U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 10:14 PM

296 posts, read 212,168 times

Advertisements

If you believe this, why?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 11:18 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,809,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel A. Pettinicchio View Post

Because 34 yrs. ago I only knew of God. Oh I believed He existed, that Christ came and died, etc etc. and that the Bible was God's word[s] to man, but I didn't 'know' God. I just thought He was 'out there somewhere' and maybe one day, when I was old and gray-haired, I might somehow get to 'know' him too. [As the elders in my church did].

Then one day, a lady from church invited me to her Bible Study. I took my Bible down from the shelf, dusted if off and headed to her house. She explained that each person [sitting around the table] took a turn reading a few verses at a time and then we'd discuss what was read and see if anyone had any questions, etc.

They were studying 1 Corin.3 that day I joined them, and as as the lady across from me read out loud, vv. 16, 17 those 2 verses became bold and black and literally jumped off the page. Thinking this same thing had happened to everyone, I looked up fully expecting some very lively discussion. However to my surprise no one else seemed to notice anything unusual as the same lady continued to read as the others followed along....

I thought for a few seconds and then it hit me. The God of the Universe, who was 'just out there somewhere' had just spoken to me! I know in my heart I was regeneraed at that moment, It was the act of God awakening spiritual life within me!

Long story short, I began to attend every week from then on and one day our leader gave us each a challenge. She said, "If you will read the whole book of John from beginning to end I am certain you will never put the Bible down again." I took her up on her challenge, and not only did I read it daily ever since, God began to 'speak' to me from the pages of His Book.

One of the first things was John 8:32
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

Then one day I ask God to give me an insatiable desire for His Word, He did and that was just the beginning....

Old 03-24-2014, 12:28 AM

296 posts, read 212,168 times
That's a beautiful journey you are on, midshipmate. I would agree that the Bible is an extremely important way to learn about God.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:32 AM
Zur

949 posts, read 734,458 times
As prayer is the spiritual breath of a Christian, so the word of God (bible) is the spiritual food, which is necessary for growth. Jesus said that His words will not pass away, so they are eternal. They do not change, they are alive (Col 3:16). They are therefore truth and without this authority there is no truth. God holds us responsible as we tread His word. There is no revelation from God that is contrary to the word of God. To interpret the word of God rightly we need revelation through the Holy Spirit. The carnal mind cannot or will not understand, because God's thoughts are higher, humans will never reach, but the pride of men nevertheless has produced many doctrines, which cannot be true.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:05 AM

11,826 posts, read 11,250,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel A. Pettinicchio View Post
Because the OT points to Christ alone
Luke 24:27
And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself.
Because only scriptures do we learn
Galatians 3:8
Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: “All nations will be blessed through you.”
Because only through these scriptures do we learn:
2 Timothy 3:16
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,
Because it identifies false prophecies \ prophets and the ignorant and unstable people who distort scriptures
2 Peter 1:20
Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things.

2 Peter 3:16 He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.

And because in them we find the true Gospel
John 20:31 But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name

Romans 1:16-17 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile.

For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed—a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.”

Old 03-24-2014, 11:13 AM

17,071 posts, read 9,333,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
They were studying 1 Corin.3 that day I joined them, and as as the lady across from me read out loud, vv. 16, 17 those 2 verses became bold and black and literally jumped off the page. Thinking this same thing had happened to everyone, I looked up fully expecting some very lively discussion. However to my surprise no one else seemed to notice anything unusual as the same lady continued to read as the others followed along....

I thought for a few seconds and then it hit me. The God of the Universe, who was 'just out there somewhere' had just spoken to me! I know in my heart I was regeneraed at that moment, It was the act of God awakening spiritual life within me!

So, in this instance, the means was the Bible.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:20 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,338,944 times
Because there is no other authority. As Jesus pointed out to the Pharisees, tradition is subject to the Word of God. Since this was what Christ taught, it is what I believe.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:45 PM

12,028 posts, read 8,145,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Al View Post
Because there is no other authority. As Jesus pointed out to the Pharisees, tradition is subject to the Word of God. Since this was what Christ taught, it is what I believe.
I wonder how the the second and 3rd generation church fathers coped.

2 Thessalonians 2:14-15

14 It was for this He called you through our gospel, [a]that you may gain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. 15 So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught, whether by word of mouth or by letter from us.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:57 PM

34,930 posts, read 24,364,820 times
Jesus never taught it. He said things like "if any man thirst let him come to me and drink", notice he was not pointing you to a bible. He also said they that believe, from within them would flow rivers of living water. Unfortunately many of us are more concerned about proving how what they believe is right or vainly trying to prove that the bible is the inerrant word of God, rather than seeking out and discover the living water contained within the person we really are,something worth leaving all behind to realize it, and know it.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:02 PM

18,173 posts, read 13,672,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I wonder how the the second and 3rd generation church fathers coped.

2 Thessalonians 2:14-15

14 It was for this He called you through our gospel, [a]that you may gain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. 15 So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught, whether by word of mouth or by letter from us.
OK, what Traditions did Paul teach or the other inspired writers.

Paul did not say later traditions, after their death, were of any value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity