Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 12:29 AM

3,223 posts, read 10,096,881 times

Advertisements

Is it a sin to participate in sports and go to sporting events along with listening to rock music and going to rock concerts? I always believed that it was God who has given the musicians and the athletes the talent and the success they've earned, some people are saying that sports and music are created by Satan and I don't believe that, this guy told me that it's a sin to watch sports or listen to music and I don't believe that one bit.

However that's what this guy claims

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfgIe6i5NO4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 02:29 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,624,166 times
I'm no Christian, so I probably have no business advising, but this guy offers a stupid argument. It basically comes down to nothing more than that if you want to be true to jesus, you don't have time to watch sports or listen to music. The time you spend watching a hockey game or going to a concert would have been better spent doing something to honor Christ.

OK, great. By that logic, it's also a sin to watch television, read a book or a newspaper, listen to the news on the radio, go for a walk in the park, hang out after work or school with your friends - or even own a pet, because hey, it takes time to feed them twice a day or clean out the litterbox. It's stupid. Apparently, in his view. god demands that anyone who follows him has to be a completely boring imbecile, with no life or interests whatsoever aside from your religion. Eat, sleep, breath, honor jesus. Eat, sleep, breathe, honor jesus. Eat, sleep, drink, honor jesus. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:43 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,889 times
I believe you need to do things that honor God. Im going to use Wrestling as an example for sports. Does that bring glory and honor to God? No. Its a guy beating another man with a chair or throwing him violently. As for the music, do the words and band honor God? If they sing about killing, raping, guns, and drugs- no.

As Christians we dont have to live in a bubble but you cant be half in and half out. Youre either living part of this earthly world or youre living in HIS world.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:11 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,096,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I believe you need to do things that honor God. Im going to use Wrestling as an example for sports. Does that bring glory and honor to God? No. Its a guy beating another man with a chair or throwing him violently. As for the music, do the words and band honor God? If they sing about killing, raping, guns, and drugs- no.

As Christians we dont have to live in a bubble but you cant be half in and half out. Youre either living part of this earthly world or youre living in HIS world.
I'm not a huge fan of wrestling but I do like watching/playing sports like football, baseball, basketball and volleyball and I always believed that it was God who gave some of the athletes the talent they have to participate in these sports.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:14 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post

However that's what this guy claims
So who is he (are we supposed to know - I've never heard of him) and why are you paying attention to a guy who put himself on youtube?

Old 06-17-2014, 02:30 PM

3,671 posts, read 2,243,131 times
Only replying to the OP. NO, and I say it again, NO. one can play cards, just don't gamble. one can take a drink, but just don't get drunk. now if there is something that causes your brother or sister to stumble, don't do it, (especially in front of them). do it in the privacy of your own home. Romans 14:14 "I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean. 15 But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died 16 Let not then your good be evil spoken of: 17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost. 18 For he that in these things serveth Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men". even though I have a right to do, BUT............1 Corinthians 6:12 "All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any. and, 1 Corinthians 10:23 "All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not. one might think that these two verses say the same thing, NO, they are as night and day. but the bottom line is this, be for Christ in the sight of God and men. a long, long, time ago I heard this statement, ”I’ll give up the right for the wrong”. for years when I first heard it I did not understand it. but now I do, (see verse 16).

watch what one do in the sight of God and men. for people are not reading the bible, they are reading you.

action speak louder that words.

be blessed.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:50 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,527,583 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=2FSu1DlIpAk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=Wsn80FUNABs

Last edited by Cephas40; 06-17-2014 at 02:58 PM..

Old 06-17-2014, 03:23 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,527,583 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5s6xIZfQtQ

Old 06-17-2014, 04:03 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,009,914 times
Best is to pray for both sides to win and it will show God that your not into competition , which can devalue the apposing team................ Then if you go to a concert best to know that the words that you hear are not to evil as you could temp the Lord Your God if you engage in hatred words or anything which can devalue your neighbor who you are called to Love , as Christians who hear evil are called to rebuke the sin in Jesus name and pray for the people who are bring it to you to be blessed as this is spiritual discernment of dark spirits and exercising your authority in Christ to keep cleansed

Old 06-17-2014, 04:23 PM

3,671 posts, read 2,243,131 times
this earth was made for man, and his enjoyment. the world, may I say the evil world, or the corrupt system, because of Satan, is not for Christian, (hence, separate ourselves). there is nothing wrong with the world itself, just the sin in it by man, (but we're overcomers). and or the people who act in this sin. and some act in it by ignorance. even though we live in the world, we don't have to partake in its evil ways. supportive scripture, "seek ye first the kingdom". STOP, seek God first. the verse did not say seek God only, but first. then "all" these things will be added. just put your priorities in order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity