Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 10:23 AM

103 posts, read 118,857 times

Advertisements

Our pastor retired last summer. The new pastor is not nearly as popular. Recently, an assistant pastor resigned. A month later he called many of us, informing us he'd taken a senior pastor position at another church in town, then invited us to check him out. Several have now left to attend that church. Is it ethical for the pastor to invite people to his church? Should we consider going?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 10:30 AM

452 posts, read 709,694 times
No, it isn't ethical to cull a congregation unless that congregation is not being taught solid biblical truths.

Pray about it and ask our Father to push you in the right direction.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:35 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
I'd call the behavior despicable.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:45 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
By asking the question, you have already answered it in your own mind. ... What you are really asking is, is it now ethical for you to simply leave on this basis. The answer to that is more about you, than him ... although one might more closely examine the character and ethics of this assistant pastor - in other areas.

Most pastors who move to another church in an area will go out of their way to avoid "sheep-stealing or proselytizing" in the prior congregation. But, it takes money to run a church and what easier place to get it than from known givers?

Old 12-18-2013, 04:21 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
I believe that if Jesus Spirit would be leading the Pastor to ask people to go to His church that then, the Pastor should then ask the people who do go to be praying for a lead in the Spirit of Christ which church should the people and their families be going , and best not to play God in People lives and the calling of Christ in these people .... As Jesus will build His church and anoint it with His callings and Jesus Holy Angels will be attendants from Jesus

Old 12-18-2013, 04:52 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PONDerings View Post
Our pastor retired last summer. The new pastor is not nearly as popular. Recently, an assistant pastor resigned. A month later he called many of us, informing us he'd taken a senior pastor position at another church in town, then invited us to check him out. Several have now left to attend that church. Is it ethical for the pastor to invite people to his church? Should we consider going?
Is there a reason the assistant resigned? Is there a problem with the church? Did he leave just because he was overlooked to be the Senior?

Old 12-18-2013, 07:15 PM

103 posts, read 118,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Is there a reason the assistant resigned? Is there a problem with the church? Did he leave just because he was overlooked to be the Senior?
I realize I did open the door for more questions, but I don't want to be a gossip, etc..

Old 12-18-2013, 09:19 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,778 times
It almost as if he wants his fanclub to follow.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:14 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PONDerings View Post
I realize I did open the door for more questions, but I don't want to be a gossip, etc..
I would tend to not think very highly of such a pastor. As a pastor, I usually try to avoid looking like I'm trying to "steal sheep". I don't believe most of them in the area preach the Gospel...but I'm not going to overtly bad-mouth the church and talk them into coming to mine. I don't think that accomplishes much.

About 30 years ago a church in my area had the pastor leave over an issue of speaking in tongues. The agreement he had with the elder board was that he would not start a new church. What happened was that another church was planted...and a year later he went to pastor it. Technically, he did not start a new church...but he was looked down upon regardless.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:51 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
He is trying to undermine the new pastor he left, and his church. I would not think too highly of that.

People knew him, and if God led them to follow they would without being solicitied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity