Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 02:42 PM

16,660 posts, read 15,651,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
I copy/pasted the definition of the word 'slave' because I figured that had more authority than just 'my word' for something. However apparently some one thinks I should have given my own opinion on the subject so here goes...

There were cases where Hebrew/Isralite ppl needed help from a fellow countryman and so they 'served' this person for 6 years and could, if they wanted to, be set free in the 7th year. They were not allowed to keep a Isralite person as a bondman indefinitely, because they were to remember they were once bondmen in Egypt. Or in other words a Hebrew was to lend his services, to repay a debt, and not be considered/treated as a slave. [treated with dignity].

True slaves were 'gentiles' who were acquired/sold in the pagan world. These are the ones spoken of in Lev. 25:44-46.
Are you really saying the because they were gentiles it was OK for them to be bought and sold as slaves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 02:43 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,132,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
hmmm....i think what you're doing is the 'definition' of justifying slavery...
Im not and I honestly dont think they were slaves back then. I think the word slave was more than likely added on by man to use the bible to justify slavery. If anythng they were more servants than they were slave, because it seems they were treated better than slaves are. No slaves are allowed to go free after 7 years now.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:53 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,989,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Are you really saying the because they were gentiles it was OK for them to be bought and sold as slaves?
No, of course not. I'm saying the word 'slave' would have only been applied to the ppl bought and sold in the pagan world, and because of this Moses wrote laws concerning them.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:04 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,891,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
If the bible is the word of god, how does a bible believer justify the idea of owning slaves and defining the appropriate punishment if your slave is a little bad, versus very bad.
Thinking-man, if you are really curious how people can take the OT seriously, you might want to post some questions in the Judaism forum. There are two Orthodox Jews who post there often and you might find their posts very interesting. I certainly have.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:06 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,727,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Thinking-man, if you are really curious how people can take the OT seriously, you might want to post some questions in the Judaism forum. There are two Orthodox Jews who post there often and you might find their posts very interesting. I certainly have.
FYI: IF you do, use either Torah or Tanakh and not even mention OT.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:22 PM

758 posts, read 847,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Your quote is from the Old Testament. The Old Testament laws and rules don't apply anymore. Those laws were for the Jewish nation of Israel. That nation ended in 586BC. New Testament is the primary book by which Christians live their lives and worship God.
1.THOU SHALT HAVE NO OTHER GODS BEFORE ME.

2.Remember.. the Sabbath Keep it holy! Since when doesn't that apply anymore?

3.THOU SHALT NOT TAKE THE NAME OF THE LORD, THY GOD, IN VAIN.

Thank you very much for showing me (us ) these laws were only for the Jews!

Old 03-06-2014, 05:33 PM

9,688 posts, read 10,006,521 times
Slavery was the works of the flesh of men who claim people as possessions , and this in the bible was an old culture which is not acceptable to modern man , And this modern man has be slowly eroding into a post modern time as sin corrupts the best of ideas ,................ Like you see the investors of this post modern time would prefer the revive the slavery economic system and pay people nothing for their Works in the labor system and even governments lean toward taking the pay away for their economic gain If they could ................. See Just because people are lean toward the corrupt nature of the world , does not mean that The Living God through Lord Jesus supports to corrupt nature of economic slavery today or the past

Old 03-06-2014, 05:59 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,527,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Tying into that; Anti-slavery activist William Wilberforce: Christian hero - creation.com

Old 03-06-2014, 06:05 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atkutuq View Post
I would have to listen to the words of John Newton (A slave) as he sang them.

Amazing Grace... how sweet the sound; that saved a wretch like me.

John Newton was the slave of a slave(trader). He was abused for 20 years;

Nobody explains it better than he does (the voice of experience)!!

John Newton was also a participant in the slave trade before and after his conversion.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:25 PM

758 posts, read 847,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
John Newton was also a participant in the slave trade before and after his conversion.

Does that add ? or take away from the magnificent beauty & truth of his song?

Yeah John Newton was one of them: "sinners"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity