Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 04:45 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times

Advertisements

This is my final post on this thread. What some of you may not realize, is that when the govt./taxpayers supply welfare, food stamps/free meals, automobiles, housing, education healthcare etc. you end up giving people a disincentive to work. What ends up happening, and we are in the midst of this, is that as you go along, working people begin to see that they are being used. They are working hard and others are not working at all. With all the social services, they would better off with all the social services they can get by not working. My son is in this category. He could get SS disability plus medicaid and do fine but he chooses to work and be productive and not sucking off the system.

The end result is that you will see more and more as years go by is more people waiting for their handouts, and fewer willing or wanting to work. This is what has happened in much of the inner cities of our country. Generation after generation of single parent families who live on the govt, and all the social problems that go with it. Look at our food stamp and SS disability rolls grow and grow year after year. Do people think this can go on forever, along with govt. debt. What you are seeing is the destruction of your society. First Detroit, next is all of California, and if it isn't stopped and reversed, the rest will go down also.

I'll cite one more example. My FIL used to get Meals on Wheels delivered to him. Now there is supposed to be qualifications on this, but apparently, nobody checks. He should have never been on it. He could easily afford to have any restaurant in town deliver a meal to him every day of the week but he took the free one. He died a rich man. I think we have an unjust system that makes elderly people stand in Walmart for hours working, while young healthy people, who have no interest in working, get food stamps. Why is the elderly lady, in effect, supporting a young healthy woman. I think God is very wise to say, "If any would not work, neither should he eat." We have lots of able bodied people unwilling to work, but getting fat off the hard work of others.

Here's something that the food banks should check. If someone drives up in a nice car, and they own it, they don't get any food. Somewhere along the way, slackers need to be told, NO. Its better to do it now, while we still have country we can maybe save. We are enabling sloth, one of the seven deadly sins. That's why I posted it in the Christianity forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 09:39 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
This is my final post on this thread. What some of you may not realize, is that when the govt./taxpayers supply welfare, food stamps/free meals, automobiles, housing, education, healthcare etc. you end up giving people a disincentive to work. What ends up happening, and we are in the midst of this, is that as you go along, working people begin to see that they are being used. They are working hard and others are not working at all. With all the social services, they would better off with all the social services they can get by not working. My son is in this category. He could get SS disability plus medicaid and do fine but he chooses to work and be productive and not sucking off the system.

The end result is that you will see more and more as years go by is more people waiting for their handouts, and fewer willing or wanting to work. This is what has happened in much of the inner cities of our country. Generation after generation of single parent families who live on the govt, and all the social problems that go with it. Look at our food stamp and SS disability rolls grow and grow year after year. Do people think this can go on forever, along with govt. debt. What you are seeing is the destruction of your society. First Detroit, next is all of California, and if it isn't stopped and reversed, the rest will go down also.

I'll cite one more example. My FIL used to get Meals on Wheels delivered to him. Now there is supposed to be qualifications on this, but apparently, nobody checks. He should have never been on it. He could easily afford to have any restaurant in town deliver a meal to him every day of the week but he took the free one. He died a rich man. I think we have an unjust system that makes elderly people stand in Walmart for hours working, while young healthy people, who have no interest in working, get food stamps. Why is the elderly lady, in effect, supporting a young healthy woman. I think God is very wise to say, "If any would not work, neither should he eat." We have lots of able bodied people unwilling to work, but getting fat off the hard work of others.

Here's something that the food banks should check. If someone drives up in a nice car, and they own it, they don't get any food. Somewhere along the way, slackers need to be told, NO. Its better to do it now, while we still have country we can maybe save. We are enabling sloth, one of the seven deadly sins. That's why I posted it in the Christianity forum.
The greedy are not always the needed; but if you want to live-off the labor of others, open a church.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:29 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Or become a CEO

Old 11-03-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The greedy are not always the needy; but if you want to live-off the labor of others, open a church.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Or become a CEO
The mentality of some individuals is to imprison an innocent man – because nine others are guilty.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The mentality of some individuals is to imprison an innocent man – because nine others are guilty.
Fear is a formidable enemy with devastating effects.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:28 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Certainly we don't apply this to the elderly or handicapped or children, but it seems to me a lot of able bodied people may just be living off the hard work of others. I think the food thing is being way overdone and the evidence is the high rates of obesity.
It seems there are many things you don't understand about food pantries or food insecurity, among other concepts surrounding poverty.

Quote:
So would I be right in assuming that folks on this forum think that everyone should be provided with fresh fruits and vegetables, low fat milk and dairy products, a reliable car, safe clean home, good schools, cable, Air conditioning, central heat, cell phones, health care as good as anyone else with a job gets, and absolutely no work requirement at all. All they need to do is ask for it and it should be supplied, and they can choose whether they want to work or not.
You're still not getting it. A lot of the people coming to food pantries are working; they just don't earn enough to support their families, especially when a crisis arises. Do they spend money to repair their car to go to work, or buy food? Do they buy medicine for their kids when they're sick, or buy food?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
I will not give to charities that are for cancer or diabetes. These can be cured very easy with proper nutrition.
Wouldn't that be nice!

Quote:
This is my final post on this thread. What some of you may not realize, is that when the govt./taxpayers supply welfare, food stamps/free meals, automobiles, housing, education healthcare etc. you end up giving people a disincentive to work.
A disincentive to people who already are working?

Who's getting free cars?

Quote:
Here's something that the food banks should check. If someone drives up in a nice car, and they own it, they don't get any food.
Food pantries are independent organizations and have the ability to serve who they wish to serve. Many are faith-based organizations and, as such, believe in helping those who ask.

Quote:
That's why I posted it in the Christianity forum.
Thank goodness the majority of Christians don't dismiss the poor of our nation as you do.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:32 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,084,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
I will not give to charities that are for cancer or diabetes. These can be cured very easy with proper nutrition. Bit people rather have chemo than change their diets. It is sad that we even get these self inflicted cancers. Then we say that we inherited them. Rubbish. You inherent eye color. Your diet usually asks for these diseases. You can prevent it. And if you got it, it can be healed. But you never really hear about all the folks that are healed. Healing cancer is illegal in USA.
remind us again, where did you attend medical school ?

Old 11-03-2013, 06:56 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,389,511 times
Quote:
This is my final post on this thread. What some of you may not realize, is that when the govt./taxpayers supply welfare, food stamps/free meals, automobiles, housing, education healthcare etc. you end up giving people a disincentive to work. What ends up happening, and we are in the midst of this, is that as you go along, working people begin to see that they are being used. They are working hard and others are not working at all. With all the social services, they would better off with all the social services they can get by not working. My son is in this category. He could get SS disability plus medicaid and do fine but he chooses to work and be productive and not sucking off the system.

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

An able-bodied relative of mine with 4 young children, never married, no job - lives off the government with government housing, food stamps, Obama phone and the like, stated recently that she is "living the American dream". The dreams of most Americans these days is living off the government. Our country is in a very sad state of affairs.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:41 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
Ohiogirl. I'm not sure how the poor are getting cars. Maybe you should ask. All I know is that lots of people pick up their free food from the food pantry or check out of Walmart with their food from their SNAP cards and take it home in a car. Sorry, but if you can afford a car, I don't see why a person needs help with food. Cars are a luxury. When I went to college, I didn't have a car. I walked to class, walked to the store, walked to work. When I went to college in a large city, I walked or took the bus. And no it wasn't in Florida, it was in the middle of winter in Wisconsin. In Europe, many middle class people cannot afford cars and get around on public transportation, motorbikes, mopeds, bicycles etc. Is this now considered basic support, to supply "poor" people with a car, pay for their insurance, and their repairs?

Old 11-03-2013, 10:37 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,711,531 times
Default Real hunger

Quote:
Ohiogirl. I'm not sure how the poor are getting cars. Maybe you should ask. All I know is that lots of people pick up their free food from the food pantry or check out of Walmart with their food from their SNAP cards and take it home in a car. Sorry, but if you can afford a car, I don't see why a person needs help with food. Cars are a luxury. When I went to college, I didn't have a car. I walked to class, walked to the store, walked to work. When I went to college in a large city, I walked or took the bus. And no it wasn't in Florida, it was in the middle of winter in Wisconsin. In Europe, many middle class people cannot afford cars and get around on public transportation, motorbikes, mopeds, bicycles etc. Is this now considered basic support, to supply "poor" people with a car, pay for their insurance, and their repairs?
I know, I went down to a Chevy dealer and he said I could make my down payment with a government EBT card.

I worked twice a month on the downtown streets of Denver for two years helping a group founded by a chapter of the Christian Motorcycle Association feed homeless people. One young man, about 26, told me how he was living on top of an apartment building downtown, next to a heat vent (it was winter--in DENVER) under a shelter half. He regularly scrounged dumpsters behind stores for discarded junk that he could sell. He said, he usually could find somewhere in the city a free meal at least once a day, and that I would be surprised by how many people throw out a half-eaten McDonald's burger or a lot of fries that he could find to fill in for those times when it was tough to find food.

I don't see any folks complaining about how good the poor have it offering to trade places with them. And how much do those crooks rake in? It currently comes out to $4.80 per day per person. One person tried to live on it for a month and gave up after three weeks.

Back when our legislature worked TOGETHER two great senators from opposite sides of the aisle came together to found the 1977 food stamp program. Food stamps go back to the depression era, and I can even remember my paternal grandparents qualifying for "excess" food production that came in brown cans---peanut butter in bulk, and cheese that I still remember as pretty good stuff.

Here is a video on how the food stamp program came to be in the United States. There are some horribly graphic images so don't watch if you have a weak stomach. But as a CHRISTIAN, I would sooner let ten or fifteen percent of people that are crooks get away with their crime of hustling government handouts, than see 85%-90% of other people starve. That's what it means to be a Christian.

Warning, the video contains some graphic images of starving American children, including one who dies as the film is being made.

Video: Making America Stronger: U.S. Food Stamp Program

View the transcript of the video (8pp.)
March 8, 2007

NOTE: This video contains some graphic images of the effects of malnutrition and hunger on children.
Making America Stronger commemorates the 30th anniversary of the of the reforms achieved by the Food Stamp Act of 1977 by telling the story of how food stamps dramatically reduced the extent of severe hunger in our country, how they continue to help Americans in need, and how this essential program can achieve still more.

Video: Making America Stronger: U.S. Food Stamp Program — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

--------------------

“If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives: Be kind anyway.

If you are successful you will win some false friends and true enemies: Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and frank people will try to cheat you: Be honest anyway.

What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight: Build anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous of you: Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, will often be forgotten by tomorrow: Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough: Give your best anyway.”

“If you can't feed a hundred people, feed just one.”
Mother Teresa

Quote:
"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?

The King will reply, "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these borthers of mine, you did for me.'
Matt 25:37-40

When you turn those people away from a food bank or from charity and point at their Rolls Royce sitting at the curb, be sure to tell them that you are refusing them in the name of Jesus.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 11-03-2013 at 11:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity