U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 03:53 PM

843 posts, read 476,271 times

Advertisements

Should Creationism be included in Science classes at Public school? I, for one, say yes. So far, its exclusion is due to, of course, the law which dictates separation of church and state. But I believe that the tide has changed in that, at this point, Creationists have amassed a considerable amount of scientific evidence. After all, since Evolution is included in Public schools, so why not Creationism? Maybe, back in the day, many decades ago, Creationism was considered religion. But currently, due to amassing so much scientific evidence, Creationism can be convincingly seen as Science. Seen in that light, efforts should be made to implement its inclusion in the curriculum.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 04:30 PM

28,900 posts, read 49,252,767 times
No. The 'evidence' amassed by creationists is about as scientific as that of mood rings and tarot cards.

Here's the thing. Creationism isn't even a tenet of Christianity. It is a tenet of one movement within Christianity.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:40 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,253,652 times
I'm going to be the odd man out on this probably and say no. For one thing there is no consensus among Christians. You have the young earthe'rs, GAP'ers, day ager's, neo's, theistic evolutionists, intelligent designers, and progressive creationists to name a few. How do you decide who's view to teach?

Then you have other religions with their views.

Finally, I would not count on our public schools to get it right.

I appreciate what you're saying though, I really do.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:43 PM

30,158 posts, read 15,866,695 times
Absolutely not.

Creationism is a lot of things but none of them are related to Science.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:44 PM

3,671 posts, read 1,743,344 times
Evolution is is just the continuation of his Creation. did not God say, Genesis 1:11 "And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so”. and, Genesis 1:20 "And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven”.

Evolution is just God in nature. this of course is my opinion. .

Old 06-06-2014, 04:58 PM

639 posts, read 508,163 times
Creationism fails to qualify as science in all four epistemological senses: 1.) It's untestable, 2.) It's unfalsifiable, 3.) It makes no predictions, and 4.) It has no practical application.

Even if creationism is 100% true, (it has been debunked at literally every turn), it fails in not just one sense, or two senses, but in every sense.

At the 2005 Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School board trial, conservative Christian judge, John Jones, described the ID creationist movement as "at best disingenuous, and at worst, a canard."

You don't see creationists working as doctors for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:04 PM

1,030 posts, read 716,135 times
Creationism is basically a religious claim that provides the who behind the event. I think a more relevant question would be "should young earth scientific theory be taught along side the current old earth theory that is being taught"? I would say yes to this question. It is a logical scientific approach that is supported by evidence observed in nature. It is another way to interpret what is observed.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:16 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,009,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
Should Creationism be included in Science classes at Public school? I, for one, say yes. So far, its exclusion is due to, of course, the law which dictates separation of church and state. But I believe that the tide has changed in that, at this point, Creationists have amassed a considerable amount of scientific evidence. After all, since Evolution is included in Public schools, so why not Creationism? Maybe, back in the day, many decades ago, Creationism was considered religion. But currently, due to amassing so much scientific evidence, Creationism can be convincingly seen as Science. Seen in that light, efforts should be made to implement its inclusion in the curriculum.
No, it should not.

Pretty much everything you said above is false. Creationists have not amassed any credible scientific evidence whatsoever that support their claims. Every bit of "evidence" creationists have ever presented has been completely and utterly debunked by real scientists.

Unfortunately, that seems to make no difference to creationists. They just keep putting forward the same discredited "evidence" anyway, as if no one had responded to them. Creationists are intellectually dishonest and creationism a scientific fraud.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:21 PM

30,158 posts, read 15,866,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightly Divided View Post
Creationism is basically a religious claim that provides the who behind the event. I think a more relevant question would be "should young earth scientific theory be taught along side the current old earth theory that is being taught"? I would say yes to this question. It is a logical scientific approach that is supported by evidence observed in nature. It is another way to interpret what is observed.
Please detail the science behind a young earth theory.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:40 PM

639 posts, read 508,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightly Divided View Post
This is a conversation stopper; it's the equivalent of saying that there's strong evidentiary support for the idea that Elvis lives. Earth's 4.5-billion-year age is so conclusively demonstrated, by so many independent lines of inquiry, that anyone who even entertains the idea of a 6,000-year-old universe is either scientifically illiterate or a charlatan. There is no third option.

If you think there stands any reasonable chance of the Earth being a few thousand years old, you've left the realm of rational skepticism and entered in to an abject intellectual coma.

Last edited by rpc1; 06-06-2014 at 06:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity