Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 05:03 PM

2,149 posts, read 1,516,680 times

Advertisements

To ALL denominations(especially my Baptists) how about following this example set by the Unitarian Universalists :

uuworld.org : washington congregation creates permanent village for homeless

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 05:38 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,778 times
That is a hard example to beat. I don't see too many churches even coming close. Money they will give, we might even volunteer at local food bank. But to do what these people did. NOPE.
MaNy like to give from a distance. Like the politicians who are all for free public housing. Ask any of them if the public housing can be set up in their neighborhood and you will see that they really don't support it that much.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:52 PM

535 posts, read 967,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman57 View Post
To ALL denominations(especially my Baptists) how about following this example set by the Unitarian Universalists :

uuworld.org : washington congregation creates permanent village for homeless

When you dig into it there are several churches involved. Takes more than one faith to be a village, Quixote Village, that is.

Quote:
Seven local congregations have hosted the Camp on their grounds or parking lots: St. John’s Episcopal Church, the First United Methodist Church, United Churches, Lacey Community Church, First Christian Church, Westminster Presbyterian Church, and the Unitarian Universalist Congregation. Many other faith communities have contributed financially, provided meals and volunteers, and advocated for the Camp in the wider community. Drexel House, a local Catholic Community Services agency for a half-time social worker.
Planning the Transformation from Camp Quixote to Quixote Village | Quixote Village

Last edited by Priscilla Martin; 11-14-2013 at 06:08 PM..

Old 11-14-2013, 05:57 PM

535 posts, read 967,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
That is a hard example to beat. I don't see too many churches even coming close. Money they will give, we might even volunteer at local food bank. But to do what these people did. NOPE.
MaNy like to give from a distance. Like the politicians who are all for free public housing. Ask any of them if the public housing can be set up in their neighborhood and you will see that they really don't support it that much.
Quote:
What followed was a series of moves, from one faith community to another – from the Unitarian Universalist Church to United Churches to St. John’s Episcopal Church, to the Methodist Church and, tomorrow, back downtown to the First Christian Church.
But perhaps the most remarkable transformation has come at Olympia City Hall, where the City Council in July adopted an ordinance allowing homeless encampments. The Tumwater City Council adopted the same ordinance. The ordinances set sanitation and other public safety requirements, but the truth be told, the homeless individuals are doing an excellent job of policing themselves. They have, for example, a no-alcohol and no-drugs policy, and campers who violate the rules are banned from the camp.
Planning the Transformation from Camp Quixote to Quixote Village | Quixote Village

Old 11-14-2013, 06:03 PM

2,149 posts, read 1,516,680 times
Baptists are MIA on this mission - I am homeless have been since 5-5-11, for the last 10 days here in the NW Mtns of N.C. I have contacted numerous churches in a 4 County area and several more preachers...guess how many even bothered to be courteous and say no? Thats right 0/zip/nada sad and a disgrace. Churches here go to Dollywood, the Ukraine, drive new buses and vans and yet when asked say they cannot afford to spend a dime on us homeless people. I disagree with the beliefs and practices of the UU's BUT at least they are submitting to what God instructs his people to do for the hungry/unclothed/poor....

Old 11-14-2013, 07:14 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,778 times
I stand corrected by pricella. I thought it was one church. But it is interesting to see what can happen when Christians put aside differences and unite. Instead, we rather condemn each other as different Christian faiths.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:28 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
A wonderful, inspiring project. Kudos to all who had, and continue to have, a part.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:26 AM

400 posts, read 601,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
I stand corrected by pricella. I thought it was one church. But it is interesting to see what can happen when Christians put aside differences and unite. Instead, we rather condemn each other as different Christian faiths.
That is so true. This is a long post but it says so much. To think it was written in the 1800's. Some things haven't changed, though I can think of no church I've sat in where the priest or pastor denounced another denomination, but a quick look on the internet would have me believe we are at irreconcilable odds.

Quote:
There is no soul living who holds more firmly to the doctrines of grace than I do, and if any man asks me whether I am ashamed to be called a Calvinist, I answer—I wish to be called nothing but a Christian; but if you ask me, do I hold the doctrinal views which were held by John Calvin, I reply, I do in the main hold them, and rejoice to avow it. But far be it from me even to imagine that Zion contains none but Calvinistic Christians within her walls, or that there are none saved who do not hold our views. Most atrocious things have been spoken about the character and spiritual condition of John Wesley, the modern prince of Arminians. I can only say concerning him that, while I detest many of the doctrines which he preached, yet for the man himself I have a reverence second to no Wesleyan; and if there were wanted two apostles to be added to the number of the twelve, I do not believe that there could be found two men more fit to be so added than George Whitefield and John Wesley. The character of John Wesley stands beyond all imputation for self-sacrifice, zeal, holiness, and communion with God; he lived far above the ordinary level of common Christians, and was one ‘of whom the world was not worthy.’ I believe there are multitudes of men who cannot see these truths, or, at least, cannot see them in the way in which we put them, who nevertheless have received Christ as their Saviour, and are as dear to the heart of the God of grace as the soundest Calvinist in or out of Heaven.
-Charles Spurgeon

Old 11-15-2013, 08:45 AM

668 posts, read 690,721 times
Many Baptist churches take care of the homeless. One example of a false religion doing something good is not reason to accept their false religion.

We have had people living in the basement of our church for a few years now. No big deal.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:10 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
1 Timothy 6:17-18 - Instruct those who are rich in this present world not to be conceited or to fix their hope on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly supplies us with all things to enjoy. Instruct them to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share,

Watched the link below yesterday. Speaks to doing good deeds and how much it can affect society. Good historical examples presented. Maybe we can't build areas for the homeless - but we can do something.

Good for Nothing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity