Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 10:31 AM

264 posts, read 350,871 times

Advertisements

How you can tell is when you read the Word of God CAN YOU RECEIVE WHAT YOU ARE READING AS THE TRUTH TO LIVE BY having the ears TO HEAR?
Or do you pick and choose like DENOMINATIONS do accepting only what you like the Bible to say having only ears for the SMOOTH THINGS that don't interfere with your comfort zone?

2 Tim 4:1-5
4:1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.
KJV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 10:58 AM

400 posts, read 601,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afaithfulone4u View Post
How you can tell is when you read the Word of God CAN YOU RECEIVE WHAT YOU ARE READING AS THE TRUTH TO LIVE BY having the ears TO HEAR?
Or do you pick and choose like DENOMINATIONS do accepting only what you like the Bible to say having only ears for the SMOOTH THINGS that don't interfere with your comfort zone?
Diana, would you please give concrete examples of specific scriptural picking and choosing of the various denominations? Thanks.

Moderator cut: deletion

Last edited by june 7th; 12-05-2013 at 04:55 AM.. Reason: To be addressed.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:41 AM

27 posts, read 26,140 times
An Inuit hunter asked the local missionary priest: ‘If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?’ ‘No,’ said the priest, ‘not if you did not know.’ ‘Then why,’ asked the Inuit earnestly, ‘did you tell me?’

Old 12-04-2013, 12:05 PM

691 posts, read 640,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayBlue View Post
An Inuit hunter asked the local missionary priest: ‘If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?’ ‘No,’ said the priest, ‘not if you did not know.’ ‘Then why,’ asked the Inuit earnestly, ‘did you tell me?’
Kinda like when the Gospel is preached in every Nation then shall the end come, makes one wonder about missionary work, good intent maybe yet one has to ask, "end of what" Anyone see what I am saying?

Old 12-04-2013, 12:31 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
Or do you pick and choose like DENOMINATIONS do accepting only what you like the Bible to say having only ears for the SMOOTH THINGS that don't interfere with your comfort zone
KJV
Don't you have to belong to a "denomination" to believe in the bible.
You're right about how people pick and choose what they feel "comfortable" with from the bible...I see it all the time...I hear it all the time...hippocracy comes to mind.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
You're right about how people pick and choose what they feel "comfortable" with from the bible...I see it all the time...I hear it all the time...hippocracy comes to mind.
A denomination is a division or Christ being divided. There is just ONE WORD and it is a matter of us coming into UNITY of what the Word really says, not what we want to hear it say. Such as what is really the Sabbath or 7th day of the week that is our day of rest. God has never changed that but that topic is battled over and over again. Or if it is Christ who is the foundation of HIS church being the Word of God or Peter a man who is the foundation which HE IS NOT!
Of course we may not always agree for the Word is very deep with many mysteries written within, but there should be no such thing as a Baptists, Protestants, Catholics, Jehovah's Witnesses, Lutherans, Mormons etc... we are supposed to be CHRISTIANS.
We have been brought into Christ and the Word is who we must follow, not the men who may have started these movements that led to DIVISION and not UNITY.

Heb 12:22-23
22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,
KJV
1 Cor 1:10-15
10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;
15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.
KJV

Old 12-04-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartstarr1960 View Post
Diana, would you please give concrete examples of specific scriptural picking and choosing of the various denominations? Thanks.

Moderator cut: Orphaned
How about the 7th day Sabbath being changed to the first day of the week?
How about Peter being the FOUNDATION of the church instead of CHRIST?
How about None of the OT saints being in heaven?
How about the natural Jews being the seed of Abraham instead of those of the Promise Seed which is Christ?
How about Jesus being resurrected on Sunday instead of the 7TH DAY OF PASSOVER?
Just to name a few.

Moderator cut: Off topic in response

Last edited by june 7th; 12-05-2013 at 04:58 AM..

Old 12-04-2013, 01:49 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Yet it is always somebody else who picks and chooses what they feel comfortable with. Interpreted as meaning if you don't believe what I believe you're picking and choosing. The reason I care what others believe and what I believe is because what we believe rules us.

Thy life is an image inexorably cast. By the pictures that form in thy mind. And that which thou see'st is that which thou hast. See'st thou evil, and evil is thine. Anon.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:43 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Quote:
4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
Especially, the infernal dungeons.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:06 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
It would be beneficial if the mainstream YEC Creatiionist Fundamentalist churches actually looked seriously at their dogma and asked if what they follow are FABLES. The greatest deception Satan achieved was in getting people to believe they must believe every word in the man-constructed Bible as the absolute truth and word of God. By telling people not to trust their conscience they invalidated the New Covenant. Under it we are SUPPOSED to use the Holy Spirit of Christ who abides with us (Comforter) within our consciousness to seek the truth that God has "written in our hearts." Instead trusting our human interpretation of the unreliable words "written in ink that contain so many contradictions, inconsistencies, and outright barbarisms has CORRUPTED Christ's Gospel. It has done so for over 2000+ years. It is a travesty of human irrationality and perversion that Christ's unambiguous message of LOVE could so easily be corrupted and used as a servant of hate and division.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 12-04-2013 at 03:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity