Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 03:14 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

If the Rev. John DeBonville could preach a sermon to lift the souls of churchgoers across America, his message would be simple:

Stop dressing so tacky for church.

Stop dressing so tacky for church – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 03:46 PM

335 posts, read 410,097 times
Yeah we live in a new generation a "me" generation that hasn't been nurture in traditional manors, etiquette ,and general
behavior ( the kind that requires thought). When I see a fella in church with a Corona hat on it isn't that I want to judge
I want to jump him and give him a round house then say God bless you. Women come to church with low cut clothes and
tight shorts (so I've been told hmmm),. Men once the church relaxes its dress style always takes it to another level with
wearing shorts ! Yes they are there and I guess clothing doesn't always present a Christian image or common sense?

Last edited by Inattentive; 04-22-2014 at 03:58 PM..

Old 04-22-2014, 04:34 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,841,188 times
There have been several threads on this topic, with answers ranging from - "Don't worry about what they wear, as long as they are in church" - to "One's manner of dress represents their respect and esteem for God (or the other person). By the same token, I've seen folks going on job interviews dressed like they were going to the beach, so maybe people just don't know.

We attended a church for a while where the young pastor's dressed in a way -- that he would have to go home and dress-up, if he were going to a beach party after church. He was trying to appeal to a young audience, but, IMO was trying so hard to project an image that said, "I'm not really concerned about dress or other superficial things" ... that it was painfully obvious that images and dress were exactly what he was most concerned about!

Old 04-22-2014, 04:43 PM

1,030 posts, read 841,153 times
I don't see the need for men to ware a suit and tie, but I do believe casual business attire is about as far as you should go. I could even go along with blue jeans. I do not approve of shorts or short dress' or low cut or backless dress' at church. I believe we are to dress modestly at all times and cover ourselves.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:22 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
I think that when you are going to meet with the Author Of The Universe, the Lord Almighty, then you should accord Him the same respect as you would going to an interview down at the bank. No, you don't have to dress to the nines. But I'm amazed at how many people dress like total slobs at church or on the job.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I think that when you are going to meet with the Author Of The Universe, the Lord Almighty, then you should accord Him the same respect as you would going to an interview down at the bank. No, you don't have to dress to the nines. But I'm amazed at how many people dress like total slobs at church or on the job.
Well since God meets with us everywhere, everyday and we go to church to be with other believers that dressing up for church is only to impress other people. But that's just the way I view it. I dress everyday to meet God.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:09 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,281,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
If the Rev. John DeBonville could preach a sermon to lift the souls of churchgoers across America, his message would be simple:

Stop dressing so tacky for church.

Stop dressing so tacky for church – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs
Yes, We don't want to appear as though we welcome everyone. If they aren't wearing the proper clothes, turn them away! Tattoos??? Sinners, I tell you, sinners! It's all over the gospels that Jesus only accepted the elite, well dressed. For instance, the sermon on the mount. "Blessed are the well dressed, for theirs is the kingdom of God." The church shouldn't accept just anyone. Dress codes all around!

It's a little known fact that there was a thirteenth disciple, Thaddeus. However, he showed up one day without the proper dress and Jesus cast him into the outer darkness.

And what if they don't have the money for nice clothes? Do they fill out a form to explain why they aren't dressed "properly"?

I was in a service once and the pastor had someone fill in. This guy railed against improper dress and tattoos. A young woman who had some tattoos was very upset and left in tears. Nice way to exhort. If Jesus was still in His grave, he'd be spinning.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:18 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightly Divided View Post
Well since God meets with us everywhere, everyday and we go to church to be with other believers that dressing up for church is only to impress other people. But that's just the way I view it. I dress everyday to meet God.
Well, that's nice and pious, but if we use your logic why go to church at all? Nope, church is our special time with God. For Christ Himself recognized the importance of corporate worship. Even when he had issues with the religious leadership of His time, he still attended synagogue with a reverent heart. In fact, the synagogues of Christ's day were rather particular about one's cleanliness and grooming for worship. While Christ took issues with the money changers in the temple, he didn't seem to object to this notion at all.

And lest someone think that I'm advocating dressing up in a three-piece suit or the latest chi-chi dress from a boutique, then I would say you couldn't be more wrong.

But putting an effort into your appearance rather than flinging on whatever immediately after one rolls out of bed speaks more to the importance one attaches towards church's importance in the first place, tantamount to putting in the least possible effort–going through the motions, if you will. You wouldn't put on sweatpants and an old t-shirt to go to your job would you? Of course not. So why would you going to church?

I mean, I've been to many churches in my time where the congregants were awfully poor, yet they made an effort. Not in haute couture, not to show off, but because their time in church was important to them. And they respected that time by the way they dressed.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, that's nice and pious, but if we use your logic why go to church at all? Nope, church is our special time with God.

Nothing pious about it. Church is for the "gathering of ourselves together". We can spend time with God anytime but we need other Christians and time with them and that is why the concept of the Church was given to us by God. The church building is not a holy or special place it is just a place where the church meets together. We are no longer under the Law and in need of a special place for our special time with God. Jesus did away with that for us.

As for dressing, I agree you dress based on the importance you place upon where you are going. The gathering together of the saints is a special time with each other and as children of God we need to dress respectfully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity