Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 06:35 AM

584 posts, read 871,657 times

Advertisements

help me to understand why a christian women would suffer and die of illnesses. my friend was a christian who ministered to people always kind and kept a positive attitude. for any crisis she always put her faith in god and believed he would help. now she is dead from a heart attack. here is her story.
new years day she had a stroke in her church, then 1 week later another stroke while in the hospital, then a few days later her 1st heart attack, 4 days later another heart attack, then she dies 3 days later. she was suppose to have a stent put in the same day of her death, but she died.
help me understand before i lose all faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 06:39 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
She is human, humans die.
God does not promise everlasting human life
God promises life everlasting with him which is not human life.
Her body was sick and she died just like everyone else is going to die one day.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
She is human, humans die.
God does not promise everlasting human life
God promises life everlasting with him which is not human life.
Her body was sick and she died just like everyone else is going to die one day.
"help me to understand why a christian women would suffer and die of illnesses".

Old 01-28-2014, 07:08 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,528,439 times
Equal-Opp, I don't think there is an answer that we can give that is 100% knowing of why God allows apparent suffering like this to happen. It is often during situations such as these that our faith is put to the test. Though the temptation and natural response is like you said, to "lose all faith," this is instead to draw closer to God for peace and comfort during this difficult time. Rest assured that although your Christian friend's death was uneasy, she now rejoices in His presence.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:48 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equal-Opp. View Post
help me to understand why a christian women would suffer and die of illnesses. my friend was a christian who ministered to people always kind and kept a positive attitude. for any crisis she always put her faith in god and believed he would help. now she is dead from a heart attack. here is her story.
new years day she had a stroke in her church, then 1 week later another stroke while in the hospital, then a few days later her 1st heart attack, 4 days later another heart attack, then she dies 3 days later. she was suppose to have a stent put in the same day of her death, but she died.
help me understand before i lose all faith.
This world is a sinful place, and we are seeing the effects of sin on the human race. God never promised us that we would never get sick, bad things would happen, or that we'd die. Most of the early apostles died violent deaths, even. God is in control, though. Life on earth here is a short time in comparison to eternity, and he demonstrated in Biblical times that he would work through bad circumstances to further his kingdom.

On another note...you ask why bad things happen to good people? I would ask you....why do you think good things happen to bad people?

Old 01-28-2014, 10:03 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Even the apostle Paul had physical problems as did Timothy and Epaphroditus. God gives grace sufficient for the infirmities.

We have not put on immortality YET. When Christ returns we will have immortality. Until then, we die because we still have death operating in us (see Romans 5:12).

Old 01-28-2014, 10:30 AM

On another note...you ask why bad things happen to good people? I would ask you....why do you think good things happen to bad people?[/quote]
that is another mystery that bothers me

Old 01-28-2014, 11:53 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,528,439 times
Quote:
On another note...you ask why bad things happen to good people? I would ask you....why do you think good things happen to bad people?
that is another mystery that bothers me[/quote]
Read the story of Asaph in Psalm 73.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:37 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,963,384 times
Quote:
that is another mystery that bothers me[/quote]

Asaph in Psalm 73 also wondered

He observed the prosperity of the wicked in verses 3, 12
He also observed that the wicked were on slippery ground - verse 18
and the wicked were in line for perishing / being destroyed - verse 27

King Solomon, known for having God-given wisdom, wrote at Ecclesiastes 9 v 11 that time and unexpected events can overtake anyone.
Like the people at the tower of Siloam mentioned at Luke 13 vs 4,5 just wrong place, wrong time.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:06 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,780 times
When we become omnipresent we will understand such things. Until then, there are mysteries in this life we are not meant to understand.

My personal belief is - when it's your time, it's your time. Don't worry about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity