Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 02:15 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,250,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
As a dog returns to its vomit, so fools repeat their folly. Prov. 26:11
It is shameful the way you use the scriptures to attack people personally who you have never even met. You are one of many who use the BIBLE as a weapon to abuse people. There are millions of you parading around the globe. Keep in mind, you shall reap as you sow and as you judged, thus shall you be judged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 01:15 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,893,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
It is shameful the way you use the scriptures to attack people personally who you have never even met. You are one of many who use the BIBLE as a weapon to abuse people. There are millions of you parading around the globe. Keep in mind, you shall reap as you sow and as you judged, thus shall you be judged.
Most of us on the Christian forum only know each other by the words and opinions we post. You have chosen to 'judge' me by my use of scripture. Yet, you seem to completely ignore the shameless rejection, ridicule and denigration of scripture, Christians and the things of God, by a group of people who persistently contribute nothing else to the CHRISTIAN forum. (Even here, you completely ignored the ridicule of the post/s this responded to!). You also seem to frequently congratulate and applaud these detractors!

You may have a point regarding the nature of my post - and I may have been wrong in posting it. But, I would rather be 'judged' as one who at least attempts to stand-up for the truth of scripture, rather than be found among those who deny and ridicule scripture and consistently encourage others to do likewise.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:54 PM

13,753 posts, read 13,407,633 times
In the OP, I like your first paragraph.

When something goes against what's written in the Bible then it's not scriptural, right? I personally want a church that follows the teachings in the Bible which I believe to be inspired and written by God through many authors.

Does anyone else in your church feel as you do? Leaders will be held to a higher standard/be judged more harshly because they can easily mislead.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:53 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,978,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
In the OP, I like your first paragraph.

When something goes against what's written in the Bible then it's not scriptural, right? I personally want a church that follows the teachings in the Bible which I believe to be inspired and written by God through many authors.

Does anyone else in your church feel as you do? Leaders will be held to a higher standard/be judged more harshly because they can easily mislead.
What is your take on the following biblical passage from John 14: 16"I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; 17that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you.…

Old 10-19-2014, 09:17 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,303,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
What is your take on the following biblical passage from John 14: 16"I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; 17that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you.…
Interesting passage, Nate. I take it you and some other Christians believe that "Spirit of truth" is the third member of the Trinity - the Holy Ghost/Spirit? And that s/he/it helps one discern right from wrong?

To a non-believer, the passage seems to refer to one's conscience. Would they be (metaphorically) the same?

Old 10-19-2014, 12:50 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,893,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
And yet, when I ask why "Bible believers" don't seem to believe Jesus' promise in John 14:"16"I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; 17that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you.…" Which is the basis for the doctrine you see us talking about, I don't seem to get an answer.

Perhaps, jg, YOU will do so?
I'm not sure what Bible believers you speak of "who don't believe John 14:14-17" (??) In those passages, Jesus spoke about the Holy Spirit who would subsequently indwell and 'seal' all believers/disciples of Christ. He declared that this is the Spirit of Truth (in 'born again' believers - also John 3), but, not in the world (aka: those who reject Him and His Word). Paul further explained this:

1 Cor. 2:10-16 - 10 these are the things God has revealed to us by his Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. 11 For who knows a person’s thoughts except their own spirit within them? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. 12 What we have received is not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may understand what God has freely given us. 13 This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual realities with Spirit-taught words. 14 The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit. 15 The person with the Spirit makes judgments about all things, but such a person is not subject to merely human judgments, 16 for, “Who has known the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him” But we have the mind of Christ.

?? Are you suggesting that the Holy Spirit somehow negates or invalidates scripture?? That can't be, since it is only through scripture that we know about the teachings of Christ and the work of the Holy Spirit. --- Or, do you believe that all people are 'born again in God's Holy Spirit', even though scripture clearly teaches otherwise??

Last edited by jghorton; 10-19-2014 at 01:04 PM..

Old 10-19-2014, 02:04 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,471,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
When a person is brainwashed, it is extremely difficult or nearly impossible for them to think for themselves.
The inner voice of that person, which acts as a guide to the rightness or wrongness of a thing has been seared.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Interesting passage, Nate. I take it you and some other Christians believe that "Spirit of truth" is the third member of the Trinity - the Holy Ghost/Spirit? And that s/he/it helps one discern right from wrong?

To a non-believer, the passage seems to refer to one's conscience. Would they be (metaphorically) the same?
Trinitarians believe that, yes. "Conscience" is probably the closest thing in a materialist worldview that would be a description, but I would say "conscience informed by a vested concern for the well-being of all concerned in any give situation.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I'm not sure what Bible believers you speak of "who don't believe John 14:14-17" (??) In those passages, Jesus spoke about the Holy Spirit who would subsequently indwell and 'seal' all believers/disciples of Christ. He declared that this is the Spirit of Truth (in 'born again' believers - also John 3), but, not in the world (aka: those who reject Him and His Word). Paul further explained this:

1 Cor. 2:10-16 - 10 these are the things God has revealed to us by his Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. 11 For who knows a person’s thoughts except their own spirit within them? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. 12 What we have received is not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may understand what God has freely given us. 13 This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual realities with Spirit-taught words. 14 The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit. 15 The person with the Spirit makes judgments about all things, but such a person is not subject to merely human judgments, 16 for, “Who has known the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him” But we have the mind of Christ.

?? Are you suggesting that the Holy Spirit somehow negates or invalidates scripture?? That can't be, since it is only through scripture that we know about the teachings of Christ and the work of the Holy Spirit. --- Or, do you believe that all people are 'born again in God's Holy Spirit', even though scripture clearly teaches otherwise??
I am talking about "Sola Scriptura" which makes scripture THE authority, replacing the spirit at worst and limiting the Spirit at best. Our FIRST resource should be that Spirit that informs us with concern for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity