Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 08:03 AM

19 posts, read 20,910 times

Advertisements

Could someone tell me what is meant by spirit ? Like in the holy spirit, and in sentences like "I layed my spirit upon him"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 08:12 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,029,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous_113 View Post
Could someone tell me what is meant by spirit ? Like in the holy spirit, and in sentences like "I layed my spirit upon him"
In High School, the cheerleaders will come out and give cheers to give you the school spirit. Think like that when you consider what "spirit" is. It is a behavior/character/being. Now consider this verse:

1Co 2:11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

You have a spirit in you. It defines who YOU are. So the spirit in YOU is the part that makes YOU - YOU. Only the You in You knows what You know.

The HOLY Spirit is the spirit of the Father in Heaven. It defines who He is just as your spirit defines who YOU are.

Now there are going to be many here that want you to believe that the Holy Spirit is ANOTHER PERSON but I have already shown you a verse that shows that not be the case. There is no such thing as that. When you see the references to the Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost in the scriptures it is a reference to the same thing - the Spirit of the Father Himself (GOD).

A brief mention on the WORD of God for a moment. Jesus said the following:

Joh 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

The word spirit in greek is pneuma which we refer to as simply air. Now think about a Word it is AIR but it is more because that air carries meaning. So when Jesus says the words He speaks are Spirit He is showing that the words He is speaking are carrying the behavior/character that can transform you if you believe (Have Faith) to make them of your own spirit. In other words, His words carry knowledge that can transform you by making you change your spirit from what YOU are to what He is which is just like His Father in Heaven.

Learn all that above and you will gain a vastly superior knowledge in Bible understanding just a result of that going forward.

Last edited by trettep; 11-26-2013 at 09:09 AM..

Old 11-26-2013, 08:50 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times

Old 11-26-2013, 09:07 AM

400 posts, read 601,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
You have a spirit in you. It defines who YOU are. So the spirit in YOU is the part that makes YOU - YOU. Only the You in You knows what You know.
If the spirit makes us who we are, then what does the soul do? I was taught the soul consists of our intellect, emotions and will; thus is the essence of our humanity, making us who we are. The spirit is the aspect of our humanity that connects with God.

Can one body house many spirits?

Last edited by bartstarr1960; 11-26-2013 at 09:24 AM..

Old 11-26-2013, 09:09 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartstarr1960 View Post
If the spirit makes us who we are, then what does the soul do? I was taught the soul consists of our intellect, emotions and will thus is the essence of our humanity, making us who we are. The spirit is the aspect of our humanity that connects with God.

The sould animates, it is the breath of life. Yes, there are people with multiple personality disorder.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartstarr1960 View Post
If the spirit makes us who we are, then what does the soul do? I was taught the soul consists of our intellect, emotions and will thus is the essence of our humanity, making us who we are. The spirit is the aspect of our humanity that connects with God.
The soul psuche (greek) simply is the LIFE of a person. In other words it is the exhibition of our spirit.

body + spirit = soul (life)

Quote:
Sure, if you reference them accordintgly, like for example, a spirit of deceit, a spirit of evny, a spirit of spite, etc..

Many people have multiple spirits but collectively they are defining the person's individual spirit. These negative spiritual attributes are what are called "demons". We all seem to have them. When we become more like Christ we put on His Spirit and ours is displaced. This is what is means by if we lose our life we will find it. Because we are losing our life (the spirit that defines our soul) by putting on His Spirit which will cause us to exhibit a different life (His Life) in us.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:12 AM

691 posts, read 641,168 times
massless energy

Old 11-26-2013, 09:16 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,388,856 times
Quote:
In High School, the cheerleaders will come out and give cheers to give you the school spirit. Think like that when you consider what "spirit" is. It is a behavior/character/being. Now consider this verse:

1Co 2:11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

The HOLY Spirit is the spirit of the Father in Heaven. It defines who He is just as your spirit defines who YOU are.

Now there are going to be many here that want you to believe that the Holy Spirit is ANOTHER PERSON but I have already shown you a verse that shows that not be the case. There is no such thing as that. When you see the references to the Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost in the scriptures it is a reference to the same thing - the Spirit of the Father Himself (GOD).

A brief mention on the WORD of God for a moment. Jesus said the following:

Joh 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

The word spirit in greek is pneuma which we refer to as simply air. Now think about a Word it is AIR but it is more because that air carries meaning. So when Jesus says the words He speaks are Spirit He is showing that the words He is speaking are carrying the behavior/character that can transform you if you believe (Have Faith) to make them of your own spirit. In other words, His words carry knowledge that can transform you by making you change your spirit from what YOU are to what He is which is just like His Father in Heaven.

Learn all that above and you will gain a vastly superior knowledge in Bible understanding just a result of that going forward.
Nice! Thanks for posting, trettep.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Nice! Thanks for posting, trettep.
Thanks Pleroo, I think the misunderstanding of what the spirit is - is at the core of many false doctrines that obscure/replace the Truth.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:43 AM

400 posts, read 601,757 times
Quote:
The soul psuche (greek) simply is the LIFE of a person. In other words it is the exhibition of our spirit.
body + spirit = soul (life)
By saying the soul is simply "life" are you saying or implying that the soul is material?

In post #2 you said,
Quote:
You have a spirit in you. It defines who YOU are. So the spirit in YOU is the part that makes YOU - YOU.
It is the soul that makes you, you. God used two things to make man, His breath (spirit) and dust (body). The two combined created life (soul). Man is not simply a spirit, he has a spirit. As you yourself stated, the soul is body + spirit. It's the soul that makes the man. It is what gives us our human experience. The spirit is devoid of human personality or character traits. The function of the spirit is that of communion and communication with God.

Here's an example, albeit imperfect. It is said all living animals possess a soul, but only man has a spirit. If, as you state, the spirit is what makes you, you-then are animals lacking-the things that make you, you? Of course not. I've owned many dogs and cats and all are distinctive. I'm not implying animals have rational thoughts and minds, but each exhibit a degree of individuality.

Quote:
Sure, if you reference them accordintgly, like for example, a spirit of deceit, a spirit of evny, a spirit of spite, etc..
Many people have multiple spirits but collectively they are defining the person's individual spirit. These negative spiritual attributes are what are called "demons". We all seem to have them.
If multiple spirits collectively define our individual spirit, then an exorcised person is spiritless?

Quote:
When we become more like Christ we put on His Spirit and ours is displaced. This is what is means by if we lose our life we will find it. Because we are losing our life (the spirit that defines our soul) by putting on His Spirit which will cause us to exhibit a different life (His Life) in us.
Displaced means to take over the place, position, or role of. In other words, the indwelling Holy Spirit takes over the place, position, or role of our own spirit? Is our spirit replaced or renewed?
If the Holy Spirit displaces our spirit and our spirit is, as you say, what defines us and makes you, you, then why are we not all the same?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity