U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-14-2014, 02:38 PM
 
47,035 posts, read 29,894,751 times
Reputation: 6549

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Hogwash.
Nothing highlights the flaws in our education system more starkly than the number of otherwise sane and intelligent people who take the Bible stories literally.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 01-14-2014, 02:41 PM
 
7,401 posts, read 5,396,589 times
Reputation: 6569
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Nothing highlights the flaws in our education system more starkly than the number of otherwise sane and intelligent people who take the Bible stories literally.
What the...? This is a Christian forum where Christians discuss Christianity. If you don't like it, make a thread in the Atheist form about how dumb Christians are, we don't care! But here, we like to discuss Biblical TRUTHS.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-14-2014, 02:51 PM
 
47,035 posts, read 29,894,751 times
Reputation: 6549
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
What the...? This is a Christian forum where Christians discuss Christianity. If you don't like it, make a thread in the Atheist form about how dumb Christians are, we don't care! But here, we like to discuss Biblical TRUTHS.
I am a Christian and NOTHING in Christinaity requires belief that everything in the Bible is literal. This is a false doctrine that was created because of a fear that if everything in the Bible is NOT literal truth then none of it could be. That is the judgment of men . . . not God.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-14-2014, 02:57 PM
 
7,401 posts, read 5,396,589 times
Reputation: 6569
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I am a Christian and NOTHING in Christinaity requires belief that everything in the Bible is literal. This is a false doctrine that was created because of a fear that if everything in the Bible is NOT literal truth then none of it could be. That is the judgment of men . . . not God.
I disagree. I'm also a Bible literalist and it doesn't mean I deserve to be called stupid or uneducated. This is the point I'm making.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-14-2014, 03:01 PM
 
7,401 posts, read 5,396,589 times
Reputation: 6569
It's hard to distinguish Christians from Atheists anymore. To think someone actually comes into a thread for the primary purpose to toss the same insult any atheist would, and then call themselves a Christian?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-14-2014, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Leeds, England
591 posts, read 769,197 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
You said Jesus never existed. Yet you say those ancient Philosophers existed.
Yes, there is no evidence to support the claim Jesus existed, yet there are various that prove those philosophers existed, left work, and are historic fact. Again, Jesus has no evidence bar the Bible.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
That's a bunch of balogna that the only sources we have is the Bible.
Don't just call it 'balogna', give me sources, give me facts, give me proof outside of the Bible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
The very earliest church fathers who were friends with some of the disciples wrote also about Christ.
'Church fathers' being the key words here! Please provide evidence these 'works' exist. I'm sure if this was true, they would be well documented, wouldn't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
This isn't about "is there a God" but you said Jesus never existed. That is what this is about between you and me. It is not about whether those philosophers believed in God but rather if they existed at all.
Right, you've lost me completely. I don't believe the claim Jesus existed, through points already mentioned. However, I know those philosophers did. How? Evidence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
If Jesus never existed then neither did they. All their writings were just made up if what you are saying about Jesus is so.
You need to understand the basics here. I have never claimed or asserted that those philosophers didn't exist, it would be foolish of me too. Yet they had there writings etc that have never been proven to be correct. In fact, there is no writings, no mention from any philosopher, historian or anyone else during the Roman times. This is fact. If you mention Josephus, be ready for a swift response.

Yet, you seem to be under the impression if those who wrote of Jesus were real, Jesus must be? What a strange statement to make! That like saying the Pope writes about Jesus, yet Jesus isn't real so the Pope isn't either.

This is religion:




This is faith: (Which you have in your God/Jesus, you have no facts)



And this is how facts are constructed: (Please present yours)

Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-14-2014, 03:04 PM
 
47,035 posts, read 29,894,751 times
Reputation: 6549
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I disagree. I'm also a Bible literalist and it doesn't mean I deserve to be called stupid or uneducated. This is the point I'm making.
I called no one stupid . . . I said "otherwise sane and intelligent."
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-14-2014, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Leeds, England
591 posts, read 769,197 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
What the...? This is a Christian forum where Christians discuss Christianity. If you don't like it, make a thread in the Atheist form about how dumb Christians are, we don't care! But here, we like to discuss Biblical TRUTHS.
Truth? Please see the last image in my post above! Your thinking of what truth is, is astoundingly wrong.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-14-2014, 03:12 PM
 
47,035 posts, read 29,894,751 times
Reputation: 6549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Matt View Post
Truth? Please see the last image in my post above! Your thinking of what truth is, is astoundingly wrong.
It is an excellent post . . . but you are confronting someone for whom Truth is not a question of fact. It is a question of whether or not it can be found in or interpreted to be in the Bible. This is a very different approach to Truth. It is not unique to Christians. A similar Truth would be found in Islam except it would be the Quran.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 01-14-2014 at 04:02 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-14-2014, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Leeds, England
591 posts, read 769,197 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is an excellent post . . . but you are confronting someone for whom Truth is not a question of fact. It is a question of whether or not it can be found in or interpreted to be in the Bible. This is a very different approach to Truth. It is unique to Christians. A similar Truth would be found in Islam except it would be the Quran.
This I understand. They fail to accept any evidence, no matter how substantial the volume the of the evidence and the quality (Not sure that's the right word, I'm drawing blanks) of the evidence provided.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top