Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should churches hold Easter Egg Hunts
YES 34 66.67%
NO 17 33.33%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 12:22 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,077,669 times

Advertisements

I know many churches innocently do Easter egg hunts for the kiddies, but have they ever once thought how that it has ZERO to do with Jesus.

Seriously, an egg laying rabbit full of colorful candy!!!

An Egg laying rabbit is completely pagan in its roots and has zero to do with the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus. There is nothing in the Bible or Christian tradition that links the two together, yet many churchs continue to do Easter egg hunts.

Some Churches really need to do better and know why they do what they do and it origins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 12:55 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,814,181 times
So What? Does every tradition associated with what is really a cultural holiday have to do with a religious message?

Old 03-25-2014, 01:05 PM

54 posts, read 58,155 times
Doesn't easter eggs symbolize the Amanita Muscaria mushroom?

Old 03-25-2014, 01:17 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,266,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I know many churches innocently do Easter egg hunts for the kiddies, but have they ever once thought how that it has ZERO to do with Jesus.

An Egg laying rabbit is completely pagan in its roots and has zero to do with the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus. There is nothing in the Bible or Christian tradition that links the two together, yet many churchs continue to do Easter egg hunts.

Some Churches really need to do better and know why they do what they do and it origins.

By definition a Christian is not a pagan. This is a harmless activity for kids. ReallY???? Who cares?????

You vastly misunderstand the Bible on pagan rituals. To do a pagan ritual one needs to be a pagan. Christians are not pagan.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
So What? Does every tradition associated with what is really a cultural holiday have to do with a religious message?
What does a egg laying rabbit have to do with Jesus??

Old 03-25-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
By definition a Christian is not a pagan. This is a harmless activity for kids. ReallY???? Who cares?????

You vastly misunderstand the Bible on pagan rituals. To do a pagan ritual one needs to be a pagan. Christians are not pagan.
Did Jesus hold a easter egg hunt?
Did the apostles hold easter Egg hunts after his death?

Old 03-25-2014, 01:34 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,266,844 times
Quote:
Did the apostles hold easter Egg hunts after his death?
This fetish with paganism is moot. Society is not static and grows and changes over time. Customs and traditions come and go. The association of Easter Eggs is not biblical, but who cares. Many catholic priests used the eggs to symbolize new life and the resurrection. No one gets hurt here and everybody adores Jesus. No one worships rabbits or eggs!

Old 03-25-2014, 01:40 PM

32,516 posts, read 36,985,292 times
Quote:
I like to picture Jesus as enjoying kids. Which is what today's egg hunts are all about. Kids having a good time. I can see Jesus hiding shells and laughing as kids tried to find them. No message needed. There is such a thing as having fun because it's ....... fun!

Old 03-25-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
This fetish with paganism is moot. Society is not static and grows and changes over time. Customs and traditions come and go. The association of Easter Eggs is not biblical, but who cares. Many catholic priests used the eggs to symbolize new life and the resurrection. No one gets hurt here and everybody adores Jesus. No one worships rabbits or eggs!
Since Christians are supposed to follow the bible as God commands, where did God justify easter egg hunts.

And there you go, the you know who church uses them so it must be okay.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:49 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,727,554 times
Quote:

I don't see the issue.

The roots of the long-secularized child's game of hunting for Easter eggs is really no more relevant than the roots of the name of the day 'Thursday' - do you think using it is somehow a contradiction for Christian churches? I'm an atheist and I frequently use the word - it doesn't mean I think there is a Thor. And when my children were young, we had Easter baskets for them, and hid eggs for them to hide. Surely you don't think that was in any way a pagan rite, do you? Of course, it is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity