Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2008, 03:36 PM

23,013 posts, read 34,374,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Excuse me?

Does "His mercy endures forever" sound familiar? It's mentioned 41 times in the KJV.
Yes His grace and mercy endures forever but only to those who He knows, those who chose Him as their Savior.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:38 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,271,106 times
Quote:
Excuse me?

Does "His mercy endures forever" sound familiar? It's mentioned 41 times in the KJV.
Hebrews 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
28 He that despised Moses’ law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

James 2:13 For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:57 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,175,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
James 2:13 For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:11 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,685,900 times
cg81,

Rev 22:2 There is a tree of life and the leaves are for the healing of the nations.

If there is no more mercy for the nations after the judgement why is there reference to healing of the nations? Does this not refer to mercy after physical death and after judgement?

Why does God refer to his elect as priests and kings if they are not going to have people to minister to?

Christs followers are instructed to have mercy to others just as we have been shown mercy.

There is judgement after death however it is not eternal - it is aonian which relates to an age. Those that are priests and kings will have life in that age, they are already resurrected, those that have done evil will have judgement/chastisement in that age.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Yes.. God in His mercy would rejoice to rescue a sinner from judgment, but at the same time, those who remain unrepentant and are found in this state at the judgment will have no mercy at all.

(You know what, little elmer? When I posted that verse, I knew that you would reply in this way. Why? Because it is a prime example of scriptures used by UR promoters, with focus placed on a vague portion of the scripture that somehow is supposed to agree with their own theory, and with little or no emphasis placed on the clear, unmistakable portion.)

That's not how the Truth works.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
If there is no more mercy for the nations after the judgement why is there reference to healing of the nations? Does this not refer to mercy after physical death and after judgement?

Why does God refer to his elect as priests and kings if they are not going to have people to minister to?
This is happening right now in the spiritual kingdom. The healing for all nations is available now, and we are reigning with Christ.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Hebrews 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
28 He that despised Moses’ law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Cg

Quite right, those that do not show mercy will be judged without mercy but that judgement will not be eternal and the judgement will be according to their deeds. It will be aonian judgement relating to the age of judgement. When God is all in all - judgement will be passed all will be resurrected to life, all will bow, confess and be obedient.

I think that the lack of compassion for those that will die without knowing Christ is similar to the parable of the prodigal son

Quote:
The story is found in Luke 15:11-32. Jesus tells the story of a man who has two sons. The younger demands his share of his inheritance while his father is still living, and goes off to a distant country where he "waste[s] his substance with riotous living", and eventually has to take work as a swine herder (clearly a low point, as swine are not kosher in Judaism). There he comes to his senses, and decides to return home and throw himself on his father's mercy, thinking that even if his father does disown him, that being one of his servants is still far better than feeding pigs. But when he returns home, his father greets him with open arms, and hardly gives him a chance to express his repentance; he kills a fatted calf to celebrate his return. The older brother becomes jealous at the favored treatment of his faithless brother and upset at the lack of reward for his own faithfulness. But the father responds:

Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine. It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found.
To me it seems that there is a parallel between this parable and the concern that the christian has that their faith needs to be rewarded and the sinner who doesn't repent before death does not deserve mercy after death.

This parable actually says that mercy will be given to the faithless when they repent and show faith. This is not limited by death.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
This is happening right now in the spiritual kingdom. The healing for all nations is available now, and we are reigning with Christ.
And it will continue to happen until God is all in all

Old 10-02-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
And it will continue to happen until God is all in all
God is, and always has been, all in all.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:52 PM

cg,,

If God is now all in all and has always been what does this refer to?

1 Cor 15:28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him that God may be all in all.

When all things are subdued implies that it is a future event not a past or current event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity