Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 09:10 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,789,302 times

Advertisements

In a couple of verses Jesus uses the word everything to describe what Elijah and the Holy Spirit will use. Some interpretations use two words such as all things but the single word everything is more appropriate. Elijah is suppose to come first and restore everything as Jesus said in Mark 9. The Advocate ,The Holy Spirit is to instruct the believer in everything and remind him what the son of man said.

Could The Holy Spirit be Elijah since they both promote everything ? Jesus described everything. Have you seen everything ? What do you think everything is to God?

Mark 9;

"Elijah is truly coming first to restore everything."

John;

"The Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will instruct you in everything and remind you of all that I told you."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 02:49 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,654,346 times
No, the Holy Spirit is not Elijah. The Holy Spirit is part of the Trinity. He is God. The Father, Son and Holy Spirit are/is the One God. Elijah was just a man.

In the scriptures you mentioned, the disciples asked Jesus why Elijah must come first. Jesus responded by addressing the prophecy in Malachi 3 and 4.

Malachi 4:5,6, "Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord. And he will turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers, lest I come and strike the earth with a curse."

The verses you're talking about are also in Matthew 17:11, "Indeed, Elijah is coming first and will restore all things."

Now look at verse 12, "But I say to you that Elijah has come already, and they did not know him but did to him whatever they wished. Likewise the Son of Man is also about to suffer at their hands."

Jesus said that Elijah has already come. Elijah is not (and could never be) the Holy Spirit. So, what does it mean that Elijah must - and already has - come first? How does that fit into the prophecy in Malachi? The answer is a few chapters back in Matthew 11.

Jesus asked the disciples what they went out into the wilderness to see when they heard about John the Baptist. A prophet? Jesus said John the Baptist was "more than a prophet." In verse 10, Jesus said that the prophecy in Malachi was about John the Baptist. The key is in verse 14.

Matthew 11:14-15, "And if you are willing to receive it, he is Elijah who is to come. He who has ears to hear, let him hear!"

Does that mean that John the Baptist was Elijah reincarnated? Nope. John the Baptist himself denied it in John 1:21.

John the Baptist was the one spoken of in the prophecy in Malachi because John came in the spirit and power of Elijah. We know this because it says so in Luke where an angel announces the birth of John the Baptist.

Luke 1:17, "He will also go before Him in the spirit and power of Elijah, ‘to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children,’ and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just, to make ready a people prepared for the Lord."

The scripture you're referring to in Mark 9 talks about (in verse 13) how they rejected John the Baptist. If they had believed John the Baptist, he would have been the fulfillment of the prophecy. But, since they rejected John the Baptist and Jesus (Matthew 17:12 quoted above), there will be another who comes in the spirit and power of Elijah before the second coming of Christ, in the form of the two witnesses in Revelation 11.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:02 PM

9,695 posts, read 10,036,927 times
Holy Spirit is not Elijah , as Elijah was a man born from the earth , and Holy Spirit is from Heaven sent to the earth ........ Still everything that Jesus has belongs to the believers of Christ which could restore ....

Old 07-25-2014, 04:39 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,395,276 times
Malachi 4:5-6
Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord.
And he will turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers,
lest I come and strike the earth with a curse.

Father's, walk in truth, be forgiving, and love always. For this is pleasing to the Lord.
Be a peacemaker, lift-up your family, love your wife, and teach your children.

Honor God, and love him with all your heart. Love, one-another, as God loves you.
Follow his directions in your life, and examine your heart - being thankful in all things.

"Lest he smite you with a contentious wife and unruly children."

Causing severe Psychological pain and suffering of mind; and body.

(Couldn't resist, take it for what it's worth - no offense to the women or any minor).

Men should be walking righteously, not merely justifying themselves.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
No, the Holy Spirit is not Elijah. The Holy Spirit is part of the Trinity. He is God. The Father, Son and Holy Spirit are/is the One God. Elijah was just a man.

In the scriptures you mentioned, the disciples asked Jesus why Elijah must come first. Jesus responded by addressing the prophecy in Malachi 3 and 4.

Malachi 4:5,6, "Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord. And he will turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers, lest I come and strike the earth with a curse."

The verses you're talking about are also in Matthew 17:11, "Indeed, Elijah is coming first and will restore all things."

Now look at verse 12, "But I say to you that Elijah has come already, and they did not know him but did to him whatever they wished. Likewise the Son of Man is also about to suffer at their hands."

Jesus said that Elijah has already come. Elijah is not (and could never be) the Holy Spirit. So, what does it mean that Elijah must - and already has - come first? How does that fit into the prophecy in Malachi? The answer is a few chapters back in Matthew 11.

Jesus asked the disciples what they went out into the wilderness to see when they heard about John the Baptist. A prophet? Jesus said John the Baptist was "more than a prophet." In verse 10, Jesus said that the prophecy in Malachi was about John the Baptist. The key is in verse 14.

Matthew 11:14-15, "And if you are willing to receive it, he is Elijah who is to come. He who has ears to hear, let him hear!"

Does that mean that John the Baptist was Elijah reincarnated? Nope. John the Baptist himself denied it in John 1:21.

John the Baptist was the one spoken of in the prophecy in Malachi because John came in the spirit and power of Elijah. We know this because it says so in Luke where an angel announces the birth of John the Baptist.

Luke 1:17, "He will also go before Him in the spirit and power of Elijah, ‘to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children,’ and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just, to make ready a people prepared for the Lord."

The scripture you're referring to in Mark 9 talks about (in verse 13) how they rejected John the Baptist. If they had believed John the Baptist, he would have been the fulfillment of the prophecy. But, since they rejected John the Baptist and Jesus (Matthew 17:12 quoted above), there will be another who comes in the spirit and power of Elijah before the second coming of Christ, in the form of the two witnesses in Revelation 11.
I really do not see John the Baptist in the spirit and power of Elijah. He was not a prophet as Elijah was. The only thing he did, at least that is written of him, is baptize with water as a symbol of repentance. Another thing is why would God allow him to be beheaded ? Why didn't Jesus help His cousin? Seems a bit of a stretch to think He was Elijah.

Did you find EVERYTHING yet?

Old 07-25-2014, 07:56 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,654,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
I really do not see John the Baptist in the spirit and power of Elijah. He was not a prophet as Elijah was. The only thing he did, at least that is written of him, is baptize with water as a symbol of repentance. Another thing is why would God allow him to be beheaded ? Why didn't Jesus help His cousin? Seems a bit of a stretch to think He was Elijah.

Did you find EVERYTHING yet?
Then your beef is with the scriptures, not me. It clearly says that John the Baptist came in the spirit and power of Elijah. He wasn't actually Elijah. All the scriptures I mentioned bring it full circle and put it into context and relevance. You appear to be trying to fit the scriptures into your own understanding and not the other way around. (Which is idolatry, placing yourself in God's position.) You read something and you think you know what it should mean. You don't seem to be trying to understand what it does mean. Not understanding the scriptures doesn't make them untrue. It means that you lack understanding, which we all do about certain things.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Then your beef is with the scriptures, not me. It clearly says that John the Baptist came in the spirit and power of Elijah. He wasn't actually Elijah. All the scriptures I mentioned bring it full circle and put it into context and relevance. You appear to be trying to fit the scriptures into your own understanding and not the other way around. (Which is idolatry, placing yourself in God's position.) You read something and you think you know what it should mean. You don't seem to be trying to understand what it does mean. Not understanding the scriptures doesn't make them untrue. It means that you lack understanding, which we all do about certain things.
Jesus didn't actually say he was Elijah. He said if they were willing to believe it. Jesus said John the Baptist was a great man born of woman. He did not say he was born of God or from above. John did not do what it says. Jesus also said that John did not come eating and drinking when scripture says Gods servants eat and drink. This is a contradiction if John was a genuine servant of God.
Anyway this thread is not about John the Baptist. You agree that Elijah is to come and restore everything. Why would he if the Holy Spirit is suppose to instruct the believer in everything. Does this mean your understanding of the Holy Spirit is flaud? Sure looks that way.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:18 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,644,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Jesus didn't actually say he was Elijah. He said if they were willing to believe it. Jesus said John the Baptist was a great man born of woman. He did not say he was born of God or from above. John did not do what it says. Jesus also said that John did not come eating and drinking when scripture says Gods servants eat and drink. This is a contradiction if John was a genuine servant of God.
Anyway this thread is not about John the Baptist. You agree that Elijah is to come and restore everything. Why would he if the Holy Spirit is suppose to instruct the believer in everything. Does this mean your understanding of the Holy Spirit is flaud? Sure looks that way.
Luke 1:12-17
12 And when Zacharias saw him, he was troubled, and fear fell upon him.
13 But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John.
14 And thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth.
15 For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.
16 And many of the children of Israel shall he turn to the Lord their God.
17 And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.

Matthew 11:7-15
7 And as they departed, Jesus began to say unto the multitudes concerning John, What went ye out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken with the wind?
8 But what went ye out for to see? A man clothed in soft raiment? behold, they that wear soft clothing are in kings' houses.
9 But what went ye out for to see? A prophet? yea, I say unto you, and more than a prophet.
10 For this is he, of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee.
11 Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.
12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force.
13 For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.
14 And if ye will receive it, this is Elias, which was for to come.
15 He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Elisha is not the Holy Spirit. Elisha was empowered as John the Baptist was by the Holy Spirit.

Every justified individual is born again by the Holy Spirit of God indwelling them.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:35 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,395,276 times
It is imperative that in "everything" the Spirit teach you; it's not the reading of a book that gives you understanding.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Luke 1:12-17
12 And when Zacharias saw him, he was troubled, and fear fell upon him.
13 But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John.
14 And thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth.
15 For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.
16 And many of the children of Israel shall he turn to the Lord their God.
17 And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.

Matthew 11:7-15
7 And as they departed, Jesus began to say unto the multitudes concerning John, What went ye out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken with the wind?
8 But what went ye out for to see? A man clothed in soft raiment? behold, they that wear soft clothing are in kings' houses.
9 But what went ye out for to see? A prophet? yea, I say unto you, and more than a prophet.
10 For this is he, of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee.
11 Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.
12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force.
13 For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.
14 And if ye will receive it, this is Elias, which was for to come.
15 He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Elisha is not the Holy Spirit. Elisha was empowered as John the Baptist was by the Holy Spirit.

Every justified individual is born again by the Holy Spirit of God indwelling them.
Jesus said that those who continued in His teaching would know the truth, the word of God. He said that He would reveal Himself, the truth to those who keep His commandments. There is no need for a Holy Spirit in the context of Christianity. The son of man reveals the Father to the son.
Again, if Elijah is to come and restore everything then Christianity's Holy Spirit is suspect if that so called Holy Spirit cannot teach the believer everything and Elijah has to come to get it right.

Elijah is the Holy Spirit and the spirit of truth is Elijah. How is it that one Christian is told one thing by this so called Holy Spirit and another something different on the same subject. Now this is done in a wide field since there are hundreds if not thousands of denominations.

The Holy Spirit is sent from the Father in the name of the son of man. Let us not forget that in John 17 Jesus while praying to the Father asked Him to keep His followers in the name that was given Him by the Father.

What was the name given to the son of man by the Father that Jesus was speaking of. It is not Jesus. What is the name of God Jesus said He revealed to His followers in John 17.

John 17:6

"I have revealed your name to those whom you gave me from the world. They were yours, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word."

John 17:11

And now I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name that you have given me, so that they may be one, as we are one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity