U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 03:49 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,419,961 times

Advertisements

I grew up in rural Tennessee in the 1960's and 70's, and my father was Presbyterian and my mom was Greek Orthodox (odd combination, huh?). I grew up attending Methodist services (we lived right across the street), but was always curious about the Orthodox church and felt some attachment to it because of my mother.

There's a Greek Orthodox church in my town, and I've considered attending but felt like an outsider to this Church. I wouldn't really know what to do or how to act since I wasn't brought up in that particular faith.

Is the Greek Orthodox church dramatically different from the various Protestant churches?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 11:41 PM

10,688 posts, read 6,293,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I grew up in rural Tennessee in the 1960's and 70's, and my father was Presbyterian and my mom was Greek Orthodox (odd combination, huh?). I grew up attending Methodist services (we lived right across the street), but was always curious about the Orthodox church and felt some attachment to it because of my mother.

There's a Greek Orthodox church in my town, and I've considered attending but felt like an outsider to this Church. I wouldn't really know what to do or how to act since I wasn't brought up in that particular faith.

Is the Greek Orthodox church dramatically different from the various Protestant churches?
I don't think many, if any, of us knows much about Greek Orthodox. Why don't you call the church and ask to speak to their pastor or priest and tell him your dilemma? You will always be an outsider until you make the choice to be an "insider."

Post some information for the rest of us once you have a bit of handle on it.

God bless.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:30 PM

381 posts, read 555,062 times
The Greek Orthodox church has a pretty formal liturgy and shares some similarities with the Catholic Mass, but I am sure they would welcome anyone if you wanted to observe.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:41 PM

11,802 posts, read 7,669,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletchman View Post
The Greek Orthodox church has a pretty formal liturgy and shares some similarities with the Catholic Mass, but I am sure they would welcome anyone if you wanted to observe.
Their mass is awesome. I may be wrong, but I think they make the sign of the cross in the opposite direction

Old 11-11-2013, 10:23 PM

128 posts, read 206,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Their mass is awesome. I may be wrong, but I think they make the sign of the cross in the opposite direction
Yes, that is correct about the Sign of the Cross (I'm Orthodox).

It's not called the Mass, it's called the Divine Liturgy.

OP, pick up a book called The Orthodox Church by Bishop Kallistos Ware. It's the standard intro to Orthodoxy in English.

The Greek parish near you may very well have a portion of their services be in Greek. There should be a bilingual service book in the pew to help you follow along. I would contact the priest and speak to him, as well.

Note: the Orthodox do not give Communion to anyone who is not Orthodox. Just wanted you to know that.

PM me if you have any questions. I'm a certified catechist for my diocese.

ETA: is your mom still alive? Did she not go to church or go to the Protestant church instead?

Old 11-11-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie24 View Post
Note: the Orthodox do not give Communion to anyone who is not Orthodox. Just wanted you to know that.
As a Catholic I have discovered that many Protestants are deeply offended by this. Perhaps you could explain.

I have only been a couple of times, once to a funeral. The singing was impressive.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:01 PM

Julian, the Orthodox stance is that Communion is only to be given to those who have shown (by becoming members through baptism and chrismation) that they share the faith of the Orthodox Church.

The stance of many Protestants is that "sharing the table" is the most important thing and having an agreement on theological and doctrinal issues comes later. The Orthodox (and Roman Catholic) stance is the total opposite.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Julian, the Orthodox stance is that Communion is only to be given to those who have shown (by becoming members through baptism and chrismation) that they share the faith of the Orthodox Church.

The stance of many Protestants is that "sharing the table" is the most important thing and having an agreement on theological and doctrinal issues comes later. The Orthodox (and Roman Catholic) stance is the total opposite.
I have explained this before, but hey don't buy it.

By the way some of the orthodox Churches I have seen are breathtaking.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post

By the way some of the orthodox Churches I have seen are breathtaking.
They generally are. There are a few ugly ones, but on the whole the architecture of even new Orthodox church buildings surpasses the modern ones I've seen of other denominations.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
They generally are. There are a few ugly ones, but on the whole the architecture of even new Orthodox church buildings surpasses the modern ones I've seen of other denominations.
I hate modern looking churches. A church is supposed to look like a church.

I am not a fan of the amphitheater type churches with typical theater seats and no altar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity