Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 05:14 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,603,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Why can't you just appreciate the free-will your god has claimed to have given to everyone, and leave it at that?
Where is this road where you can drive 60 MPH and ahead is a huge cliff? Sounds like a modern day biblical fiction tale.
I was explaining to him what it is like for a person to see danger ahead while another one can be driving along a road and not see the danger ahead.. because i am coming from another point of view. and while he is being flippant about it, i am trying to warn him that i see danger. it was an example to try to get him to see what it feels like for me.

As to your question about the free will. I do have free will because I am free in Christ. I am not perfect. i wrote about it on another topic. I feel like i am a pretty lousy christian in some ways. but i still trust christ somehow and i believe he will allow me to make it. I'm pretty critical of myself. but i do believe the words i say to you. i need to apply more of it to me but i do believe what i say because it has become real to me. not just empty words. the more i live the more i free free.

there is the 5th book in the New Testament called Romans which lays out what I am saying. its pretty challenging. it says that people are slaves to sin. just look at the world and how people are doing crazy stuff. why do they do it? sorta because they cant help it - they have a sin nature and this drives them to sin. they are not free. but Jesus came to set those very people free. even when he was on the earth he said he came to seek and save those lost. he didn't even condemn the simple people.. he condemned the hypocrite too perfect pharasees. he stuck up for those who meant well.

so not everyone has free will. some are slaves to sin, only you are free in Christ Jesus. but we are not perfect, we are every day working to try to become more pleasing to Jesus who we claim to serve, unfortunately sometimes we fall short but at least we have a chance to overcome now. some peopel dont, and thats why you have all this turmoil happening in the world, people shooting over nothing, ISIS terrorists, etc. so much trouble, its because they are slaves to sin. they dont know God. they have a form of religion but its not Godly. its evil. only Jesus makes us free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 06:03 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,654,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I was explaining to him what it is like for a person to see danger ahead while another one can be driving along a road and not see the danger ahead.. because i am coming from another point of view. and while he is being flippant about it, i am trying to warn him that i see danger. it was an example to try to get him to see what it feels like for me.

As to your question about the free will. I do have free will because I am free in Christ. I am not perfect. i wrote about it on another topic. I feel like i am a pretty lousy christian in some ways. but i still trust christ somehow and i believe he will allow me to make it. I'm pretty critical of myself. but i do believe the words i say to you. i need to apply more of it to me but i do believe what i say because it has become real to me. not just empty words. the more i live the more i free free.

there is the 5th book in the New Testament called Romans which lays out what I am saying. its pretty challenging. it says that people are slaves to sin. just look at the world and how people are doing crazy stuff. why do they do it? sorta because they cant help it - they have a sin nature and this drives them to sin. they are not free. but Jesus came to set those very people free. even when he was on the earth he said he came to seek and save those lost. he didn't even condemn the simple people.. he condemned the hypocrite too perfect pharasees. he stuck up for those who meant well.

so not everyone has free will. some are slaves to sin, only you are free in Christ Jesus. but we are not perfect, we are every day working to try to become more pleasing to Jesus who we claim to serve, unfortunately sometimes we fall short but at least we have a chance to overcome now. some peopel dont, and thats why you have all this turmoil happening in the world, people shooting over nothing, ISIS terrorists, etc. so much trouble, its because they are slaves to sin. they dont know God. they have a form of religion but its not Godly. its evil. only Jesus makes us free.
I don't believe in sin. I hold myself accountable for my actions, I don't need to blame a devil or some evil spirits when things go wrong. I don't need to worship a demanding deity to be free. If you were truly free, you wouldn't feel the need to abide by a belief system filled with ancient superstitions.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:05 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,337,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zur View Post
But we have to be careful with so called NDE's, may be the devil can give people a deceptive view of eternity, he is a master of deception, he tried to deceive Jesus taking the Son of God and showing Him his kingdoms. I know he deceived a pastor, showing him "paradise". He also shows his servants his kingdom and promises them great reward, but in the end they go to hell, because he has nothing to offer.
Thank you for the respectful, gentle reply. That really ticks them off, doesn't it?

I am so wary of the deception of Satan. He's crafty but he's powerless over the redeemed.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:08 PM

I don't hang out here often but it really stuns me when I see the people who aren't believers who just come her to argue.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:32 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,938,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I don't hang out here often but it really stuns me when I see the people who aren't believers who just come her to argue.
I think you've got that backwards. It's the Fundamentalists who come in here to argue with the people who have an ounce of common sense.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:56 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,246,034 times
I find the stories of people who supposedly visited hell quite ludicrous. It is silly to expect people to believe these ridiculous tales of being dead and going to hell.

Last edited by Heart_Song; 09-19-2014 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-20-2014, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
millions converted to Christianity on fear of going to hell and suffering in flames for eternity
WOW! Don't be sad for me! I didn't even know about hell when I was alone in my house trying to recover from a nightmare in which I had unknowingly placed my young son in mortal danger. There was no hell in my dream, and no reference to religion. HOWEVER, common to Marines, in my dwelling was a small camoflaged pocket New Testament. I was pacing the floors trying to get the fear of that awful danger to release me. I had turned on lights, had crawled in beside my son, listened to him breathe, nothing would make it go away. I was frantic when I saw that book. As soon as I touched it (and I had touched a lot of things during that crisis) I felt a loosening of the terror. WHOA! I picked it up. Less fear. Okay...this is good. I sat and opened the book. I'm a serious dog person and was raised by an "agnostic" (rebellious) mother. The verse that was given to me included Jesus asking a woman "why should I give my children's food to the dogs?" and the woman replied "even the dogs get the crumbs that fall from the master's table". Wow. Verbal sparring at its best. I just love Jesus!

But to be separated from God would be eternal torment. That's what hell is. I believe the Bible 100%. Every word. And the gates of hell shall not prevail.... gates are made to protect. He shall conquer....

Old 09-20-2014, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I think you've got that backwards. It's the Fundamentalists who come in here to argue with the people who have an ounce of common sense.
Then we need a Fundamentalist section.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:36 AM

309 posts, read 261,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I'm not seeking any answers from "demons" and "evil spirits".
Understandable, but you can see through them just how evil and wicked humans and angels are without God in the afterlife. God did not create us to be evil, He created us to be good with Him in the afterlife.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:21 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,208,174 times
Hell is here.

There is no post-death hell as threatened in the bible.

And we're all headed to the same place when we die, whether Christian, Jew, Atheist or Satanist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity