Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 07:31 PM

103 posts, read 118,761 times

Advertisements

Growing up, pastors seemed like Godlike men to me. Even though I've lowered my view a few notches over the years I still respect them greatly, admire their work, and appreciate their sacrifices.

My ? is really in 2 parts
How do pastors view themselves?

How do people view pastors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 08:15 PM

35,662 posts, read 21,025,987 times
I don't know that's a hard one. I know some do great works of love and good teaching, etc but some woweee

Old 12-13-2013, 08:35 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,498,990 times
I can't speak for "other people" but I view pastors one on one without any stereotyping.

I have met many good , honest and sincere pastors, and I have met many pastors who really need to find another job..another life..another planet

Old 12-13-2013, 08:40 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,692,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I can't speak for "other people" but I view pastors one on one without any stereotyping.

I have met many good , honest and sincere pastors, and I have met many pastors who really need to find another job..another life..another planet
Love the last quote and so true

blessings

Old 12-13-2013, 09:03 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,179,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PONDerings View Post
Growing up, pastors seemed like Godlike men to me. Even though I've lowered my view a few notches over the years I still respect them greatly, admire their work, and appreciate their sacrifices.

My ? is really in 2 parts
How do pastors view themselves?

How do people view pastors?
I think the general view of the position of pastor has gone downhill. There used to be a great deal of respect for the pastor. That's not the case anymore. I think there is a lot of of the mistique or awe is gone. When I was a kid, the priest was a special guy. Only he could talk to God--and without him, we had no hope. I think my in-laws, who are Lutheran, felt the same about their pastor. Whether or not that is true....isn't the point. It's just how we tended to view the "man of the cloth".

Part of that is due to some scandals--some pastors have really blown it. We've also seen the Catholic church pedophilia scandal--and that has really made a bad name for all pastors, I think. I think part of it, as well, is due to people just not being familiar with the idea of giving the respect--as many are unchurched. There is also, I think, a movement in the last couple of generations of pastors trying to appear less serious and formal.

I am somewhat new to the ministry, and I'm still getting used to being called "pastor". I am fine with people calling me by my first name. I'm not special. I may have more education than my congregants, but God doesn't love me any more than them. I do enjoy getting out among my congregants and getting to know them. I like having coffee, or working beside them, or hunting with them. It helps me get to know them better, and I can better know what their needs are.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:08 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,822,829 times
Pastors who realize that 'ministry' is really about getting out of the way and allowing God to do "the work of the Lord" ... view themselves as blessed and privileged to participate in what God is doing.

How pastors want to be viewed is another matter. These are a few compliments that stick out in my mind: (1) "I may not agree with everything you preach, but, there is no question in my mind that you sincerely believe it" (2) I don't remember your name, but, I remember what you said about ....." (3) After I heard you speak about ( .....), this is what I did, and here is what happened" ....

How people view pastors is perhaps determined more by their own expectations, than by the pastor. Far too many, see the pastor as a 'hired hand' whose 'job' is to ‘DO’ all of the ministry in their church/group. They are never happy or satisfied with what is going on. Others see the pastor as a 'coach' or 'encourager' whose role is to teach and lead others to discover and participate in the work God has prepared them to do. These folks are a blessing to the pastor, church and community.

As with most fields, there are, of course, some pastors who enter the ministry for reasons other than a 'calling by God.' They are often less effective and less highly regarded, because they tend to focus more on religion and doctrine, than on the Lord. Also, like many people, they sometimes get burned-out "trying to do the work of the Lord in the arm of the flesh."

Finally, How do pastors view their congregations? -- There are many answers that reflect the nature of both: ... Part of a team of fellow workers; .... People who need help in discovering what God has for them; OR ... sometimes as an audience; ... and sometimes as critics. --- In the case of the latter, I remember a pastor's response to a member of the congregation who frequently complained about how the pastor 'did ministry.' --The pastor finally asked, "How do you do ministry?" -- The complainer responded, I don't, that's your job!" --- The pastor replied, "I like my way better."

Last edited by jghorton; 12-13-2013 at 09:18 AM..

Old 12-13-2013, 09:20 AM

103 posts, read 118,761 times
What made me think of this question was recently reading about circuit riders, frontier men of the cloth who road horseback to basically wherever needed, besides a set circuit of stops. The story I read was a compilation of true life writings expressing the anticipation and excitement generated when the parson came a callin'. The best of everything was laid out for the occasion, the kids scrubbed, the meat and milk fresh.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:29 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,498,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PONDerings View Post
What made me think of this question was recently reading about circuit riders, frontier men of the cloth who road horseback to basically wherever needed, besides a set circuit of stops. The story I read was a compilation of true life writings expressing the anticipation and excitement generated when the parson came a callin'. The best of everything was laid out for the occasion, the kids scrubbed, the meat and milk fresh.
And weddings, baptisms, revivals, etc to prepare for. I think that is what they looked forward to.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:45 AM

14,950 posts, read 9,787,725 times
When you sit across from a Senior/Lead/head Pastor in the board room as an Elder, there is a different dynamic. It’s not an easy job being a pastor, grossly underpaid, and completely unappreciated. Put 2000 sinners in the same building…. and you’ll know why we pray so much.

So in the board room…. The collar comes off, mercy and grace fall to the rear, and it can get heated. Lots of iron on iron… but for the most part it works. The part you don't see is the part I did see. Paying the bills, paying salaries, fund raisers, who's doing what to whom, out of wedlock pregnancies, who said what about who, feminism, gay rights, who's always calling in sick, who's a drug addict or a drunk, stealing, etc... Believe me it ain't all pretty stuff. I’ve even played bouncer a time or two. The scary stuff is when it involves kids. The world is hyper sensitive to ALL issues involving children. In fact, it's just a mirror of life in general... with a lot more praying. The good news is… if your bringing in the sinners you’re doing what God wants. Sick people go to the hospital, sinners go to church. My favorite style Pastor is the Godly humble confident stubborn type…. not Hell in a hand basket, arrogant, heard-headed, type. I like the Pastor who gets out front, ‘cause the lead dog in the team has a good view… or maybe the only view worth looking at.

I have no issues with the heat but I never was comfortable with a Pastor who was Cujoe in the board room and Benji in the pulpit. One of those dogs is a fake.... and I'd call 'em out if they were. Often they were just afraid to upset someone so political correctness crept in. UGH! Time to get your man card punched. In addition, I'm not a big fan of vain Pastors.... they use way too much hair spray. Ultra liberal pastors are “so nice” and the women love ‘em, but they couldn’t operate a hot dog stand.

If you were a Theology major and went from Seminary College to the pulpit... you’re probably clueless about life. You’ll scripturize me and I’ll dirt road you right back. You better be able to swing a hammer or have a wife who can ‘cause things need fixin’.

To know a Pastor is to love a Pastor.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:53 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,179,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post

I have no issues with the heat but I never was comfortable with a Pastor who was Cujoe in the board room and Benji in the pulpit. One of those dogs is a fake.... and I'd call 'em out if they were.
I love the way you phrased that. My senior pastor that I interned under was the same in any circumstance--he was just a nice guy, who had a way of phrasing things so you got the point.
Quote:
If you were a Theology major and went from Seminary College to the pulpit... you’re probably clueless about life. You’ll scripturize me and I’ll dirt road you right back. You better be able to swing a hammer or have a wife who can ‘cause things need fixin’.

To know a Pastor is to love a Pastor.
I have also found out that a lot of pastors that have been in the pulpit since age 24 are not as aware of how life works. They tend to be a bit naive. I spent 20 years in secular life prior to the ministry...and I think it's helped me a bit. I keep reminding myself that when a board member is a bear to deal with....it may not have anything to do with me--he might have just had a bad day. Or he had a fight with his wife, or his kid caused him some problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity