U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2014, 04:06 PM

28,955 posts, read 49,609,446 times

Advertisements

On Sunday night, the temperature in Rockford, Illinois is expected to drop below 20 degrees. On Monday and Tuesday, the area could see several more inches of snow. And yet the city has informed leaders at the Apostolic Pentecostals of Rockford church that they are no longer permitted to act as a temporary warming center and homeless shelter because they do not have the adequate zoning permits.

David Frederick, the owner of the church, told WIFR that he was warned by city officials that if he kept opening his doors to the city’s homeless, he would be doing so illegally. It’s unclear if the city is prepared to levy any kind of penalty against the church if they ignore the warning.

City Demands Church Stop Sheltering The Homeless | ThinkProgress
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 04:56 PM

8,539 posts, read 7,695,555 times
The church should apply for the zoning permits and ask the church government to finance the permits .... and then pray for a lead in the Spirits for Jesus direction and bless the government of their city and ask forgiveness for their sins , to open the doors for Jesus

Old 03-26-2014, 07:57 PM

33,824 posts, read 17,961,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
The church should apply for the zoning permits and ask the church government to finance the permits .... and then pray for a lead in the Spirits for Jesus direction and bless the government of their city and ask forgiveness for their sins , to open the doors for Jesus
Uh - you understand this may mean more than a mere application. They way governments are over regulating - they will probably need to modify their edifice to accommodate the laws.

The lack of common sense in many regulations leave me shaking my head. We can say one group of people is heartless because they want to end unemployment insurance. Yet, if they give them shelter, the regulations say no - and that's supposed to be OK.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:01 PM

25,033 posts, read 18,645,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
On Sunday night, the temperature in Rockford, Illinois is expected to drop below 20 degrees. On Monday and Tuesday, the area could see several more inches of snow. And yet the city has informed leaders at the Apostolic Pentecostals of Rockford church that they are no longer permitted to act as a temporary warming center and homeless shelter because they do not have the adequate zoning permits.

David Frederick, the owner of the church, told WIFR that he was warned by city officials that if he kept opening his doors to the city’s homeless, he would be doing so illegally. It’s unclear if the city is prepared to levy any kind of penalty against the church if they ignore the warning.

To blazes with the zoning regulations. That issue can be faced later. In the meantime, do what is right and provide shelter for those who are in immediate need of it so that they don't freeze to death.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:05 PM

33,824 posts, read 17,961,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
To blazes with the zoning regulations. Do what is right and provide shelter for those who are in need of it so that they don't freeze to death.
They should follow the Spirit. You can do what seems right at the time, and get dinged for it.

Example - let's say approval for a permit does require them to improve their building - and in the process they find a flaw that could have prevented major damage such as a fire. THEN, the permitting process would be a blessing in disguise.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:13 PM

25,033 posts, read 18,645,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
They should follow the Spirit. You can do what seems right at the time, and get dinged for it.

Example - let's say approval for a permit does require them to improve their building - and in the process they find a flaw that could have prevented major damage such as a fire. THEN, the permitting process would be a blessing in disguise.
All kinds of 'what if' situations can be imagined. And anything can potentially happen. But providing shelter for those in immediate need and who have no other place to go is still the right thing to do.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:29 PM

44,566 posts, read 29,148,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Uh - you understand this may mean more than a mere application. They way governments are over regulating - they will probably need to modify their edifice to accommodate the laws.
The lack of common sense in many regulations leave me shaking my head. We can say one group of people is heartless because they want to end unemployment insurance. Yet, if they give them shelter, the regulations say no - and that's supposed to be OK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
To blazes with the zoning regulations. That issue can be faced later. In the meantime, do what is right and provide shelter for those who are in immediate need of it so that they don't freeze to death.
The utter evil and idiocy of bureaucracies never ceases to amaze me. Ignore the zoning and shelter those people, period. Sue the City if they try to stop you from sheltering them.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:41 PM

21,939 posts, read 14,638,285 times
Default John Stossel sums it up.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:49 PM

21,939 posts, read 14,638,285 times
My husband just got through feeding the homeless in a shelter downtown in our city. It's run by the Catholic church but other churches also have volunteers to help.

It's an old church that was turned into a place for the men to come at night for food and a place to sleep. I am sure they have all the zoning, etc done years ago. This place has been open for a long time.

It was sad to see the men come in but they don't have any place to go unless they want to sleep under a bridge or somewhere downtown on the street. We got down to freezing and below this year as well and they let the men stay during the day. If the weather is not horrible out the men have to leave during the day. They either go to a day job or hang around downtown, etc.

The men can't bring in alcohol or drugs and are searched. They can come in if they are drunk but they can't bring booze in with them. A few men are there to supervise over night and fights can break out so they need to be careful.

If you spend anytime in the downtown areas of your city you will see these homeless people who beg on the street. People who work downtown see them everyday. Sad.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:33 AM

10,381 posts, read 4,916,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

Interesting. Rockford is very close to where I live. It's a city of about 250,000 and last I checked it still had the highest unemployment rate in the entire state of Illinois. There are so many parts of town that you drive through and you just feel sad at how run down everything is.

Maybe I'm just a hopeless optimist here, but I really doubt that they're going to actually follow through on their threats. I think the city of Rockford is just covering their butts in case some structure that isn't up to code burns down or collapses or whatever -- killing and injuring the homeless folks inside. If that were to happen, maybe the City of Rockford would possibly not be liable since the church running the shelter was warned. The best solution would be to get that church the funds they need to bring their shelters up to code. I doubt the city has the funds, but the people of Rockford and surrounding areas could jump in and help. I may just have to look into this a lot more. Kicking people out into the cold is just dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or