Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 02:07 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,489,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Isnt the whole point of communion as well to examine yourself in how you are living also. IF you have anger or resentment towards someone, you should not be taking communion until you have a clear heart.
Yes that is part of preparing oneself prior to taking.
Also scriptures teaches a "close" (not closed) communion with the same body of believers, not this open to anybody who comes up that is practiced ... usually by the same crowd that scoffs at Jesus by their "represents" instead of "IS" that Jesus said it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 02:11 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,337,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Because I DON'T want to have communion become a ritual that we mindlessly obey every single week in hopes of it making us holy?

Really now?!
So taking communion too often makes it a mindless ritual?

Could that be your personal experience?

Why is it ok once Month and not once a week?

Old 12-31-2013, 02:28 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,527,767 times
Is Jesus omnipresent in his human nature or his divine nature?

Old 12-31-2013, 02:45 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,948,525 times
Quote:
Because I DON'T want to have communion become a ritual that we mindlessly obey every single week in hopes of it making us holy?

Really now?!
I don't see how the frequency of it makes is either more or less holy. In my church, we receive it weekly. As a matter of fact, everything else in the worship service is of less importance than communion. I see it as a time when I can renew my commitment to Jesus Christ by focusing on His Atonement. Sure, it's possible to do that every day, but I see the reenactment of the Lord's Supper as a means by which our focus on Him is continually maintained. Four times year just doesn't seem like enough for me. I guess to me it's kind of the same thing as suggesting that praying less frequently would make our prayers more sincere than if we were to pray daily.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Isnt the whole point of communion as well to examine yourself in how you are living also. IF you have anger or resentment towards someone, you should not be taking communion until you have a clear heart.
That ties in very closely to what I believe.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I don't see how the frequency of it makes is either more or less holy. In my church, we receive it weekly. As a matter of fact, everything else in the worship service is of less importance than communion. I see it as a time when I can renew my commitment to Jesus Christ by focusing on His Atonement. Sure, it's possible to do that every day, but I see the reenactment of the Lord's Supper as a means by which our focus on Him is continually maintained. Four times year just doesn't seem like enough for me. I guess to me it's kind of the same thing as suggesting that praying less frequently would make our prayers more sincere than if we were to pray daily.
Once again----magnificent words! Clear and to the point!

Honestly, I think some churches don't want to copy the Catholic Church. It is that simple! As Vizio imples: "we just want to do our own thing and be different".

Old 01-03-2014, 10:28 AM

20,439 posts, read 12,781,890 times
About 5 times per year. Once a quarter, and at Thanksgiving. I belong to a large Southern Baptist church.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:59 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,184,745 times
Quote:
I have personally been in churches where we partook weekly. Due to the familiarity, it tended to get taken lightly by me and others. That's just my experience. If you have experienced otherwise, good on you for maintaining that.

I didn't say we only take it 4 times a year---we do it monthly in my church. So it's 12 times a year.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I have personally been in churches where we partook weekly. Due to the familiarity, it tended to get taken lightly by me and others. That's just my experience. If you have experienced otherwise, good on you for maintaining that.

I didn't say we only take it 4 times a year---we do it monthly in my church. So it's 12 times a year.
Sorry, I guess I got your post mixed up with someone elses. So do you believe it's up to each pastor to decide for his congregation?

Old 01-03-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I guess I got your post mixed up with someone elses. So do you believe it's up to each pastor to decide for his congregation?
Some of these churches make up the rules as they go. I cannot say it is right or wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity