Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 03:24 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,982,384 times

Advertisements

I have been sitting here for months wondering about how we should expect Christian women to dress in our modern times. There is such a change in culture in what is acceptable and what is not. I was reminded of this point when I was watching a show on TV today with an actress who considers herself to be a Christian. It seems on almost every episode her character has some revealing clothes, usually showing cleavage or form fitting. Talking to women about this topic it appears to me, that men and women have such a different view on this. To women, from the ones I have spoken to at least, cleavage doesn't seem to be a major issue and form fitting attire seems to depend on a woman's body type. As a man, I look at it from a standpoint of why are these women dressing this way? Are they doing it on purpose or because they want the attention that these outfits bring? Biblically, I know there are some scriptures that can apply to this. I am curious, how do you all look at this topic from a biblical standpoint?

Old 05-14-2014, 03:32 PM

368 posts, read 391,494 times
No decent person, male of female, should dress in a way that is deliberately intended to cause lust in other people. Any person who thinks that looking "sexy" is not merely acceptable, but something to be encouraged, is in fact endorsing dressing in a way that is intentionally designed to incite lust in other people. Of course, since modern society of so obsessed with sex, and since most people are hopelessly obtuse and just go with the flow, the thought has probably never crossed the minds of many so-called Christians who post here that trying to look "sexy", or regarding "sexy" as a compliment, is in fact not consistent with what they claim they believe.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:04 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,012,828 times
Most people in the church were I go just dress casual , as the best that they can with out being too formal.....Some woman still have a hat , but it is getting rare .... Then there are some who dress in Levi denim , but then the next week could have a dress skirt or a jump suit .. Mostly just how people feel , and Jesus said in the gospel to take no worry for the clothes that you put on ... Then from the Old Testament people were told to dress up when they came in to the Temple in Jerusalem ...... Seen a worship service from Texas on-line and the Worship team all had Levi denim cow boy clothes ...

Old 05-15-2014, 12:38 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
I have been sitting here for months wondering about how we should expect Christian women to dress in our modern times. There is such a change in culture in what is acceptable and what is not. I was reminded of this point when I was watching a show on TV today with an actress who considers herself to be a Christian. It seems on almost every episode her character has some revealing clothes, usually showing cleavage or form fitting. Talking to women about this topic it appears to me, that men and women have such a different view on this. To women, from the ones I have spoken to at least, cleavage doesn't seem to be a major issue and form fitting attire seems to depend on a woman's body type. As a man, I look at it from a standpoint of why are these women dressing this way? Are they doing it on purpose or because they want the attention that these outfits bring? Biblically, I know there are some scriptures that can apply to this. I am curious, how do you all look at this topic from a biblical standpoint?
Modestly most of the time and with honor to God when at Church, etc. What we wear reflects on who we claim.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:01 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
To women, from the ones I have spoken to at least, cleavage doesn't seem to be a major issue and form fitting attire seems to depend on a woman's body type. As a man, I look at it from a standpoint of why are these women dressing this way?
Why are you talking to women about their cleavage?

Old 05-15-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Self answering

Old 05-15-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Self answering
Do you talk to women about their cleavage?

There's more talk about women's cleavage on this forum then there is in Fashion and Beauty. Must be an important subject.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:52 PM

368 posts, read 391,494 times
Quote:
I assume that expatCA meant that it makes little sense to talk to men about their cleavage. Besides, if a woman is putting it on display intending for all the world to see and notice it, what objection could she have in learning that she is successful?

It should also be noted that there was no statement that the discussion was about the other person's own cleavage. I might ask a female co-worker why some women wear 5-inch high heels, but that does not mean the woman I am speaking to is wearing shoes of that kind.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWhiteBlue View Post

It should also be noted that there was no statement that the discussion was about the other person's own cleavage. I might ask a female co-worker why some women wear 5-inch high heels, but that does not mean the woman I am speaking to is wearing shoes of that kind.
If the OP, a male, is talking to women about other women's cleavage..... that's called gossip. Unless he's the compliance officer for the church's dress code. In which case he should probably make sure none of the men are guilty of wearing tight pants or letting their biceps show. (Women look too.)

Old 05-15-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Do you talk to women about their cleavage?

There's more talk about women's cleavage on this forum then there is in Fashion and Beauty. Must be an important subject.
Only my wife.

Now it wouldn't be an issue for anyone else to discuss with women, if they did not show such. It attracts attention, so men ......................... look.

It can be especially bad in Church as one may be passing a plate, a microphone for comments, etc and oops saw far more than they wanted to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity