Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 04:29 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,778 times

Advertisements

Why even celebrate it? I buy a gift here and there. But I will never tell my kids he was born that day. That would be telling them a blatant lie. I don't care when he was born. We should celebrate the day he defeated death. We Christians have this debate every year. It gets old. But I took the bait and reaponded anyway.
I read that at one time Christmas was frowned upon by Christians. Because all the partying. Then eventually we went along to get along like we do with everything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 04:30 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Why? In that culture that sort of thing was done quite often. In fact, when the muslims took over Jerusalem, they built a mosque on top of the temple mount. They took over the area for their own use and made it their own. Other times, a church was often built on top of another religion (probably islamic) site. They took it and made it their own. It's just what they did. Likewise, they did it with December 25. Yes, it was a pagan holiday...but they took it and made it Christian.
They didn't make it "Christian" they claimed it was. A vast difference.

Remember the Jews made a Golden calf and said it was their God. That didn't work out to well did it.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:32 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
Why even celebrate it? I buy a gift here and there. But I will never tell my kids he was born that day. That would be telling them a blatant lie. I don't care when he was born. We should celebrate the day he defeated death. We Christians have this debate every year. It gets old. But I took the bait and reaponded anyway.
I read that at one time Christmas was frowned upon by Christians. Because all the partying. Then eventually we went along to get along like we do with everything else.
More and more are seeing the falsehood behind it, the materialism it leads to and are turning away from it.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:32 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
No problem with rejoicing with anything you want.

BUT for the Church to make it a Religious celebration for the Church goes beyond what they have the authority to do. THEN to pull in pagan practices and dates makes it far worse.
Well, so far as I know, no Church has made it a law that Christmas must be celebrated. Authority to act in God's name is, I believe, very important, but I don't believe we need authority to guide every aspect of our lives. People who share the belief in Jesus Christ are doing nothing more, really, than celebrating the fact that He came to earth to act as our Redeemer. Those of us who celebrate Christmas are simply commemorating the beautify events surrounding His birth. It's a nice tradition, I think. It doesn't mater to me in the slightest which day we celebrate it on. I just love being with family and friends. I love the Christmas music and all of the things that remind me of Jesus Christ. That's all that matters to me.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:18 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,374,256 times
Quote:
Anyone with brains will avoid a day based on a pagan celebration and never mentioned as a day to celebrate in Scripture.
But people love Christmas way too much to let a silly thing like that get in their way. There were 2 kids in my kids elementary school whose family didn't believe in celebrating Christmas, so the school decided to put an end to all Christmas parties. The school wouldn't follow any of the suggestions put before them such as let the 2 go into another room and do something for the hour of the party, because the 2 kids parents were so adamant about it. Well, after Christmas, the girls were showing my daughter the gifts they got for Christmas. They said their parents felt so bad for them because everyone else was talking about what they wanted for Christmas in front of them, so they decided to celebrate Christmas after all! After all that, they had Christmas! Talk about keeping up with the Jones!

Old 12-03-2013, 07:13 PM

264 posts, read 351,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FundamentalBibleBeliever View Post
Not a chance. And no it does not matter for we are not told to remember the day of His birth.
That's right, we were told to remember his death burial and resurrection, which points the way to our spiritual birth, not his flesh birth which was on the feast of Tabernacles for he is our Emanuel( God with us) Our E-manual sent from God being THE WORD made flesh who dwelt among us. : )

Old 12-03-2013, 07:32 PM

264 posts, read 351,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Do you think Jesus was born on December 25? Does it really matter?
Was Jesus Born On December 25?
No, he was born on the feast of Tabernacles.

Satan....opps, I mean Santa

Wears RED
Gives all shapes of gifts to good and bad little girls and boys, rather they are proper things for our good or not, he don't seem to care.
Sits on a throne where children sit on his lap
Has elves that do his bidding
Receives worship that is rightfully GOD'S
If you ask a child who they would rather talk to Santa or God, they will more than likely choose Santa because they think that he is going to give them something. Yet it is GOD who is the true blesser, for Santa is just a mere IDOL that we have sacrificed our children TO! And God is the ONE WITH ALL THE GOODS.

God
Wears WHITE
Gives appropriate gifts according to our actions, but gave us the best gifts in His Son and Spirit which when you have them, you are JOINT HEIRS OF THE EARTH.
God sits on His THRONE in heaven over all the earth and His children always look up to Him with their requests.. all year long.
God has beautiful, strong and mighty Angels to do His bidding.
He seeks the worship of those who love Him and calls them His children whom He raises up in righteousness, integrity and godly character as he provides for, protects and heals them.

Last edited by afaithfulone4u; 12-03-2013 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: added

Old 12-03-2013, 07:41 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,636 times
Default Who Knows?

Jesus was born on "Labour Day"! Just ask Mary!

Old 12-03-2013, 07:51 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afaithfulone4u View Post
God
Wears WHITE
Oh come on. You don't really believe that.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:16 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Sept.Oct 2BC
I have the original Certificate of Live Birth. I'm holding onto it for the Antiques Roadshow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity