peter was the lead apostle. The name of Peter is mentioned much more than the other Apostles. And when the Apostles are together Peter is always named first.

This not Catholic stuff. This is NT material and you can look it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity