Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 03:39 PM

484 posts, read 882,731 times

Advertisements

Here's something that is confusing to me; however, note that I'm aware this does NOT apply to all Christians. To Christians who argue in favor of the creation theory by saying "God's days are not necessarily the same as ours," doesn't this nullify the purpose of "keeping the sabbath holy?" If he didn't create the Earth in six twenty-four hour days then what is the significance of the sabbath being observed once a week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 04:24 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,528,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
Here's something that is confusing to me; however, note that I'm aware this does NOT apply to all Christians. To Christians who argue in favor of the creation theory by saying "God's days are not necessarily the same as ours," doesn't this nullify the purpose of "keeping the sabbath holy?" If he didn't create the Earth in six twenty-four hour days then what is the significance of the sabbath being observed once a week?
Have to admit, never once has associating the day-age theory with the Sabbath occurred to me. Any day-agers out there know the answer?

Exodus 20:8-11: Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, But the seventh day is the sabbath (rest) of the Lord your God. In it you shall not do any work... For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them and rested on the seventh day...

Would need to read something like; "Work for six days and rest on the seventh, because God worked for six billion years and is now resting during the seventh billion-year period."

Last edited by Cephas40; 01-16-2014 at 04:37 PM..

Old 01-16-2014, 04:33 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorALly View Post
Have to admit, never once has associating the day-age theory with the Sabbath occurred to me. Any day-agers out there know the answer?
I've always used that as an argument against the Day-Age theory. The Hebrew word for "day", if we interpret it to mean a long period of time, is not used like that in the same way elsewhere in the OT.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:38 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,528,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I've always used that as an argument against the Day-Age theory. The Hebrew word for "day", if we interpret it to mean a long period of time, is not used like that in the same way elsewhere in the OT.
Ditto, bro.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:05 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,480 times
I keep the Sabbath every day, I've entered into God's rest.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:10 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
I keep the Sabbath every day, I've entered into God's rest.
Yep, mans sabbath and God's are not the same.

God's was a rest from His creative works and man's was only applicable to Israel and those under the law and was not given to man prior to the Exodus. No direct relation to a 24 hour day at all. Plus in Genesis 1 and 2 we see day used of an indefinite period such as:

KJV KJV Genesis 2:1
4 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,

Not a 24 hour day and of no specific length.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:13 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,480 times
Guess I'm glad I've been in God's rest longer than 24hrs then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity