U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 10:31 AM

32 posts, read 25,108 times

Advertisements

Eastern Orthordoxy is not "catholic" it's the oldest form of Christinanity around. My grandfather was EO and very devout.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 11:17 AM

1,566 posts, read 1,025,286 times
as far as I know the term "catholic" means simply "universal" referring to the true ("orthodox") faith traditionally held by all believers and generally used by both east and west until the "great schism" of around 1050. to a degree in technical terms both terms are still in use by BOTH eastern and western Christians and it only relatively recently that the term Catholic became a "brand name" for those Christians (including both western and eastern rites) who accept the primacy of the Pope and likewise the name (eastern) Orthodox used for those Christians who while accepting most all the same beliefs (apostolic succession, the creeds, veneration of the Theotokos (Mary) and saints, the same sacraments/holy mysteries administered by and through the Church as effective means of grace---and most especially the Holy Eucharist as containing the true and objectively real body and blood of Christ under the appearance of bread and wine) do NOT accept the Pope's primacy (instead, some Orthodox scholars are willing to accord the "bishop of Rome" the honor of being "first among equals" with the other traditional patriarchs of the Christian world---Constantinople, Moscow, Antioch, Alexandria, etc..

resolution of the disputes and differences separating "Catholic" and "Orthodox" and establishing full communion with all the various jurisdictions is a goal that all Christians from both sides should hope and pray for.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:34 AM

18 posts, read 20,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami HurricaneZ View Post
Congratulations! I've always admired Orthodoxy. I would be Eastern Orthodox if the nearest church wasn't 90 miles away . I will stay Anglican until I move to an area w/ an EO church.
If you know Orthodoxy is the true faith you cannot in good conscience stay in the Anglican Church, regardless of how far away the nearest Orthodox parish is. If you are unable to attend Divine Liturgy you can listen to it on ancient faith radio, or find a live podcast of the liturgy which there are many. That will serve you better spiritually than staying within a heretical church. I would recommend reaching out to the local Orthodox priest in your area, talk to him about your desire to become Orthodox and he will be able to provide you with the needed spiritual advice.

My first priest was a monk in NY, and I live in CA. Distance is no object. Good luck on your journey!

Old 02-07-2017, 01:43 PM

15,773 posts, read 4,117,859 times
I found Orthodoxy refreshing, and at the same time challenging.

Once I learned about it -without filters- I realized I had pretty much been Orthodox in my heart most of my life. It was a liberating discovery.

Living in this world as an Orthodox Christian is very challenging. I can not say that I set a truly good example. I struggle with it.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:23 PM

1,566 posts, read 1,025,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post

Once I learned about it -without filters- I realized I had pretty much been Orthodox in my heart most of my life. It was a liberating discovery.

Living in this world as an Orthodox Christian is very challenging. I can not say that I set a truly good example. I struggle with it.
one might say that "living in the world.... is very challenging" for ALL Christians whether they are Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant, on anything else. we are all called to conform our lives to that of Christ, to take up our cross and follow Him, so as to live our lives in love and service to God and our neighbor and striving to forgive others as we have been forgiven---often very difficult indeed because it is so often against our "fallen" human will and "wounded" nature and the way of the world in general to do those kind of things.

sadly, because we can still sin we are all guilty of all too often not setting "a truly good example" and we ALL "struggle with it" but thanks to the love and mercy of God, the Christian Church is not only a "school for saints" but a "hospital for sinners" and if (and when) we fall and fail with God's grace (manifested in the Sacraments of the Church among various other ways) we can still get up, take up our cross again, and continue on the path that leads to our heavenly home with God, His angels, and His saints.

in the peace of Christ.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 02-07-2017 at 02:53 PM..

Old 02-08-2017, 03:45 AM

214 posts, read 120,501 times
Serbian orthodox music in Church Slavonic language https://youtu.be/NwMBe6-A6dM

Old 02-08-2017, 11:31 AM

2,259 posts, read 1,627,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serbo makeridov View Post
Serbian orthodox music in Church Slavonic language https://youtu.be/NwMBe6-A6dM
I love this one brother. This Psalm is so great in different languages (greek, serbian, arabic etc).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MkA1UeHi_4

Old 02-08-2017, 11:33 AM

2,259 posts, read 1,627,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post

Welcome back to home our brother! Our Church is so spiritual with rich Tradition and history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity