U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 09:45 AM

6,370 posts, read 6,336,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartstarr1960 View Post
I'm glad you like Clement, and believe his epistle(s) are inspired. I'm going to provide some excerpts with commentary from 1 Clement, which is widely attributed to his authorship, and 2 Clement which is regarded by scholars as not authored by Clement.

First is 1 Clement 58:2, followed by Bishop Lightfoot's commentary regarding the Trinity,
1Clement 58:2
Receive our counsel, and ye shall have no occasion of regret. For as God liveth, and the Lord Jesus Christ liveth, and the Holy Spirit, who are the faith and the hope of the elect, so surely shall he, who
with lowliness of mind and instant in gentleness hath without regretfulness performed the ordinances and commandments that are given by God, be enrolled and have a name among the number of them
that are saved through Jesus Christ, through whom is the glory unto Him for ever and ever. Amen.

Bishop Lightfoot's Commentary:

Before I post 2 Clement Chapter 14, some scholarly commentary:

I think that should make my point about the authorship of 2 Clement not being Clement.

2 Clement 14. The Church Spiritual

For those who have not read the entire 'epistle', more likely a homily, the word 'flesh' is brought up in several chapters in a different context than what was written in Chapter 14.

An excellent commentary on parts of 2 Clement can be found in ‘“No small counsel about selfcontrol”: Enkrateia and the virtuous body as missional performance in 2 Clement’, HTS Teologiese Studies/Theological Studies 69(1), Art. #1340, 10 pages. De Wet, C.L., 2013,

2 Clement in its entirety can be found here, http://aren.org/prison/documents/rel...%20Clement.pdf it's a short, easy read.
Here is the text I use for 1 Clement:

First Clement: Clement of Rome It reads differently than yours.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 12:56 PM

4,883 posts, read 5,705,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
People search high and low for the kingdom...when all they have to do is seek the kingdom WITHIN themselves! God isn't hiding...he lives in ALL of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
How is Daniel 2 v 44 within a person ?________

At Luke 17 v 20 isn't Jesus addressing the Pharisees?
Would the thousand-year kingdom of God be within the Pharisees, or rather that Jesus was within their midst ?
Please notice it is Not until verse 22 that Jesus addresses his disciples.
To be sure his disciples understood that the kingdom would Not immediately or instantly appear Jesus gave them the illustration of Luke 19 vs 11-15 where Jesus, as the nobleman, would go away to a far country [ heaven ] before he would return in kingdom glory. The future glory time of Matthew 25 vs 31,32.
Thanks for proving my point. God isn't found in a book (particularly, a book that is filled with writings by ignorant people and people with an agenda, who wouldn't know God if he hit them upside the head)...God lives WITHIN each and every one of us. Seek there and you will find not only find God but the Kingdom as well!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity