U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 12:26 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,646,442 times

Advertisements

My mother in law has a friend who for the last couple of years, she claims is a prophetess, or a listener. This "friend" (she's in her 60s) never seemed to have these powers before that.
So this other lady sits down everyday and writes down all these "messages" like she has a direct line to God. And the MIL uses it to direct her life. Just like the "God Calling" ladies. She's even talked about writing a book.

The MIL actually calls her now and asks her to ask God questions? Should she move here, is this person that I just met "the one", should I buy this, should I quit this job, etc. To me, the lady just tells her what she wants to hear. I won't even get into how many times she's moved back and forth between TX and PA the last two years (we moved fro TX to PA for my work a coupls years ago). She does get approval for all of them though

What are peoples views on modern day prophets like this? Am I wrong to question this?? What's the difference between this and a fortune teller, other than in this case I am (apparently) questioning God's will? Shouldn't a person have their own relationship with God?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 12:38 PM

19,943 posts, read 15,473,408 times
Have you EVER known her to be wrong about ANYTHING she claims to have received from God?

Old 03-31-2014, 01:02 PM

1,030 posts, read 744,924 times
First of all no Prophets of God ever acted in such a manner. The fakes today all do it basically the same way. They have a word just for you. This is not of God and no one should listen to someone like this. It's the same as going to a witch doctor or palm reader. It's all fake.

Second, there are no Prophets during this age. The moment someone claims to be such you know your dealing with something other than God.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:41 PM

28,960 posts, read 13,042,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightly Divided View Post
First of all no Prophets of God ever acted in such a manner. The fakes today all do it basically the same way. They have a word just for you. This is not of God and no one should listen to someone like this. It's the same as going to a witch doctor or palm reader. It's all fake.

Second, there are no Prophets during this age. The moment someone claims to be such you know your dealing with something other than God.
Do you ever listen to a friend?
Perhaps, the MIL is insecure.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Have you EVER known her to be wrong about ANYTHING she claims to have received from God?
I guess some of it is still TBD ("you will meet your husband if you live here"), but most if it is stuff like "Ask God if I should move back to Texas". Answer, "Yes, he says you should be back in Texas". That's more like advice isn't it?

I guess that's fine if you actually had money to move back, and haven't already Moved from Texas to PA to Texas back to PA and now back to Texas all in two years.

And yes, I understand prophets are supposed to be 100% right. As far as I know I don't think she has been. So I'm guessing that's the answer, I just wanted other experiences.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Do you ever listen to a friend?
Perhaps, the MIL is insecure.
I know she is insecure. But this isn't asking her friend, this is asking her friend to ask God.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:52 PM

10,159 posts, read 13,230,374 times
People should come together and discuss the scriptures (like iron sharpening iron) to determine what the scriptures are saying to them. In this case, however, it sounds like one is suggesting that they are getting messages from God that may/may not concur with scripture. The "God Calling" book contains some of this element, but, is mostly about praise and worship ... than claimed prophecies that are independent of scripture. Peter warns against the latter:

2 Peter 1:19-21 -- We also have the prophetic message as something completely reliable, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. 20 Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things. 21 For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

While it is good to seek the counsel of other believers, Scripture clearly tells us to individually (and collectively) seek God’s guidance and will (and to give Him praise and thanks) in every situation.

However, in some cases, people conclude that God’s will for their lives is like a maze of specific decisions through which there is only one path … and that if they miss a single turn, they will miss God’s will for their lives. This leaves them susceptible to ‘superstitious, gut-feeling-guided lives,’ rather than a true relationship with the Living God. It’s one thing if your MIL and this woman are praying and seeking God’s guidance together, but, if your MIL is instead depending more on this woman, than on God, she is opening herself to deception (even though this woman may not be trying to deceive her).

Last edited by jghorton; 03-31-2014 at 03:02 PM..

Old 03-31-2014, 01:57 PM

28,960 posts, read 13,042,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
I know she is insecure. But this isn't asking her friend, this is asking her friend to ask God.
Often times, Religion and insecurity come together; as people live with the mistakes of yesterday, fearing tomorrow.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:45 PM

19,943 posts, read 15,473,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
I guess some of it is still TBD ("you will meet your husband if you live here"), but most if it is stuff like "Ask God if I should move back to Texas". Answer, "Yes, he says you should be back in Texas". That's more like advice isn't it?

I guess that's fine if you actually had money to move back, and haven't already Moved from Texas to PA to Texas back to PA and now back to Texas all in two years.

And yes, I understand prophets are supposed to be 100% right. As far as I know I don't think she has been. So I'm guessing that's the answer, I just wanted other experiences.
You're right---that was what I was getting at. If she claims to be a prophet she is to have 100% accuracy, according to the Bible.

I know it's easy for us to say "no...don't place any faith in her...she's a quack"...but that's hard to say to someone that appears to be trusting her based on personality and emotion.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
People should come together and discuss the scriptures (like iron sharpening iron) to determine what the scriptures are saying to them. In this case, however, it sounds like one is suggesting that they are getting messages from God that may/may not concur with scripture. The "God Calling" book contains some of this element, but, is mostly about praise and worship ... than claimed prophecies that are independent of scripture. Peter warns against the latter:

2 Peter 1:19-21 -- We also have the prophetic message as something completely reliable, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. 20 Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things. 21 For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

While it is good to seek the counsel of other believers, Scripture clearly tells us to individually (and collectively) seek God’s guidance and will (and to give Him praise and thanks) in every situation.

However, in some cases, people conclude that God’s will for their lives is like a maze of specific decisions through which there is only one path … and that if they miss a single turn, they will miss God’s will for their lives. This leaves them susceptible to ‘superstitious, gut-feeling-guided lives,’ rather than a true relationship with the Living God. It’s one thing if your MIL and this woman are praying and seeking God’s guidance together, but, if your MIL is instead depending more on this woman, than on God, she is opening herself to deception (even though this woman may not be trying to deceive her).
Very good explanation. This doesn't appear to be praying together to find guidance. This appears to be asking a second person to ask God for her for guidance on what she should and shouldn't do, and to provide daily guidance. Like she needs her direct ear to God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity