Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 06:37 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,634,583 times

Advertisements

COLUMBIA, SC — Columbia church pastor Johnnie Clark was sentenced to one day in jail Thursday, after being found guilty in Columbia Municipal Court of violating city noise limits.

Clark leads worshipers at Rehoboth United Assemblies on Laurel Street. The church has been in its current location for a quarter-century. Recent redevelopment downtown has brought the church into conflict with some owners of newly built homes along that street.

Read more here: COLUMBIA, SC: ‘Joyful noise’ puts Columbia pastor in jail | Crime | The State
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 07:30 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,704,417 times
How sad ! !
What I don't understand is how on earth can it be that loud when your inside your home ? I mean there is the distance from the church to your home and then you have the walls that the noise (singing) would have to penetrate, right ?
It couldn't possibly be that loud to create such disturbance to complain about !. Truly is sad !
I guess the Pastor will be spending a lot of time in that jail house

Old 09-16-2014, 11:13 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,246,324 times
What is a shame is that this Pastor has no regard for his neighbor's right to peace and quiet. I certainly would not want to live within earshot of a loud Pentecostal type church. I like peace and quiet. I like worship music, but not at an ear-drum busting volume.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:25 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,408,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
What is a shame is that this Pastor has no regard for his neighbor's right to peace and quiet. I certainly would not want to live within earshot of a loud Pentecostal type church. I like peace and quiet. I like worship music, but not at an ear-drum busting volume.
Yes, no more than I'd want to live next to a loud bar or sports' arena or anyplace with a noise level that would cause such a disturbance. Is it normal to zone residential within earshot of a church like that? Poor home owners.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:29 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,216,558 times
Perhaps the church could hold a fundraiser to add soundproofing to their building.

I'll bet the new neighbours would be delighted to pitch in with donations.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:39 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,212,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Yes, no more than I'd want to live next to a loud bar or sports' arena or anyplace with a noise level that would cause such a disturbance. Is it normal to zone residential within earshot of a church like that? Poor home owners.
I like a quiet neighborhood, and there is no way I would want to have a loud bar, sports arena or a church that plays loud music (despite the fact that have a number of recordings of exactly that type of music) near to my home.

BUT if the places are already in existence it seems inappropriately punitive to insist that they change. Could the home buyers have really been so naive about the "joyful noise" of such a church?

I think the minister is quite right to object.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:07 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,408,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I like a quiet neighborhood, and there is no way I would want to have a loud bar, sports arena or a church that plays loud music (despite the fact that have a number of recordings of exactly that type of music) near to my home.

BUT if the places are already in existence it seems inappropriately punitive to insist that they change. Could the home buyers have really been so naive about the "joyful noise" of such a church?

I think the minister is quite right to object.
I have no way of knowing what the home buyers knew or did not know about the practices of any given church. If they didn't visit the neighborhood at the time of a church service, I imagine they may not have been aware of the noise level. I was just wondering if it is common practice to zone residential dwellings without any regard for the noise level of current establishments? And if, say, a bar in a residential area exceeded an acceptable noise level, would the owner be held responsible to nip that in the bud or face jail time?

Old 09-16-2014, 12:15 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,092,933 times
I read this when it first happened and if I'm not mistaken the Church had more than 50 noise complaints over time and most of them were past 8pm..I play lead guitar in Churches all over and would definately turn my volume down after the 1st time the law showed up regardless of what a Pastor said..not a good way to spread the good news among your neighbors acting like that.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:37 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,934,911 times
Precisely, muleskinner. Ordinances establish acceptable decible ratings and I'm sure that they are within easy reach of that church if they were willing to comply.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:13 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,092,933 times
I agree...as a member of the AOG I know these pentecostal types think God is deaf sometimes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity