U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2014, 05:17 PM

1,639 posts, read 1,168,612 times

Advertisements

Jesus told the disciples to wait in Jerusalem until they received power, presumably of course from the Holy Spirit. He then told them after that, they would be witnesses of Him to the whole world. I take from this that the number one evidence of God's existence, are miracles. Jesus taught and did miracles to prove who He was. The disciples did the same. Of course all of it was through the Holy Spirit, even Jesus did what He did by the power of the Spirit. (As He was fully man, and laid down His attributes. This shows us that Jesus is our ultimate example)

Now today, we'd be lying if we said miracles are going down today like they went down in Jesus' time and during the birth of the church as mentioned in the book of Acts. Yet lying isn't the problem. I think what is going down today would be worse in a way. I think overall, we don't expect miracles. Not the speaking and going around healing everyone type miracles. Yet as I said, there's great reason to say miracles are the number one evidence for God.

I've heard most christians say people would come to God based on how we lived, and I agree with that to an extent. Yet how we live our lives, for it to be an evidence for God, should exceed what is humanly possible. There are gazillions of people who are not chrisitan, who are the nicest people in the world for lack of a better word. Is being nice an evidence for God? Then how would you explain people being able to be nice, without God's power? So all around, in order to be a full witness of God, His power has to be on display. Any thoughts on this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 06:53 PM

1,639 posts, read 1,168,612 times
Some have said in the past that the age of miracles is now past. That it was only there to get the church started. Yet if we needed miracles to get the church started, we would also need them to keep it going. Look at Peter and Paul. Just two of some of those early church fathers who came to believe on Christ through miracles. I'd argue everyone of Jesus' original disciples came to faith through miracles. Of course when I say miracle, I'm not just talking about healings or stopping a storm, but how Jesus taught and treated people. Again the way Jesus treated others went above and beyond human possibility. I've heard either Richard Dawkins or Christopher Hitchens once talk about how Jesus' teaching of loving your enemy as being nonsensical. (In a "how can you do that" way, though I'm paraphrasing) I mean you could help your enemy if he was in trouble, in kind of a "I'm not like you" way. Yet to love him, possibly as if they were your own family member? Even if they don't return that love?

Everyone would agree you would need power for that, which would be an evidence for God. So miracles can be how you treat someone, but it goes above and beyond human strength. There's a couple of verses where Paul emphasized miracles. He said that he didn't come to the people with persuasive words but in demonstration of God's power. (1 Corinthians 2:4)

So what are some of your thoughts? Are we too relaxed in this world without miracles? Now I can say God has done a lot for me, including healing me. My dad at times deal with kidney stones. There was one time where the pain was particularly excruciating for him. So he decided to pray in tongues, and just like that, the pain stopped. Yet for miracles like this, it could be explained away. The doctor told my dad it's only when kidney stones are moving that you feel the pain. So it could be while my father was praying, the stone just stopped moving. Coincidence. Yet the kind of miracles mentioned in the Gospels can't be explained away, and I haven't experienced anything like that so far.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity