Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 11:10 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,788,644 times

Advertisements

Jesus never really said what the Father's name is but He did say He,the son of man, came in the name of the Father. He said He revealed the Father's name to those that were given to Him so that the love which the Father loved Him may be in them and He in them. He also asked the Father to protect them, His followers, with the Father's name which was given to the son of man.

It is written;" I come to you in my Father's name and you fail to accept me but let someone come to you in his own name and him you will accept. "

What do you think Jesus was saying when He said ,"I come to you in my Father's name"?

What do you think was the name Jesus was referring to when He said, "protect them with your name which you gave me so they may be One as we are One."?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 11:14 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,396,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Jesus never really said what the Father's name is but He did say He,the son of man, came in the name of the Father. He said He revealed the Father's name to those that were given to Him so that the love which the Father loved Him may be in them and He in them. He also asked the Father to protect them, His followers, with the Father's name which was given to the son of man.

It is written;" I come to you in my Father's name and you fail to accept me but let someone come to you in his own name and him you will accept. "

What do you think Jesus was saying when He said ,"I come to you in my Father's name"?

What do you think was the name Jesus was referring to when He said, "protect them with your name which you gave me so they may be One as we are One."?

He was talking about the true name of the Father, which is Jesus.

Isralite tradition was the firstborn was named after the name of their father.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:04 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,246,324 times
I think the Name is closely associated with a person's Nature. God's nature and essence is Agape Love, Mercy and all the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit... i.e, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, patience... We can know who God is by the Nature/Fruits. If someone teaches that God acts in a way that is the opposite of the fruits of the Spirit, it is an obvious lie.

Last edited by Heart_Song; 08-10-2014 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: add image

Old 08-10-2014, 12:24 AM

63,879 posts, read 40,157,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
I think the Name is closely associated with a person's Nature. God's nature and essence is Agape Love, Mercy and all the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit... i.e, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, patience... We can know who God is by the Nature/Fruits. If someone teaches that God acts in a way that is the opposite of the fruits of the Spirit, it is an obvious lie.
Amen, Heartsong!

Old 08-10-2014, 03:46 AM

9,693 posts, read 10,032,275 times
The Name God of Hebrews was by tetragrammaton letters `Yod Heh Vad Hah` or Roman script `YHWH`......See it was blaspheme to say this name so Jesus never spoke God name .........After the sacrifice of Christ God gave all the power of the creator to the name of the son Jesus and the names similar to this name which God will know

Old 08-10-2014, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
amen, very well put

Old 08-10-2014, 07:49 AM

14,893 posts, read 17,186,563 times
I believe that when Jesus said that He came in His Father's name, that one meaning is that He did not come on His own accord or to make a name for Himself. He came to do the Father's business and so He was working on behalf of the Father, not Himself. He came to do the Father's will and to reveal the True God to us.

Notes that I have on a related meaning

", The Son YAHUSHUA (JESUS) came in the Name of His Father “YAHUVEH” (or, “YAHWEH”, “YAHUAH”). For, that Name of “YAHUSHUA” means “YAHUVEH saves” or, “Salvation comes from YAHUVEH”.

So this says to me that Jesus is pointing us to the fact that the Father is the source of salvation. God bless.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:40 AM

Since scripture says that God hears those who call upon His name it is imperative to know His name. This is something that divides Christianity and shows some of you if not all of you are impostors. Scripture also says that God will purify the lips of the people so everyone will call upon the name of the Lord to serve Him with one accord or all in the same way. So serving the Lord has something to do with calling on His name. Jesus said a genuine worshipper will worship in truth which is the word of God. If serving God is worshipping Him then the truth or God's word is His name. That is why Jesus said in John 17; "I have made known to them your name and I will make it known so that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in them."

"He who acts in truth comes to the light so his deeds are revealed as works of God."

"The Lord is near to all who call upon Him, who call upon Him in truth."

"Speak the truth to one another"

"(Father) your word is truth.

"They shall call upon my name and I will hear them, I will say they are my people and they will say, the Lord is my God."

Old 08-10-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Since scripture says that God hears those who call upon His name it is imperative to know His name. This is something that divides Christianity and shows some of you if not all of you are impostors. Scripture also says that God will purify the lips of the people so everyone will call upon the name of the Lord to serve Him with one accord or all in the same way. So serving the Lord has something to do with calling on His name. Jesus said a genuine worshipper will worship in truth which is the word of God. If serving God is worshipping Him then the truth or God's word is His name. That is why Jesus said in John 17; "I have made known to them your name and I will make it known so that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in them."

"He who acts in truth comes to the light so his deeds are revealed as works of God."

"The Lord is near to all who call upon Him, who call upon Him in truth."

"Speak the truth to one another"

"(Father) your word is truth.

"They shall call upon my name and I will hear them, I will say they are my people and they will say, the Lord is my God."
So what is your answer to His name?

Old 08-10-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
So what is your answer to His name?
Read my last post again. Remember the name is revealed to those that the Father gives to the son of man. The Lord's power is His word and scripture says His power is known to His servants. To know His word one must serve the Lord in spirit and truth.

"Whoever seeks the glory of the One who sent him is truthful and there is no unrighteousness in him."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity