Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2013, 05:37 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,393,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I am a Christian who is pro-gay. But, in defense of the OP statement, semantically speaking, I think what they mean is they are trying to live their lives believing it's sinful, but society is "in their face" saying that it's quite normal and not sinful at all and should be accepted. Did I get that right?
I'm sure Christian slave owners who used the Bible to justify slavery felt the same way.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:39 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
I'm sure Christian slave owners who used the Bible to justify slavery felt the same way.
Why are you trying to hijack the thread and change the topic?

Old 11-22-2013, 05:39 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,585,178 times
The problem with many Christians is that they fail to understand the difference between the secular world and The Kingdom of God. I'm a committed Christian and in my opinion any and all attempts to conform secular society to Christian ideals is completely wrong. It's very misguided and in effect is exactly the opposite from the work we as Christians are called to perform in this world. This is especially noticeable among the so called, "Christian right" in the USA. Their attempts are nothing more than secularism in the extreme and a desire to lord it over others.

We are to take our example from the life of Christ and try as much as possible to pattern ourselves after him. The society Jesus lived in was exceedingly wicked and perverse and yet I can not find a single example of Jesus speaking out against the government, laws or culture of the day. He reserved his condemnation for the religious leaders of the day that lead the people away from God by means of their rules, regulations, traditions and prejudices. For Christians to tell the non Christians how to live and how to behave is worse than useless. Our call is only to preach the gospel to the unsaved and make ourselves models of how Christians live.

If we convince a this not to steal or a liar not to lie it means nothing in terms of eternity. We should never ever be focused on the sins of the unsaved. God and the church deal with those things after conversion.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Very true
Or not.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:47 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
There is no law that regulates association.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FundamentalBibleBeliever View Post
I believe the scripture say's "Ο Θεός μισεί αδερφές" which I believe means God does not approve of homosexuality.
Is that you Fred?

I think it actually says: Ο Θεός μισεί απεχθές υποκριτική φανατικούς

You can use this translator:

http://translate.google.com/

Last edited by Ceist; 11-22-2013 at 07:09 PM..

Old 11-22-2013, 05:53 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,930,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Why are you trying to hijack the thread and change the topic?
He is not. He's just pointing out that if the Bible is used to justify one thing, then it becomes an open target for others.

Funny no one responded to by quotes of all the stoning prescribed in the bible.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Thayer's Greek Lexicon of the Bible:

759 avrsenokoi,thj
avrsenokoi,thj, avrsenokoitou, o` (a;rshn a male; koi,th a bed), one who lies with a male as with a female, a sodomite: 1 Cor. 6:9; 1 Tim. 1:10. (Anthol. 9, 686, 5; ecclesiastical writings.)*

Liddel and Scott Greek lexicon: 6008 avrsenokoi,thj
avrseno&koi,thj, (koi,th) lying with men, N.T.

Friberg Biblical Greek Lexicon: 3665 avrsenokoi,thj, ou, o` an adult male who practices sexual intercourse with another adult male or a boy homosexual, sodomite, pederast

It is clear and the words that make up a word do not always control the meaning of the combined word.Try:

"Make" to create
"Up" a direction and
"Makeup".
Now it is true many misuse words as you pointed out, but the basic meaning is a reference to homosexual sexual activity.
That article I linked to was far more in depth than simply looking up a biblical lexicon.

So how can the word "arsenokoiten" only mean "homosexual sexual activity' when it was also used like this:

"Never accept in your hand a gift which derives from unjust deeds. Do not steal seeds. Whoever takes for himself is accursed (to generations of generations, to the scattering of life. Do not arsenokoitein, do not betray information, do not murder. Give one who has labored his wage. Do not oppress a poor man. Take heed of your speech. Keep a secret matter in your heart"

Or when used to refer to something a married heterosexual couple does?

How can the word "malakos" only mean "homosexual sexual activity" when it was used to refer to clothing or food?

Last edited by Ceist; 11-22-2013 at 06:37 PM..

Old 11-22-2013, 06:00 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,160,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Funny no one responded to by quotes of all the stoning prescribed in the bible.
Many questions go unanswered or avoided. It is not surprising.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:01 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,987,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
The problem with many Christians is that they fail to understand the difference between the secular world and The Kingdom of God. I'm a committed Christian and in my opinion any and all attempts to conform secular society to Christian ideals is completely wrong. It's very misguided and in effect is exactly the opposite from the work we as Christians are called to perform in this world. This is especially noticeable among the so called, "Christian right" in the USA. Their attempts are nothing more than secularism in the extreme and a desire to lord it over others.

We are to take our example from the life of Christ and try as much as possible to pattern ourselves after him. The society Jesus lived in was exceedingly wicked and perverse and yet I can not find a single example of Jesus speaking out against the government, laws or culture of the day. He reserved his condemnation for the religious leaders of the day that lead the people away from God by means of their rules, regulations, traditions and prejudices. For Christians to tell the non Christians how to live and how to behave is worse than useless. Our call is only to preach the gospel to the unsaved and make ourselves models of how Christians live.

If we convince a this not to steal or a liar not to lie it means nothing in terms of eternity. We should never ever be focused on the sins of the unsaved. God and the church deal with those things after conversion.
Great post. You are spoken like a true Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity