Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 03:41 PM

3,671 posts, read 2,256,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszlady View Post
These are different people with different experiences. A theatre full of people all watch the same show, but take away a different meaning. But they were all watching the same thing.
There may be a lot to be skeptical about, but I have faith that God's word is his Holy Word. And His Word would not lead me astray. I trust God, and I trust the bible, no matter who believes or doesn't believe. That will never change my mind, or make me doubt God.
Amen, that's why we have abc news, nbc news, fox, and cnn news and other to get a different perspective, but the whole picture. what Mark, Matthews, or Luke don't give us John can, and what John can't give us Matthews can. that's why it's the gospels, so that you might believe. but take note, not everything our Lord Jesus did is nor all is recorded totally, that why we have the epistles of the apostles. and with all that, we have God himself, the Holy Spirit. so we're complete with Mark, with John, with Matthews, and with Luke, and the apostles. well that should be enough, so that you might believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 04:22 PM

802 posts, read 456,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mszlady View Post
These are different people with different experiences. A theatre full of people all watch the same show, but take away a different meaning. But they were all watching the same thing.
There may be a lot to be skeptical about, but I have faith that God's word is his Holy Word. And His Word would not lead me astray. I trust God, and I trust the bible, no matter who believes or doesn't believe. That will never change my mind, or make me doubt God.
RESPONSE:

Aren't you overlooking the fact, that unlike a theater performance, the gospels are supposedly "inspired" by the Holy Spirit? Did He really "inspire" four different versions of the story?

Old 09-26-2014, 04:45 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,132,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I will agree it was Sunday that they found the tomb empty, but when comparing all 4 sided by side, it looks like they came Saturday night right after the sun went down, which would be considered the 1st day of the week, but it was not a Sunday morning at dawn sunrise resurrection.

Matthew 28:1(NKJV)
He Is Risen28 Now after the Sabbath, as the first day of the week began to dawn, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to see the tomb.

Mark 16:1 (NKJV)He Is Risen16 Now when the Sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices, that they might come and anoint Him.

Luke 24:1 (NKJV)
He Is Risen24 Now on the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they, and certain other women with them,[a] came to the tomb bringing the spices which they had prepared.

John 20:1 (NKJV)
The Empty Tomb20 Now on the first day of the week Mary Magdalene went to the tomb early, while it was still dark, and saw that the stone had been taken away from the tomb.
It seems quite unusual to go visit a tomb to do the necessary rituals at night. Would they do it by torchlight?

It also seems quite unusual to refer to sundown as the day beginning to dawn.

In addition, you quoted Mark 16:1 but not 16:2. They bought the spices after sundown when the Sabbath had ended but they went to the tomb “early in the morning” and got there “when the sun had risen”.

NKJV Mk 16:2 Very early in the morning, on the first day of the week, they came to the tomb when the sun had risen.

John says they went when it was still dark. This sounds more like very early in the morning rather than late at night.

Here are several other translations that make it clear that it was Sunday morning and not the night before.

Matthew 28:1

NIV After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb.

NASB Now after the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to look at the grave.

NLT Early on Sunday morning, as the new day was dawning, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went out to visit the tomb.

Mark 16:1-2

NIV When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices so that they might go to anoint Jesus’ body. 2 Very early on the first day of the week, just after sunrise, they were on their way to the tomb

NASB When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, bought spices, so that they might come and anoint Him. 2 Very early on the first day of the week, they came to the tomb when the sun had risen.

NLT Saturday evening, when the Sabbath ended, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome went out and purchased burial spices so they could anoint Jesus’ body. 2 Very early on Sunday morning, just at sunrise, they went to the tomb.

Luke 24:1

NIV On the first day of the week, very early in the morning, the women took the spices they had prepared and went to the tomb.

NASB But on the first day of the week, at early dawn, they came to the tomb bringing the spices which they had prepared.

NLT But very early on Sunday morning the women went to the tomb, taking the spices they had prepared.

John 20:1

NIV Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene went to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the entrance.

NASB Now on the first day of the week Mary Magdalene came early to the tomb, while it was still dark, and saw the stone already taken away from the tomb.

NLT Early on Sunday morning, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene came to the tomb and found that the stone had been rolled away from the entrance.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I will agree it was Sunday that they found the tomb empty, but when comparing all 4 sided by side, it looks like they came Saturday night right after the sun went down, which would be considered the 1st day of the week, but it was not a Sunday morning at dawn sunrise resurrection.

Matthew 28:1(NKJV)
He Is Risen28 Now after the Sabbath, as the first day of the week began to dawn, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to see the tomb.

Mark 16:1 (NKJV)He Is Risen16 Now when the Sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices, that they might come and anoint Him.

Luke 24:1 (NKJV)
He Is Risen24 Now on the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they, and certain other women with them,[a] came to the tomb bringing the spices which they had prepared.

John 20:1 (NKJV)
The Empty Tomb20 Now on the first day of the week Mary Magdalene went to the tomb early, while it was still dark, and saw that the stone had been taken away from the tomb.
RESPONSE:

I think that the passages you should be looking at (in the KJV) are Mt 28:6, Mark 16:6, Luke 24:6,and John 20:9

If you review a Greek interlinear translation Matthew and Mark use Strong's number G1453 (raised) and Luke and John use Strong's number G450 (raised or rouse)

Thus according to four gospels Jesus' Resurrection was passive, He was raised by God, he did not rise by his own power (active).

The distinction is significant, because if Jesus was raised rather than rose, it suggests that Jesus was not divine.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:02 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,510,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo2 View Post
RESPONSE:

I think that the passages you should be looking at (in the KJV) are Mt 28:6, Mark 16:6, Luke 24:6,and John 20:9

If you review a Greek interlinear translation Matthew and Mark use Strong's number G1453 (raised) and Luke and John use Strong's number G450 (raised or rouse)

Thus according to four gospels Jesus' Resurrection was passive, He was raised by God, he did not rise by his own power (active).

The distinction is significant, because if Jesus was raised rather than rose, it suggests that Jesus was not divine.
You got something right.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:25 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,633,437 times
Quote:

? Christ and God are one and the same. There is no conflict or one doing something "to" the other.
Concerning the ending of Mark, it's nothing to fret over.
The Ending of Mark (Mark 16:9-20)
Why Mark 16:9-20 Belongs in the Bible

Old 09-26-2014, 06:40 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,132,129 times
Quote:
RESPONSE:

Paul also uses the passive form, explicitly saying that God raised Jesus and that this implies that God will raise believers.

(All NIV)

1 Corinthians 6:14
By his power God raised the Lord from the dead, and he will raise us also.

1 Corinthians 15:12-17
12 But if it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13 If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. 14 And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. 15 More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised. 16 For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. 17 And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins.

2 Corinthians 4:14
because we know that the one who raised the Lord Jesus from the dead will also raise us with Jesus and present us with you to himself.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:30 AM

Acts 2:22-24

22“You that are Israelites, listen to what I have to say: Jesus of Nazareth, a man attested to you by God with deeds of power, wonders, and signs that God did through him among you, as you yourselves know— 23this man, handed over to you according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of those outside the law. 24But God raised him up, having freed him from death, because it was impossible for him to be held in its power

Thus, God's divine power was responsible, not Jesus.'

Old 09-27-2014, 06:52 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,543,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
? Christ and God are one and the same. There is no conflict or one doing something "to" the other.
Concerning the ending of Mark, it's nothing to fret over.
The Ending of Mark (Mark 16:9-20)
Why Mark 16:9-20 Belongs in the Bible
A factoid that is ignored is that Jesus remained sinless throughout his life.
Certain statements by Jesus would have convicted him of sin, one of which was:
John 2:19
Jesus answered them, “Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days.”
Jesus specifically stated that he would raise himself

Last edited by twin.spin; 09-27-2014 at 07:14 AM..

Old 09-27-2014, 07:21 AM

32,533 posts, read 22,166,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
A factoid that is ignored is that Jesus remained sinless throughout his life.
Certain statements by Jesus would have convicted him of sin, one of which was:
John 2:19
Jesus answered them, “Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days.”
Jesus specifically stated that he would raise himself
Other writings state that it was HaShem...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity