Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 02:12 AM

27 posts, read 39,090 times

Advertisements

I felt like starting an Orthodox thread here (I couldn't find one).

I'll start off by saying I'm a convert from Roman Catholicism, was received on Christmas' Eve 2011. My patron saint is St. Olav and I've only ever regularly attended my OCA parish (although I regularly visit Greek, Antiochian, and Russian parishes).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 05:20 AM

675 posts, read 1,699,682 times
Cool! I was just thinking about the Orthodox church - in another post I was thinking of churches which share the same liturgy on the same schedule and almost included the Orthodox church but remembered the calendar is different. I'm RC but have several Greek & Russian Orthodox friends and always felt an affinity for the church. Would love to hear more about your faith journey!

Old 03-06-2014, 05:51 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,331,019 times
FWIW, there are also "Eastern Catholics" who have essentially the same ritual and prayers as the Orthodox but are in communion with the Pope and are "equal" members of the Roman Catholic Church along with the more common "latin rite" members.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:01 PM

18 posts, read 23,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseauhill1990 View Post
I felt like starting an Orthodox thread here (I couldn't find one).

I'll start off by saying I'm a convert from Roman Catholicism, was received on Christmas' Eve 2011. My patron saint is St. Olav and I've only ever regularly attended my OCA parish (although I regularly visit Greek, Antiochian, and Russian parishes).
I'm also a convert from Catholicism. I came from the Byzantine (Uniate) Catholic Church. I was baptized Orthodox in 2004. My patron is Saint Nektarios of Pentanopolis.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:18 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
What I like about the church is that they believe in tradition and have high esteem for the Mother of God.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:00 PM

124 posts, read 97,797 times
My favorite thing about the church is that it's traditional, has high esteem for the scriptures and doesn't stray much if at all from how they were understood by the earliest Christians, and yet we aren't bible-thumping science rejecting fundamentalists, I'm a convert from protestantism which sadly is drawn to one extreme or the other, either so fundamentalist and legalistic that they stifle rather than foster the soul, or so liberal that they can hardly be called a bible-believing church any-longer, not saying that they're all that bad, but that's what I saw growing up... I love this church, I was recieved into my local ROCOR parish in February 2012

Old 06-04-2015, 06:42 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahOrBust994 View Post
My favorite thing about the church is that it's traditional, has high esteem for the scriptures and doesn't stray much if at all from how they were understood by the earliest Christians, and yet we aren't bible-thumping science rejecting fundamentalists, I'm a convert from protestantism which sadly is drawn to one extreme or the other, either so fundamentalist and legalistic that they stifle rather than foster the soul, or so liberal that they can hardly be called a bible-believing church any-longer, not saying that they're all that bad, but that's what I saw growing up... I love this church, I was recieved into my local ROCOR parish in February 2012
It is an eye opener to go from Sola Scriptura to a Church like yours. I congratulate you!

Old 06-04-2015, 07:13 PM

124 posts, read 97,797 times
Thank you, I will admit it was difficult at first and to some degree remains so, because one downside to a cultural parish is that if you are not of that culture or ethnicity it can be difficult to fit in, plus my mother still acts as if I betrayed her personally when I left the United Methodist Church. The other ladies at my Grandmother's Baptist church harass her for failing as a grandparent because I've now become a "Idol-worshiper" in their eyes... *sighs* but it's still the best decision I've ever made, I don't care what they think... mostly because the don't really know what they're talking about

Old 06-07-2015, 12:40 AM

121 posts, read 84,778 times
I'm a convert as well my Patron saint is Patrick of Ireland. I was originally raised Anglican and I spent some time as agnostic then started learning more about Orthodoxy when I studied the Russian language and culture.
I had some idea growing up as my dad was Catholic and grew up in Ohio near Cleveland.
As a historian I rejected western Christianity as there were way to many reforms and it was shaped by the fall of Rome and the chaos of the dark ages aka early Medieval period.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:22 AM

134 posts, read 239,155 times
Congratulations! I've always admired Orthodoxy. I would be Eastern Orthodox if the nearest church wasn't 90 miles away . I will stay Anglican until I move to an area w/ an EO church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity