U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 01:28 PM

400 posts, read 531,493 times

Advertisements

The Greek word from which we get "soul" is transliterated as psyche from which we get psychiatry and related terms. It means your personality, the ego or self, the YOU inside your body looking out the windows of your eyes. So, your soul includes who you are in your mind, emotion, and will.
Pastor explains difference between soul and spirit - News - Progress-Index

The soul and the spirit are connected, but separable (Hebrews 4:12). The soul is the essence of humanity’s being; it is who we are. The spirit is the aspect of humanity that connects with God.
http://www.gotquestions.org/soul-spirit.html

The spirit is always referred to as the immaterial part of man. Man is not a spirit, he has a spirit. I believe the soul (psyche) is just what the greek word implies... the makeup of man. You are different from every other person. The thing that makes Raymond Raymond is the soul. The soul is how you relate to others and how you understand yourself. The spirit is how you relate to God.
http://www.comereason.org/theo_issues/theo070.asp

Our soul is our inner part containing our mind, emotion and will with which we contact all the things of the psychological realm. Our spirit is our innermost part with which we contact God and substantiate all the things of the spiritual realm.
http://holdingtotruth.com/2012/03/22/is-there-a-difference-between-the-spirit-and-the-soul/

Your soul is who you are; the essence of your being. Your spirit is given to connect with God. When the soul is used in the Bible, it can refer to the whole person: in its most basic sense, the word soul means "life".
http://christianity.stackexchange.com/questions/2206/what-is-the-difference-between-mans-soul-and-spirit

Your soul is your mind, your will and your emotions. Spiritual growth is determined by how much your soul has been changed by the Word of God. Nothing is wrong with your spirit if you are born again; the life of God is in there. You are indwelt by the Holy Ghost. But you are hindered from living a spiritual life by a soul (mind) that thinks like the world instead of like God. This is true because your soul (will) also determines your actions.
http://www.kcm.org/real-help/article/understanding-soul
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 02:14 PM

6,370 posts, read 6,339,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartstarr1960 View Post
By saying the soul is simply "life" are you saying or implying that the soul is material?

In post #2 you said,
It is the soul that makes you, you. God used two things to make man, His breath (spirit) and dust (body). The two combined created life (soul). Man is not simply a spirit, he has a spirit. As you yourself stated, the soul is body + spirit. It's the soul that makes the man. It is what gives us our human experience. The spirit is devoid of human personality or character traits. The function of the spirit is that of communion and communication with God.

Here's an example, albeit imperfect. It is said all living animals possess a soul, but only man has a spirit. If, as you state, the spirit is what makes you, you-then are animals lacking-the things that make you, you? Of course not. I've owned many dogs and cats and all are distinctive. I'm not implying animals have rational thoughts and minds, but each exhibit a degree of individuality.

If multiple spirits collectively define our individual spirit, then an exorcised person is spiritless?

Displaced means to take over the place, position, or role of. In other words, the indwelling Holy Spirit takes over the place, position, or role of our own spirit? Is our spirit replaced or renewed?
If the Holy Spirit displaces our spirit and our spirit is, as you say, what defines us and makes you, you, then why are we not all the same?
Look again at the following verse as I think it answers many questions you have:

1Co 2:11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartstarr1960 View Post
The Greek word from which we get "soul" is transliterated as psyche from which we get psychiatry and related terms. It means your personality, the ego or self, the YOU inside your body looking out the windows of your eyes. So, your soul includes who you are in your mind, emotion, and will.
Pastor explains difference between soul and spirit - News - Progress-Index

The soul and the spirit are connected, but separable (Hebrews 4:12). The soul is the essence of humanity’s being; it is who we are. The spirit is the aspect of humanity that connects with God.
http://www.gotquestions.org/soul-spirit.html

The spirit is always referred to as the immaterial part of man. Man is not a spirit, he has a spirit. I believe the soul (psyche) is just what the greek word implies... the makeup of man. You are different from every other person. The thing that makes Raymond Raymond is the soul. The soul is how you relate to others and how you understand yourself. The spirit is how you relate to God.
http://www.comereason.org/theo_issues/theo070.asp

Our soul is our inner part containing our mind, emotion and will with which we contact all the things of the psychological realm. Our spirit is our innermost part with which we contact God and substantiate all the things of the spiritual realm.
http://holdingtotruth.com/2012/03/22/is-there-a-difference-between-the-spirit-and-the-soul/

Your soul is who you are; the essence of your being. Your spirit is given to connect with God. When the soul is used in the Bible, it can refer to the whole person: in its most basic sense, the word soul means "life".
http://christianity.stackexchange.com/questions/2206/what-is-the-difference-between-mans-soul-and-spirit

Your soul is your mind, your will and your emotions. Spiritual growth is determined by how much your soul has been changed by the Word of God. Nothing is wrong with your spirit if you are born again; the life of God is in there. You are indwelt by the Holy Ghost. But you are hindered from living a spiritual life by a soul (mind) that thinks like the world instead of like God. This is true because your soul (will) also determines your actions.
http://www.kcm.org/real-help/article/understanding-soul
That is incorrect. The psuche would not be the personality. That would be pneuma. Pneuma would be referring to the personality. Psuche would be referring to the exhibition of spirit which would be life. Also, both spirit and soul the immaterial parts of man.

Go look at every reference of psuche in the New Testament and you will see that it is referring to LIFE:

Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

God can destroy the ability of one to exhibit their spirit in the manner they desire. He can take away their life (soul or psuche) without destroying the body.

Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:26 PM

28,384 posts, read 20,894,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous_113 View Post
Could someone tell me what is meant by spirit ? Like in the holy spirit, and in sentences like "I layed my spirit upon him"
The Holy Spirit is the third Person of the Trinity. There are three Persons or centers of consciousness within the Godhead. The Father is the First Person, the Second Person is Jesus Christ who is God the Son, and the Holy Spirit is the Third Person of the Trinity. God is One Being who subsists in three distinct though not separate Persons. In other words, the three Persons of the Godhead, while distinct from each other, do not have separate existence. They are united by their essence or nature which consists of the sum total of their attributes of which some are Sovereignty, Perfect Righteousness, Perfect Justice, Love, Eternal life, Omnipresence, Omnipotence, Omniscience, Immutability, and Veracity. Each of the three Persons of the Godhead have these attributes to an infinite decree. It is in this manner that God is One Being, while yet being three Persons. God subsists as three Persons, who are a united and inseparable one in essence.

The Holy Spirit is identified as God in Acts 5:3-4.
Acts 5:3 But Peter said, ''Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back some of the price of the land? 4] While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not under your control? Why is it that you have conceived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God.''
To lie to the Holy Spirit is to lie to God. And it is to be observed that one cannot lie to a mere force or to an influence as some erroneously claim the Holy Spirit to be, but can only lie to a person or being.

The Holy Spirit has the attributes which belong only to God. For instance, the Holy Spirit has eternally existed.
Hebrews 9:4 how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without blemish to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
The Holy Spirit is omnipresent or everywhere present.
Psalm 139:7 Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? 8] If I ascend to heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there.

And that the Holy Spirit is not the Father, but is distinct from the Father is shown in Romans 8:26-27 in which it said that God the Father knows the mind of the Holy Spirit. That distinguishes the Spirit from the Father. It is also stated that the Holy Spirit intercedes for the believer according to the will of God (the Father). To intercede means to intervene between parties or to plead or speak for someone. The Holy Spirit intercedes for us with the Father with regard to our prayers.
Romans 8:26 In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; 27] and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.
As well, the Holy Spirit is distinct from the Second Person of the Trinity whose human name is Jesus. This distinction is shown in John 14:16 in which Jesus says that He will ask the Father to send another helper after He has ascended to heaven.
John 14:16 ''I will ask the Father, and He will give you another helper, that He may be with you forever; 17] that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you.

Concerning the phrase, ''I layed my spirit upon him'', you are probably referring to Isaiah 42:1.
Isa. 42:1 ''Behold, My servant, whom I uphold; My chosen one in whom My soul delights. I have put My Spirit upon Him; He will bring forth justice to the nations.
When Isaiah speaks of 'My servant', sometimes it is a reference to Israel, and other times, as in Isaiah 42:1 it is a reference to the Messiah. This is a prophetic passage concerning Jesus Christ. During His first advent, when He was baptized by John, the Holy Spirit descended upon Jesus Christ in the form of a dove.
Matthew 3:16 After being baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove and lighting on Him,
During His earthly ministry Jesus relied on the Holy Spirit to sustain Him. Matthew 12:18 quotes Isaiah 42:1.
Matt. 12:17 This was to fulfill what was spoken through Isaiah the prophet; 18] ''Behold, My servant Whom I have chosen; My beloved in Whom I am well pleased; I will put My Spirit upon Him, and He shall proclaim justice to the Gentiles.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:32 PM

19 posts, read 18,637 times
trettep: So spirit can be explained as personality ? The holy spirit = the holy personality ?

Old 11-26-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous_113 View Post
trettep: So spirit can be explained as personality ? The holy spirit = the holy personality ?
Yes, indeed!

Old 11-26-2013, 02:44 PM

Anonymous_113 - Mike posted some verses and wants you to believe that the Holy Spirit is ANOTHER PERSON. But read all those verses that Mike posted and think about what I told you and you will see that what I told you is not contradicted by any verse - not even the ones Mike posted.

This verse alone proves Mike is wrong:

1Co 2:11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

Do you have a separate person in you? Of course not. That verse destroys the idea of a Trinity as 3 distinct persons.

Remember, I said the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of the Father in Heaven, so you will see this make sense:

Rom 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

That Spirit there is His Spirit (The Father's Spirit) = God's Spirit.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:57 PM

1Co 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

What many don't realize about the difference between the spirit of man and the spirit of Christ is that this verse could be understood better as this:

It is saying that the first Adam was made with a spirit that lives whereas the second Adam (Jesus) was made with a spirit that makes living. The contrast being that the spirit that lives can die but the spirit that makes living is superior to death.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:41 PM

28,384 posts, read 20,894,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Anonymous_113 - Mike posted some verses and wants you to believe that the Holy Spirit is ANOTHER PERSON. But read all those verses that Mike posted and think about what I told you and you will see that what I told you is not contradicted by any verse - not even the ones Mike posted.

This verse alone proves Mike is wrong:

Do you have a separate person in you? Of course not. That verse destroys the idea of a Trinity as 3 distinct persons.

Remember, I said the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of the Father in Heaven, so you will see this make sense:

Rom 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

That Spirit there is His Spirit (The Father's Spirit) = God's Spirit.
No attentive and unbiased mind could fail to understand from the provided passages that the Holy Spirit is God, that He is not a force or a mere influence, and that He is distinct from both the Father and the Son. This has been clearly shown in post #14.

The point of 1 Cor. 2:11 is to show that no one can know the things of God apart from the Holy Spirit who is the true Mentor. It is the ministry of God the Holy Spirit who is the Third Person of the Trinity to reveal spiritual things to the believer.

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary
Excerpt:
No one can know the things of God, but his Holy Spirit, who is one with the Father and the Son, and who makes known Divine mysteries to his church. This is most clear testimony, both to the real Godhead and the distinct person of the Holy Spirit. 1 Corinthians 2:11 For who knows a person's thoughts except their own spirit within them? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.

The Bible Knowledge Commentary states...
2:9-10 The blessings of salvation were prepared by the Father, carried out by the Son, and applied by the Spirit (Eph. 1:3-14) to all believers who as a result love God (1 John 4:19). The only way the Corinthians could know this was by the Spirit, who knows and reveals these deep things of God about salvation.
2:11. Paul illustrated this by pointing out that nobody can fully fathom the thoughts of anyone else. How much more then, is the work of the Spirit if the thoughts of God are to be known. [The Bible Knowledge Commentary, New Testament, An Exposition of the Scriptures by Dallas Seminary Faculty, p. 510]
As can be seen, the theologians commentary above do NOT agree with the erroneous claim that 1 Corinthians somehow disproves the Trinity, or that the Holy Spirit is not distinct from the Father.

Now, once again... the fact that the Holy Spirit is distinct from the Father is shown in Romans 8:26-27 in which it said that God the Father knows the mind of the Holy Spirit. That distinguishes the Spirit from the Father. It is also stated that the Holy Spirit intercedes for the believer according to the will of God (the Father). To intercede means to intervene between parties or to plead or speak for someone. The Holy Spirit intercedes for us with the Father with regard to our prayers.
Romans 8:26 In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; 27] and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.
The Father (First Person of the Trinity) who searches the hearts knows the mind of the Spirit (the third Person of the Trinity) who intercedes with the Father on our behalf. This shows the Holy Spirit to be distinct from God the Father.

Since the Holy Spirit intercedes between the Father and the believer, then the Holy Spirit is not the Father. Or the Son for that matter. Since the Father knows the mind of the Holy Spirit then the Holy Spirit is distinct from the Father.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:58 PM

Anonymous_113 look at the last statement from Mike's post above and you will see why their reasoning makes no sense. Here is the piece of his post:

"Since the Father knows the mind of the Holy Spirit then the Holy Spirit is distinct from the Father". See the problem in that? - It would mean that if YOU know YOU then YOU must be distinct from YOU. That is the failed logic and reasoning in the Trinity doctrine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity