Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 02:28 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,887,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You may good points, but Paul did not get the keys.
Matthew 16:18-19 I, also, am saying to you that you are Peter, and on this rock will I be building My
ecclesia, and the gates of the unseen shall not be prevailing against it. (19) I will be giving you the keys of
the kingdom of the heavens, and whatsoever you should be binding on the earth shall be those things
having been bound in the heavens, and whatsoever you should be loosing on the earth, shall be those
having been loosed in the heavens."

The giving of the keys is yet future. It is in the future tense.

And just why would Jesus be giving Paul the keys to the kingdom of the heavens He is going to be setting up on earth when He returns? Paul will not be on the earth during that time. He, along with those of the uncircumcision will be among the heavens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 02:32 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,981,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You may good points, but Paul did not get the keys.
Again...Christ gave the keys to 'ye' [plural prononun ]apostles' and that would include Paul.

Ro 1:1 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,
1Co 1:1 Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother,
2Co 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, unto the church of God which is at Corinth, with all the saints which are in all Achaia:
Ga 1:1 Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead)
Eph 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus:
Col 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timotheus our brother,
1Ti 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the commandment of God our Saviour, and Lord Jesus Christ, which is our hope;
2Ti 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus,
Tit 1:1 Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God’s elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;

ETA: Rev. 3:7 plainly says Christ has the key to the kingdom of God.NO MAN had or has that authority.

Matthew:16:19 means His apostles had authority to represent Him! They were to teach what He taught them; helping ppl to enter the Kingdom of God.

Christ still lends His authority to His true ministers today to do the same work.

Last edited by mshipmate; 03-24-2014 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: include Scriptures.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh
...snip...
Jesus said,"the way is narrow and few there be that find it. " He wasn't kidding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
He was misquoted.
Friend, please prove that which you assert above.

Matthew 7:12-14 then, whatever you should be wanting that men should be doing to you, thus you, also,
be doing to them, for this is the law and the prophets. (13) Enter through the cramped gate, for broad is the
gate and spacious is the way which is leading away into destruction, and many are those entering through
it. (14) what a cramped gate and narrowed way is the one leading away into life, and few are those who
are finding it.

The problem is that people pull quotes out of their original context. Jesus was talking about the law and prophets and entrance into the kingdom to be set up on the earth. Very few find the way into that kingdom via the law.

Under grace the way is very broad. It is not constricted.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
Again...Christ gave the keys to 'ye' [plural prononun ]apostles' and that would include Paul.
My Greek texts have it as a singular "you" for "giving you the keys." "you" is singular and "keys" is plural.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
My Greek texts have it as a singular "you" for "giving you the keys." "you" is singular and "keys" is plural.
Ye, [you] is a plural noun in related verses where the Gr. for the pronoun "you" is plural ("ye" in the King James Version).

When Christ spoke to ppl He wasn't speaking to just one person. Here's a few examples:

Mt 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Mt 12:36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

Mt 20:4 And said unto them; Go ye also into the vineyard, and whatsoever is right I will give you. And they went their way.

Mt 26:15 And said unto them, What will ye give me, and I will deliver him unto you? And they covenanted with him for thirty pieces of silver.

Mr 9:41 For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:55 PM

63,461 posts, read 39,726,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
No, a woman would not make a good substitute. The Church body/we are called the bride of Christ so if a woman was the head/Pope or a priest than it would be like a gay marriage and we know what the bible says about gay marriages. Sorry that is how God set it up so not much men can do about that.
God chose the time and His son to come to earth for our salvation.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:00 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,832,457 times
Quote:
Ye, [you] is a plural noun when Christ spoke to a group of ppl.

When Christ spoke to ppl He wasn't speaking to just one person. Here's a few examples:
The point Eusebius was making is that the closest manuscripts we have are in Greek and they use the second person singular (you=1 person). We are not talking about an English translation. By the way you can look up the verse in Greek with an analysis of the forms of the words on http://biblehub.com/text/matthew/16-19.htm

Old 03-24-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
No, a woman would not make a good substitute. The Church body/we are called the bride of Christ so if a woman was the head/Pope or a priest than it would be like a gay marriage and we know what the bible says about gay marriages. Sorry that is how God set it up so not much men can do about that.

God chose the time and His son to come to earth for our salvation.
Quote:
it would be like a gay marriage
The "Bride of Christ" includes men also!!!

Old 03-24-2014, 03:08 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,832,457 times
Quote:
The "Bride of Christ" includes men also!!!
And I personally don't see priests as representing Christ......and I don't like some of the implications there either.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:24 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,267,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'll use small words:

I don't believe the anonymous men who say they wrote god's words in the bible for the same reason you wouldn't believe me if I said god spoke to me.

Got it now?
Who do we believe then?

Can't be just ourselves as such "revelations" are in conflict with other "revelations" of some. How do we test it, since our own revelation would NOT be enough?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity