U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 04:48 PM

9,022 posts, read 8,424,870 times

Advertisements

As long as there is No condemnation , or a spirit which devalues people , or reject Jesus is Lord , or telling people secrets on people like reading mail or match making relationship or telling dark secrets on people with No redemption from God , and the prophet Words have Word of faith from Jesus to believe , then these are the things which people can discern a prophet to the prophecy of the flesh or the dragon devil talking to hurt Christians from Jesus Spirit of truth ............ Most prophecy from Jesus need to be confirmed as you can expect to receive by faith but not allowed to act on the prophecy until confirmed through Jesus Holy Spirit
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 09:00 AM

1,030 posts, read 743,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Do you ever listen to a friend?
Perhaps, the MIL is insecure.
Well there is a big difference in my listening to my friends and someone who proclaims themselves as a prophet falsely.

I think you may have a good point about the MIL being insecure.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:40 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,797,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
My mother in law has a friend who for the last couple of years, she claims is a prophetess, or a listener. This "friend" (she's in her 60s) never seemed to have these powers before that.
So this other lady sits down everyday and writes down all these "messages" like she has a direct line to God. And the MIL uses it to direct her life. Just like the "God Calling" ladies. She's even talked about writing a book.

The MIL actually calls her now and asks her to ask God questions? Should she move here, is this person that I just met "the one", should I buy this, should I quit this job, etc. To me, the lady just tells her what she wants to hear. I won't even get into how many times she's moved back and forth between TX and PA the last two years (we moved fro TX to PA for my work a coupls years ago). She does get approval for all of them though

What are peoples views on modern day prophets like this? Am I wrong to question this?? What's the difference between this and a fortune teller, other than in this case I am (apparently) questioning God's will? Shouldn't a person have their own relationship with God?
No, you're not wrong in questioning this. We each need to have our own personal relationship with God, not depend on someone else to 'hear from God for us.'

Due to job location we've been asked to moved to other states. Each time I have asked God, if we are to make this move, He 'open the doors,' and if we're not to move, He "close the doors." And we did accordingly. BTW, every time the answer was yes we just stood back and watched Him work and move!!

Old 04-02-2014, 12:34 PM

12,478 posts, read 5,773,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You're right---that was what I was getting at. If she claims to be a prophet she is to have 100% accuracy, according to the Bible.

I know it's easy for us to say "no...don't place any faith in her...she's a quack"...but that's hard to say to someone that appears to be trusting her based on personality and emotion.
I would agree, but prophets have been wrong before. Jonah didn't go to Nineveh with the message, "Repent or be destroyed." His message was "You will be destroyed." The people of Nineveh changed their own fate by repenting. Peter was wrong about taking the gospel to the gentiles and about a number of related things. It is clearly possible for a prophet to be wrong now and then. They are still human after all. Both of those cases could have been because the messenger misunderstood the message in the first place.

The more important thing is to find out from God whether a person is a true messenger from God. And all of us should be seeking for and gaining the gift of prophecy, etc. We shouldn't need to have somebody else commune with God on our behalf. For the vast majority of things, we should do it ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity