U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 12:17 PM

9,795 posts, read 6,765,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Okay, Dave, I went back to pick up the thread of our conversation because, yes, I am confused .... Here it is:

Dave, I said that this last question ^^^ was what I wanted an answer to. Why didn't you just respond with what you said in your very last post to me instead of making me repeat the question? Then I could have said ... "OH, I misunderstood." My impression was that you were chastising people for questioning and/or disagreeing with Mike's understanding. Then, I thought maybe I had misunderstood your intent, but I was never sure. I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt, but it seemed the more I questioned you to clarify, the more offended you became.

I'll chalk it up to us having different styles of communication ... or something. We've definitely gotten off on a bad foot, it seems, and I'm sorry for the part I played in that.
Communication is not just a transfer of information... books can do that, so in addition to information exchange, communication is a transfer of emotion, example: "today is my day off" or "today I'm gonna have a pissing match with someone on the internet on my day off".
There are two types of questions... probing and clarifying. Probing questions are rooted in discovery and often used to judge. Clarification question are used to communicated effectively. Roger-tango-out

For clarification...are you a Christian?
Rate this post positively

Old 12-12-2013, 12:22 PM

17,157 posts, read 9,968,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Communication is not just a transfer of information... books can do that, so in addition to information exchange, communication is a transfer of emotion, example: "today is my day off" or "today I'm gonna have a pissing match with someone on the internet on my day off".
There are two types of questions... probing and clarifying. Probing questions are rooted in discovery and often used to judge. Clarification question are used to communicated effectively. Roger-tango-out
"Roger-tango-out." That, to me, means you are dismissing what I have to say ... hopefully, once again, I am misunderstanding you. Are you are assuming that I was not using questions to clarify things with you? If so, why?

Quote:
For clarification...are you a Christian?

Dave, based on this...

Quote:
Clearly one of us is not a Christian at this point. I now impose the 3 strike rule... your out. no grace at home plate...

Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven

I'm dusting off my feet (and home plate) 'cause I'm done with you in this thread. I'm sure we'll meet up again when your graceless diatribe rears it's head.

I sincerely question your motive for asking me that question.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
"Roger-tango-out." That, to me, means you are dismissing what I have to say ... hopefully, once again, I am misunderstanding you. Are you are assuming that I was not using questions to clarify things with you? If so, why?

Dave, based on this...

I sincerely question your motive for asking me that question.
You are... once again misunderstanding me. I clearly said for "clarification"... no judgement, no looking through a cloudy crystal ball, no deception, no verbal trickery, no cunningness, no secret GOTCHA, just a very simple question.

Are you a Christian?

Old 12-12-2013, 12:57 PM

17,157 posts, read 9,968,002 times
Quote:
You are... once again misunderstanding me. I clearly said for "clarification"... no judgement, no looking through a cloudy crystal ball, no deception, no verbal trickery, no cunningness, no secret GOTCHA, just a very simple question.

Are you a Christian?

Well, then here I go trying to clarify ... You said: "There are two types of questions... probing and clarifying. Probing questions are rooted in discovery and often used to judge. Clarification question are used to communicated effectively."

Which of those two types of questions do you think I was using in our conversation?

As to your question of me, as I said, I am not inclined to answer based on your previous post. If you tell me the reason you want to know whether or not I am a Christian, then I may reconsider.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:35 PM

6,370 posts, read 6,426,526 times
Quote:
My turn.

Do you believe that how you judge others will be how you will be judged?

Yes.

Do you believe the lake of fire draws seekers to God or pushes them away from Him?
I don't believe in a literal lake of fire. Baptisms are done in lakes and God calls His Fire the Holy Spirit. God says it is by the Holy Spirit that one is regenerated. So when I see mention of Lake of Fire in the Bible, I see communication about the regeneration of wicked evildoers.

Ask me more questions. I'll answer your questions with Yes or No and then expound if necessary. I'm very comfortable in my undertanding of God and the Lake of Fire.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
I don't believe in a literal lake of fire. Baptisms are done in lakes and God calls His Fire the Holy Spirit. God says it is by the Holy Spirit that one is regenerated. So when I see mention of Lake of Fire in the Bible, I see communication about the regeneration of wicked evildoers.

Ask me more questions. I'll answer your questions with Yes or No and then expound if necessary. I'm very comfortable in my undertanding of God and the Lake of Fire.
Does it push them away, or draw them to God... a question of clarification.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:09 PM

6,370 posts, read 6,426,526 times
Quote:
My belief in what the lake of fire is draws people to God.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:22 PM

28,960 posts, read 13,519,365 times
Quote:
In the Presence of the Lamb:

"Do you think that Jesus and His Messengers' would take pleasure in watching people being tortured for all eternity?"

Old 12-13-2013, 12:25 AM

670 posts, read 750,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
In the Presence of the Lamb:

"Do you think that Jesus and His Messengers' would take pleasure in watching people being tortured for all eternity?"
Of course he wouldn't, this man asked god to forgive the people who made him suffer, and took pity on people who others thought ill of.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:28 AM

Sorry June... my bad.

I thought a bit of iron on iron might bring out some fire. Sometimes when I see the world as a nail all I want to be is a hammer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.